Who uses FRETLESS bass these days?

Electric, Acoustic, Double Bass, Bassists
PilbaraBass

Who uses FRETLESS bass these days?

Post by PilbaraBass » 16 Nov 2011, 13:51

I've a Fretless ATK that I love. Much the same tonally as a fretless 'ray. I have it strung with D'Addario nylon tapes...really nice tone...:)
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

Soong

Re: Who uses FRETLESS bass these days?

Post by Soong » 16 Nov 2011, 15:58

slowlearner wrote:Some nice "uprightish" sounds there Mr Soong. BTW, I've met your sax player at the hawksbury Jazz club before.

P.s. that singer has an awesome voice. :)
Thanks Pete! Small world with my sax player. I'm rehearsing with him tonight, i'll ask him about it! And yes, the singer is great!
harmonyriver wrote:Mr Soong,
this is a very nice video - thanks for sharing!
AND WHO IS THAT AMAZING SINGER?????!!!!!!
Thanks mate. We found our singer at a wedding singing to BACKING TRACKS!!! Our manager heard her and got her in a band right away. She's a great singer and a very hard worker (not an amazingly large repertoire but steadily getting there!)
BassLine wrote:@soong - great sound for your band. Any more songs? Add a link pls.
Thanks. The drummer was just a fill in. Great player but I wish our normal guy was in the clip. We're working on a series of music youtube videos like the one you saw. We're doing Beyonce's 'Love on Top' next. Check it out if you havent heard it. Truly a great modern RnB tune. Some very average quality youtube videos of our band can also be found here: http://www.youtube.com/theridiculousband
Aussie Mark wrote: More photos would be appreciated too :drool:
:ninja: Employ your internet skills on that one...you can do it! :thumbup:

To answer the above question, tbh there some gigs where fretless might sound great for 3 or 4 songs out of 40, so I don't bother at times. Still would never get rid of it though.
Keep in touch with me online!
Facebook
YouTube
Instagram

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 16 Nov 2011, 16:08

BassLine wrote:Stingray and Fretless go together really well IMO. :)
@Mark: how well would it's tone fit into a band today? (top 40, covers, dub/reggae, jazz, etc)
Just fine, I would say. I'm no Jaco so on the occasions when I chose to take the fretless to a rock/blues gig I just played it the same as I'd play a fretted bass. To my fingers it was just another Stingray - muscle memory helps a lot if the neck width and scale are the same.

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender Bassman 500 and Neo 410

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 20 Nov 2011, 12:38

Here's a link to review of Cave Passive Pedal and how it worked with my Ibanez Musician Fretless bass:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=6152&start=150

Worked really nicely!!
Oz Bass Forum Moderator

Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 29 Nov 2011, 15:37

I bought a Rob Allen Mouse - unlined Fretless 30" short scale bass recently. Absolutely love the piezo sound of it - so dynamic and 'alive', despite having the tone dialed back (URB tone). I've always wanted to play URB but realise how much work it takes to play, practice, carry and maintain. This should keep me satisfied for a long time to come.

I'll try to find a Jazz jam band to get my jazz chops back up again. I love working with a good piano player, might add a singer and drummer down the track.
Oz Bass Forum Moderator

toon

Post by toon » 29 Nov 2011, 16:07

Yep now played 3 gigs with my fretless. And auditioned for a new Alt Rock band with it. They loved the tone.
Account deactivated - banned member

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 30 Nov 2011, 01:11

toon wrote:Yep now played 3 gigs with my fretless. And auditioned for a new Alt Rock band with it. They loved the tone.
Speedy Gonzalez !!! :thumbup:
Oz Bass Forum Moderator

toon

Post by toon » 30 Nov 2011, 18:52

Yes, I have pros and cons.

Pros - Rarely look at the fretboard, so the transition was quite easy.
Cons - Poor theory knowledge.

evilgus

Post by evilgus » 30 Nov 2011, 19:52

Well, as soon as I can make the final payment on my Pentabuzz, I'll be playing fretless about 50% of the time! :)

Personally, I think whether it fits in with your current projects depends a lot on how/what you play and how good your intonation is. Every time I've taken my Tobias 6 FL to a jam, the guys have loved the sound, but if I haven't paid attention to my intonation, get appropriately cringey looks. :)

My favourite "modern" fretless playing wold be Sean Malone on Cynics Traced In Air album. Fat, punchy and warm tone, some elements of fretless finery, but totally in context and really supports the heaviness of it all. :)

Cheers,

Just.in

toon

Post by toon » 30 Nov 2011, 20:19

I used quite a few effects in my Alt rock band, the tone is far better than my previous fretted neck. But definately doesnt sound like a cliche fretless.

I think if you play a fretless in the traditional sense, swells, slides, eq it for the mwah I think its harder to make it fit. But if you play like you would any other bass it can fit in any genre.

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 30 Nov 2011, 20:43

toon wrote:....I think if you play a fretless in the traditional sense, swells, slides, eq it for the mwah I think its harder to make it fit. But if you play like you would any other bass it can fit in any genre.
Haha. Every guitarist wanted to shred like Van Halen, every singer wanted to wail like Robert Plant, every sax player wanted to w@nk like Kenny G..... and every Fretless bass player wanted to mwah like Jaco. Get over it and move on people, time for a new sound!! You can still play a Fretless but not get stuck in a 70's/80's vortex.... If the Mullet can change, so can you.

(Sadly, soprano sax might never recover). ;)
Oz Bass Forum Moderator

terry

Post by terry » 30 Nov 2011, 20:51

I had a fretless for 2 weeks. It really was the best thing since it really opened my fingerstyle playing, kinda wished I got one these days. This just reminds me that I need one for my album.
Low End Jazz 5 - EBS Reidmar 250 - MarkBass RJ15

Bass Lesson Enquiries: roma.terry@gmail.com

evilgus

Post by evilgus » 30 Nov 2011, 21:54

Forgot to say I've just been listening to all my old Talk Talk albums, Paul Webb's fretless playing is awesome! A great example of straight fretless playing in a pop context.

Cheers,

Just.out.a.bit

TheMachineIdol

Post by TheMachineIdol » 30 Nov 2011, 22:02

One of my cover bands opens the night with an acoustic set.. Dragging the upright to play 1 set got old real quick, so logical choice was to switch to fretless

I have 3, a Yamaha RBX 170 that I converted myself (a housemate gave me a box of parts) and it is hideous..l Its 4 different colours, and ugly as sin... I love it!! I then converted an RBX 375 and did a super sweet job on that and play it all the time, and also have a Curbow fretless that is unlined and fun to play...

Although my Old man has a 1970's Ibanez Short scale Les Paul clone that is just so sweet....

I often take them and play the night with them.. depends on how i feel... One of my Influences is Colin Edwin from Porcupine Tree, and he for a large number of years played just his one Wal fretless..

But like everything, it's a matter of taste; I like them, I like being able to switch frame of mind..

toon

Post by toon » 01 Dec 2011, 09:12

BassLine wrote:
toon wrote:....I think if you play a fretless in the traditional sense, swells, slides, eq it for the mwah I think its harder to make it fit. But if you play like you would any other bass it can fit in any genre.
Haha. Every guitarist wanted to shred like Van Halen, every singer wanted to wail like Robert Plant, every sax player wanted to w@nk like Kenny G..... and every Fretless bass player wanted to mwah like Jaco. Get over it and move on people, time for a new sound!! You can still play a Fretless but not get stuck in a 70's/80's vortex.... If the Mullet can change, so can you.

(Sadly, soprano sax might never recover). ;)
+1

My fretless will have its real test in a fortnight.
I have used it for a blues and classic rock. It was superb. For a alternative rock band - think butterfly effect. Perfect. Next is a fill in for a melodic death metal band.

Though I use effects that my favorite players use. Eg. Chris wolstenholme, Glenn Esmonde, Justin chancellor. I play and setup up my fretless. Eg. Strings, pups, preamp,equal to sound like me.