Bridge - Through Body or Through Bridge?

Electric, Acoustic, Double Bass, Bassists
grumpy_dog666

Bridge - Through Body or Through Bridge?

Post by grumpy_dog666 » 15 Apr 2009, 02:28

just got my Lakland bass.

LURVE IT.......but wanted to know

what do people prefer, string the bass with the through body holes or through the bridge holes?

whats the effect?
Human Base Roxy B4
Ibanez Promethean B3115

whatthekoon

Re: Bridge - Through Body or Through Bridge?

Post by whatthekoon » 15 Apr 2009, 06:49

I used to string through the body when I owned an Ibanez ATK. The sound was a little tighter especially on the B string. It's not a dramatic difference though.

ROON

Post by ROON » 16 Apr 2009, 02:20

Apparently, through body increases sustain and tension. Through bridge increases attack. I dunno, couldn't care less to be honest. It's one of those things that doesn't really matter.
- Josh

Rude_Mechanical

Post by Rude_Mechanical » 16 Apr 2009, 07:47

Repeat after me: string tension is a function of string gauge & construction, the instrument's scale length and the pitch to which it is tuned. It is not affected by stringing through the body, using a reversed headstock, adding washers beyond the bridge etc etc.

That's Ibanez, Timmy C & Gary WIllis to blame for the above examples.

What through-body stringing will do for you is increase the downward force over the bridge saddles, increasing the string coupling which might add a bit of sustain. Others have said that it stops the bridge saddles from rattling, or skating all over the place (I'm looking at you, MIM Fender bridges!).

The one thing I can say for sure is that a dual-load bridge increases the options available to you when buying strings ;)

c-
"Turn everything to 11, dump instruments in front of the amp and manipulate pedals for 5 minutes" - me.

bianchijustin

Post by bianchijustin » 16 Apr 2009, 10:51

Yeah +1 Rude_M. I have had my 55-94 for about 3 years now and have tried every possible config... the brand of string is really only deciding factor. IMHO. Get some R Cocco strings on it and it will growl and bark and snap like a rabid dog!!

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There is also a negative side".
Hunter S. Thompson