A guitar I made in graphics for schoool.

Electric, Acoustic, Double Bass, Bassists
Derek_L

A guitar I made in graphics for schoool.

Post by Derek_L » 30 Mar 2009, 18:56

eh, not too bad really. Need to obviously screw with the colors a bit more, add a logo and a few more deets on the bridge and should be good to go.

The non-rendered view looks far more complex, but I was too lazy to post two screenshots haha :)

Any further suggestions?
G&L = <3

Pantsman

Re: A guitar I made in graphics for schoool.

Post by Pantsman » 30 Mar 2009, 19:27

Its a chubby G&L Les Paul type bass right? :D

Derek_L

Post by Derek_L » 30 Mar 2009, 20:01

Hehe, well, I did intend to have it way more G&L-ish (I was going for the ASAT theme, hence the flat top), but then I messed around with the body shape and decided I like Les paul-ish theme happening, so yeah haha :lol:

edit, heres some dots lol:

G&L = <3

ROON

Post by ROON » 30 Mar 2009, 21:11

Cool. :) I have loads of bass concepts drawn in my books from when I get bored at college. I'd love to bring some of them into reality one day, whether it's me building them myself, or getting someone to do it for me!
- Josh

mkat

Post by mkat » 30 Mar 2009, 22:49

Derek_L,

Just a few thoughts, not in any order of importance. The last 4 frets (I think, can't see it well in the drawing) will be very difficult to access that deep into the body. Effectively, you have a 19 or 20 (pushing it) frets that are playable unless the last 4 are specifically for tapping (kind of a waste). Adjusting the body design can correct this.

The string spacing at the nut and bridge almost look the same, that may feel weird. Wide spacing at the nut (difficult to span strings, jumps, harmonics and so on) and not wide enough at the bridge (cramped right hand) will cause issues while playing. The control plate seems a little too close to the bridge pickup and neck pickup a little close to the scratch plate.

I've seen some not very nice looking scratch plates, but yours looks good. The pots look like they're too close together, you'll have issues adjusting while playing if that's the case. Also, the strings from the nut to the tuners look like they're angled up. A minor headstock adjustment will allow you to straighten them if that's your intent.
Michael
http://mklutherie.com

int main(void) {return 0;} /* no bugs, lean, portable & scalable... */

Bass People

Post by Bass People » 31 Mar 2009, 07:19

Nice.

I agree with mkat regarding the unusability of the last few frets and the controls being too close together (and too large if they are going to be that close together).

The controls are also probably too close to the strings.

The pickguard looks cool - but is ineffective at preventing scratches (unless you play over the end of the fingerboard). Unless its purely an artistic statement - the pickguard needs to be where someone might actually pick.

I like the "frosted white" colour scheme.

Keep going.

mkat

Post by mkat » 31 Mar 2009, 10:18

dnburgess wrote:The pickguard looks cool - but is ineffective at preventing scratches (unless you play over the end of the fingerboard). Unless its purely an artistic statement - the pickguard needs to be where someone might actually pick.
:hmm It is effective for slapping, I have a quite a few light scratches in the same area which the pickguard in Derek_L's bass covers. Personally, I don't like pickguards and never use them on basses and guitars I make, I reckon they're a huge pain in the proverbial in most cases and hide nice figuring. I do agree that the controls are close to the strings.
Michael
http://mklutherie.com

int main(void) {return 0;} /* no bugs, lean, portable & scalable... */