7 STRING - TUNED BEADGBE ????

Electric, Acoustic, Double Bass, Bassists
bigtweedie

7 STRING - TUNED BEADGBE ????

Post by bigtweedie » 22 Mar 2009, 22:53

Hi all, I'm wanting to get a custom 7 string bass built... and tune it same as a guitar but with the low B.

has anyone tried this? can anyone point me in the right direction for getting one made... someone who has done strange stuff like that before.

Tweedie

jazzcrime

Re: 7 STRING - TUNED BEADGBE ????

Post by jazzcrime » 23 Mar 2009, 07:32

maruzzi in sydney

jamiesdad

Post by jamiesdad » 23 Mar 2009, 07:38

don't think rick is working anymore ...

phil mailloux in qld might be worth a call :peep:
Friendly Forum Mod

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 23 Mar 2009, 09:37

Just so you know, a common method of tuning a 7-string bass BEADGCF...any bass setup this way can be modified easily to BEADGBE (usually just a string gauge change and a bit of nut slot filing, if even)...usually there's enough tension on the first two strings that you can simply tune it from BEADGCF to BEADGBE without doing anything...

There aren't a lot of companies that make 7-stringers as a standard product...Conklin in the USA does..

For customs ... You may want to contact Phil Mailloux about making a 7...and also Dave Pushic and Alex Watson in the USA make them...but given the x-rate at the moment, in-Aus may be the go...

there's a web forum called sevenstring.org that may help, too...
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

Nigel

Post by Nigel » 23 Mar 2009, 14:30

bigtweedie wrote:Hi all, I'm wanting to get a custom 7 string bass built... and tune it same as a guitar but with the low B.

has anyone tried this? can anyone point me in the right direction for getting one made... someone who has done strange stuff like that before.

Tweedie
You'd only tune it this way if you were planning on strumming chords and were experimenting with alternate styles of playing. I think if you were simply finger playing and particularly slap you be better off with BEADGCF. Just my opinion though. I can tell you that after sitting down with Phill Mailloux (and learning to pronounce his last name properly - "may-oo" for those who are curious) and talking my dream build through with him I would be using him, if were ordering a custom today.
Mailloux Custom "Lucky 13", EA Doubler, Barefaced Midget 110, Mojo-Sonic 1x10.

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 23 Mar 2009, 15:37

Speckled Jim wrote:
bigtweedie wrote:Hi all, I'm wanting to get a custom 7 string bass built... and tune it same as a guitar but with the low B.

Tweedie
You'd only tune it this way if you were planning on strumming chords and were experimenting with alternate styles of playing. I think if you were simply finger playing and particularly slap you be better off with BEADGCF. Just my opinion though. I can tell you that after sitting down with Phill Mailloux (and learning to pronounce his last name properly - "may-oo" for those who are curious) and talking my dream build through with him I would be using him, if were ordering a custom today.
I agree on all counts, Nigel...(including the pronunciation of Phil's surname :D )

I'll repeat, my statement about tuning, however...if you select a setup with a string gauge 0.05 on the heavy side for the high C & F strings, retuning to B & E would just be detuning (no adjustments necessary)
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » 23 Mar 2009, 17:39

It's more like "May you" though ;)

Welcome to the forum Bigtweetie, I feel kinda weird having to say "i'm willing to do that" in public like this after the guys already mentoned me a few times :ninja:

I would have to agree I've done "strange stuff like that" before as you mention. You can send me a PM or e-mail if you'd like to chat more about that.

Derek_L

Post by Derek_L » 23 Mar 2009, 18:24

So many strings on that it looks like a short scale :lol:
G&L = <3

bigtweedie

Post by bigtweedie » 23 Mar 2009, 20:58

Thanks for replys guys... I will be in touch Phil.

I also play alot of guitar and would love to be able to transfer soloing "chops" between the two.... thats my reason the the tuning... so I don' thave to think... just play

Rude_Mechanical

Post by Rude_Mechanical » 24 Mar 2009, 07:44

No sleep for Phil again!
"Turn everything to 11, dump instruments in front of the amp and manipulate pedals for 5 minutes" - me.

Pantsman

Post by Pantsman » 24 Mar 2009, 20:11

I do a similar tuning on my 5 string, same as the first 5 of a guitar in drop C, CGCFA .. i think :hmm :red face