Maton JB4 Lives Again! (The Proof Is Here)

Electric, Acoustic, Double Bass, Bassists
Jpave

Re: Maton JB4 Lives Again! (The Proof Is Here)

Post by Jpave » 23 Jun 2011, 18:47

I played a JB4 Fretted today at Guitar World. Nice to play... looked alot better in the flesh.
They have it for $1999 here http://www.guitar.com.au/guitars/bass/maton/index.htm but said they could do it a little cheaper.

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 24 Jun 2011, 09:20

Jpave wrote:I played a JB4 Fretted today at Guitar World. Nice to play... looked alot better in the flesh.
They have it for $1999 here http://www.guitar.com.au/guitars/bass/maton/index.htm but said they could do it a little cheaper.
They are on eBay fairly regularly for $1599. eg. Haworths are one seller.

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender Bassman 500 and Neo 410

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

Jpave

Post by Jpave » 25 Jun 2011, 12:48

Yeh just called them... they said they would do it for that... I'll put some pics up if i get it

bsod

Post by bsod » 07 Jul 2011, 19:07

Actually Maton have finally added them to their products page and have even put up some nice pictures as well. http://www.maton.com.au/basses/jb4.html

I'll put up some pics of mine sometime soon.

Craig

jezzamac

Post by jezzamac » 08 Jul 2011, 16:55

Fender '78 Precision, Squier CV Jazz, Maton JBIV, Ibanez SR405, G&L Tribute SB2, Ashbory and Markbass CMD121P, Fender Rumble V# 12" cab, GK 400RB, No-name 4x10 cab
funKtus, Samurai Trash, Exploding Happiness, Night Radio (no longer).

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 10 Jul 2011, 12:37

jezzamac wrote:Even cheaper at shire music
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Maton-JB4-Fr ... 2a12223abd

Wow....that's a great deal :thumbup:
IB-Classic#001, Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"If you keep buying things you DON'T need, eventually you'll have to start selling things you DO need"

bassketcase

Post by bassketcase » 16 Jul 2011, 12:32

Well I went and had a bash on a new JB4 yesterday at my local, so I thought I d give it a little review.

Finish: To me the finish on the body and fretboard is really nice. I would say fairly understated and classy. It did have a small chip out if the woodwork right next to the p/up selector though - probably due to poor handling from the shop staff or customers. Weight wise I was really surprised how light it was - felt about half the weight of my 80's MGB4, which is a tank. Not as light as say a good US Lakland or Sadowsky but more towards a Fender. 7.5/10

Playability: Action was a tad high and string tension the same but it played fairly well nonethless. I wouldn't say buttery to play but smooth enough - P bass feel on the neck. Fingerstyle it was wasy enough to move around the fretboard. I am not a great slapper but it still felt like this wouldnt be a slappers deam but perhaps with a lower action or lower tension strings it may be a bit easier as I found it tough to get my 'pops' clean and clear. 7/10

Tone: I played it through an Ashdown 350 something and matcching 410 (sorry don't know Ashdown stuff). Controls were flat on the amp, and tone was fully open. With both p/ups on sounded very full and fat. Probably a really great rock tone. I would say it was concentrated in the low - low mids to the point were it was a bit too dark for my liking. It would be a pretty good pocket tone, but not sure how it would slice in a mix if you want to be heard. Neck split p/up was very P bass and bridge was fairly jazz like but not quite as articulate sounding as a high end jazz bass. I guess overall I would say a very 'pumping' solid tone that seemed to be quite rounded and full - I am not sure if that was inherent in the bass or the amp (never played Ashdown stuff) but even with the tone control open it seemed a bit round for my liking. 6.5/10

Value: The shop had it tagged at 1995 plus an extra 179 for a HC! Given that Shire had it at 1350 inc hard case I didn't even enquire about pushing the price down. Do I think this is a 2G bass? Probably not given that you can get such other awesome basses for that price that to me would play better and be more versatile. I think the 1350 price tag is more appropriate. 6/10

Overall: I love my 80's MGB4 and really wanted to walk away with a sister for her, however the JB4 just wasn't quite there for me. There were just elements missing that I would want if spending that kinda dough. If you could get one used for just over a grand or so though I think it would be a really nice bass to have in your collection. 7/10

Hope this helps but as always YMMV

Mike

jezzamac

Post by jezzamac » 16 Jul 2011, 23:12

I looked at a new jb4 but didn't get to plug it in but just fiddled about unplugged. It did not impress me. My 80s fretless plays like butter. This one seemed really clunky. Couldn't put my finger on what I didn't like but your review seems spot on. I was disappointed given I like mine so much
Last edited by jezzamac on 16 Feb 2012, 11:28, edited 1 time in total.
Fender '78 Precision, Squier CV Jazz, Maton JBIV, Ibanez SR405, G&L Tribute SB2, Ashbory and Markbass CMD121P, Fender Rumble V# 12" cab, GK 400RB, No-name 4x10 cab

jezzamac

Post by jezzamac » 16 Jul 2011, 23:34

I looked at a new jb4 but didn't get to plug it in but just fiddled about unplugged. It did not impress me. My 80s fretless plays like butter. This one seemed really clunky. Couldn't put my ginger on what I didn't like but your review seems spot on. I was disappointed given I like mine so much

LimeB

Post by LimeB » 01 Sep 2011, 15:48

Well thanks to the G4 tour of duty, I have put my JB4 through some testing enough to comment on it now.

I don't find it clunky at all. It plays really smoothly. I love the feel, although it looks " clunky to me", once strapped on it feels great to play. It is not the full palette of sounds, but plenty enough there for me.

There is a volume (or maybe bottom end) jump when switching from the J/P together to just the P pickup. The gain/ clip light position on the amp is practically the same for middle and forward switch pickup selector position, but forward sounds a lot louder to me. I found having the P pickup volume on about 7 and the J on full seemed to solve it. However, I like the P pickup heaps more than the P/J together or the J on its own. I will probably just use the P pickup alone most of the time.

The tone is very woody and rocky, Jazz pick up very thin and quieter.
I like it a lot. I think the supposed "list price" of $1700-1800 is a bit inflated maybe. The case is sweet too, that groovy purple faux fur lining, top stuff, very nice.

And a great deal from Owen Ray's International Music thanks heaps.

NotTheFish

Post by NotTheFish » 01 Sep 2011, 17:39

Shire Music now has them for $1150 with HC.. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Maton-JB4-Fr ... 1410wt_725

wilbur88

Post by wilbur88 » 01 Sep 2011, 19:48

NotTheFish wrote:Shire Music now has them for $1150 with HC.. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Maton-JB4-Fr ... 1410wt_725
Apparently there is only one available.
'82 Steinberger L-2 : '78 Gibson Grabber G3 : '06 Gibson T-bird : '06 Gretsch G6072 Country Gentleman : '11 Fender 60th Anniversary P : '78 Guild B302F : '05 Warwick CS SS1 5

Fender TV

slave

Post by slave » 07 Sep 2011, 21:08

What is with all the bashing in this thread?
First aussie company for a very long time to roll out some basses (outside of custom builder's like Perry Ormsby etc..) and people bash them for not being made of spalted maple with 6 strings and active electronics? WTF?
Tall poppy anyone?.....sigh... rant out the way.

I'm very attracted (not considering aesthetics) to this bass, as it ticks all the boxes of what I need.
Really thinking about picking one of these up.
To you blokes who own one of the re-issues, could you answer me some questions please?

As I normally play a 4str. P-bass standard with flats, which for me is the best tone I've ever had going through tube amps, and I've been through quite a few actives that just didn't do "it" for me.
How does this bass compare tonally to a P rockin flats?
Does the lack of a scratch plate irk anyone?
What's the closest the neck feels like? P-bass, Stingray, J-bass etc?
And finally, has anyone regretted getting one of the re-issues?

LimeB

Post by LimeB » 08 Sep 2011, 13:50

I like the neck, find it easy,nice narrow at the head end. I don't have long fingers and this is sweet for me.
It is a Jazz neck for me, like the ones in my Yamaha and Greco Jazz bass's. Frets feel great.

It has a great p bass tone from the dim p pickups, fat. Compares to my Greco p or the MIJ Fender p I used to own, more output though I think. I have rounds on it though. Jazz tone is OK but volume drop compared to P as stated earlier.

Scratch plate no issue. My Yamaha bb1000s has no plate, very similar to Maton in config, color and looks, played it exclusively for 12 years, toured a little etc , had it since around 1991, not marks at all from lack of scratch plate, nearly always played with a pick too. Probably more an issue of playing style?

Only played mine solo at home, but like it more now than initially, so no regrets.

slave

Post by slave » 12 Sep 2011, 19:38

Cheers Limey,
Nice to know!

So the neck is close to a J style neck? ....sounds fast. :hmm
I'm gonna have to go try and track one of these down and try it out, maybe take a set of nicely worn it flats with me. :thumbup: