Fodera AJ Presentation FS on Gumtree

Electric, Acoustic, Double Bass, Bassists
packrat

Re: Fodera AJ Presentation FS on Gumtree

Post by packrat » 02 Nov 2018, 17:12

Depends on the custom bass. Dingwalls do quite well.

swalexbass

Post by swalexbass » 02 Nov 2018, 18:57

slowlearner wrote:
02 Nov 2018, 16:09

Whether or not the price is reasonable is beside the point. It's only worth what someone will pay for it. At that price, it's got to be the very pointy end of the top of the bass market. I say good luck to him, but lets just say this. Custom basses have a reputation of not carrying their purchase price in long term value. The exception is if the instrument has some sort of celebrity history and the providence to go with it. This one doesn't.
Yeah I see what you mean there, but this bass literally is at the pinnacle of the bass market, can't think of many basses above it. And while I agree to a certain extent that Foderas are pretty overpriced vs other high end brands like MTD, Ken Smith, F Bass etc. from my experience, Fodera Standard line is on par in terms of quality with custom MTD, Ken Smith and F Bass. I dare not imagine how a custom elite model would be, as I have no experience with those. Some say there's not as much difference between the custom line and standard line, while some say otherwise. So I wouldn't know until I tried it :P
James Tyler Abraham Laboriel 25/10Fender Marcus Miller Jazz MIJMTD 535-21 Buckeye BurlMTD 535-21 Norm Stockton SpecMTD 535-24 Sapphire Burst (Building)Alpher Cobia Elite-5 (Building)

Bergantino Forté + HDN212 + HDN112

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 02 Nov 2018, 19:27

swalexbass wrote:
02 Nov 2018, 18:57
slowlearner wrote:
02 Nov 2018, 16:09

Whether or not the price is reasonable is beside the point. It's only worth what someone will pay for it. At that price, it's got to be the very pointy end of the top of the bass market. I say good luck to him, but lets just say this. Custom basses have a reputation of not carrying their purchase price in long term value. The exception is if the instrument has some sort of celebrity history and the providence to go with it. This one doesn't.
Yeah I see what you mean there, but this bass literally is at the pinnacle of the bass market, can't think of many basses above it. And while I agree to a certain extent that Foderas are pretty overpriced vs other high end brands like MTD, Ken Smith, F Bass etc. from my experience, Fodera Standard line is on par in terms of quality with custom MTD, Ken Smith and F Bass. I dare not imagine how a custom elite model would be, as I have no experience with those. Some say there's not as much difference between the custom line and standard line, while some say otherwise. So I wouldn't know until I tried it :P

You could always contract the seller and arrange to try it out :yep

Then report your conclusion back to us :thumbup:
IB-Classic#001, Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"If you keep buying things you DON'T need, eventually you'll have to start selling things you DO need"

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 02 Nov 2018, 22:37

swalexbass wrote:
02 Nov 2018, 18:57
I won't and can't comment on quality... and really once you get near Fodera level, quality is measured in increments like thickness of a hair. :hmm

You are right about it being the pinnacle of the bass market in Australia. It may well be the record for most expensive modern bass guitar in Australia for some time. Which is what makes the add on Gumtree all the more ironic. The problem is, at the pinnacle of any market speculation is extreme and that's where large sums of money are often lost or won. In this case, we can already tell it's the former and not the latter.

But like you, I wouldn't mind a go either. ;)
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - https://www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/

specitim

Post by specitim » 04 Nov 2018, 15:42

So I've been in contact with the seller (Tony) - he is a really nice guy, in Sydney.

The bass isn't actually one of the 20k AJ Presentation basses (remember Fodera's artist basses are "no modification allowed"" and this particular bass is customised (two pickups, Matt G controls, different woods etc).

She's also still on the fodera website:

https://fodera.smugmug.com/Newborn-Gall ... /i-mJssnth

Still a beautiful magnificent custom instrument, however at $12k AUD and with my other Fodera custom in the stable, I have to think about it ...
Fodera Monarch Custom Deluxe 5, Lakland USA 55-94, Lakland USA 44-94, 1980 Rickenbacker 4001, 1980 Fender USA P Special, G&L L2500, Heavy Relic P Bass, 70s Fender/East Jazz, Fender 62RI CIJ Jazz, Fender Kingsman

packrat

Post by packrat » 04 Nov 2018, 16:47

Shame that’s a mostly unfigured top.

Lukaas3

Post by Lukaas3 » 04 Nov 2018, 17:53

Thats cool that all the makers sign it.

sic608

Post by sic608 » 04 Nov 2018, 19:13

Never had the pleasure of playing a fodera. Hopefully one day maybe.

I agree the market is whats someone will pay. And agree that i would if it were me payin the cash prefer a figured top

But its a fodera only sold from fodera... and like many in this price bracket may take tome to find "the market" but im sure thats a steal at that prive considering its legacy

Personally id buy a custom Wal ;) :lol:
Which unfortunately have sky rocketed too in price and lead time :cry
Einstein was onced asked, "How does it feel to be the smartest man alive?" To which he repiled, "I dont know, you'll have to ask Nikola Tesla"

Peter TRB

Post by Peter TRB » 16 Nov 2018, 21:33

I have been buying and watching Fodera prices for a number of years now. I can say the value of these basses does increase if you hold onto them long enough. This bass ticks all the current trend specs for Fodera buyers and you could be assured it is a killer bass. One saving grace for me it is a 5 string......

Slapfest62

Post by Slapfest62 » 06 Dec 2018, 22:39

slowlearner wrote:
01 Nov 2018, 10:03
Lukaas3 wrote:
01 Nov 2018, 09:10
ok Heres an interesting question for you guys,

In ten years time, what is the selling price for this bass?
Honestly, I think it'll still be worth the same, or maybe even a little less. In 20 or thirty years time... werl maybe it'll command it's buying price, but we're still talking slab bodies here, even with the fancy butterfly sticker on the headstock.
Selling price is hard to say ,
but I do know at one stage a few years back
ANY Fodera was considered an investment by collecters, not just musicians
because they were the only instrument thats value just kept constantly increasing
(as defined by what peopled are prepared to pay for a used Fodera)
And I tend to think that for once, the extremely high used Fodera prices
have enabled and justified the rise in price of the new ones
I can tell you that I bought one in 2001 from a guy in the US that was selling 2 of them.
It was a 4 string Monarch Elite , Lane Poor JJ's , just amazing.
I paid US$2400 (this was when the dollar was down near 50c in the US)
So with that exchange rate, the freight and some duty or gst they charged me,
it cost me $5100 AUS
I had it for 2 or 3 years and when I sold it on Ebay,
to my surprise, I got $6200.
They dont make Monarch Elites anymore,
but it would be well over $10,000 for them to make one now for you.
Where will it end?
If there's any truth in the idea that high used prices justify retail price rises,
then I guess, the high price, is our fault,? . . lol
for liking them too much and paying too much.