NPBD

Electric, Acoustic, Double Bass, Bassists
bassbass

NPBD

Post by bassbass » 19 Oct 2018, 22:50

New Project Bass Day! :partydance:

$217. And that included a hard case, and delivery (syd to melb). The bass and the case are in great shape.

Surprised to see an '05 stamp on the neck heel. It looks much newer than this. I guess the owner was a learner who put it aside after 6 months or something. Plus I didn't know the Indonesian Cort factory had been around for that long. (Actually thanks to google, I now know the Surabaya factory has been around since '95!).

Some incredibly good stuff - the machine heads, the fretwork, the compound radius, the satin neck finish, the dual-action trussrod, the neat and accurate wood machining, the bridge-polepieces-neck allignment. :thumbup:
Some unbelievably crappy stuff - the clumsy preamp installation and rats nest wiring, the flake of wood that's actually embedded in the finish on the back, the fretboard extension that fouls on the pickguard so the neck heel doesn't screw all the way down, the tailpiece that is bent upwards and sits 1mm off the body!... :thumbdown

But hey, 200 bucks! I kinda need a 5 string for the covers band, but mostly I bought this to make videos for my channel... and I've got lots of mods and other stuff planned for her... :drool:
PROJECT BEROCCA (On YT)
fb/robkiddmusicofficial
robkiddmusic.com

basshack

Re: NPBD

Post by basshack » 19 Oct 2018, 23:17

Nothing you can’t fix and as long as you don’t get too fussy a good buy.
><((((º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... >((((º>

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 20 Oct 2018, 07:18

Awesome. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it. Always liked corts.
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - https://www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 20 Oct 2018, 10:15

Total bargain :thumbup:

And with you're skills and knowledge Rob, this is definitely gonna be a killer bass :yep

Looking forward to following this project.
IB-Classic#001, Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"If you keep buying things you DON'T need, eventually you'll have to start selling things you DO need"

bassbass

Post by bassbass » 15 Jan 2019, 11:44

Finally had some time to give the Cort project bass the once over.

Project Berocca lives... 8/

PROJECT BEROCCA (On YT)
fb/robkiddmusicofficial
robkiddmusic.com

basshack

Post by basshack » 15 Jan 2019, 15:57

Wow I didn't know you were twins! Clever little bunny aren't you. Did make me giggle and have a closer look.

My $0.02 worth.
Keep it orange and put a couple of racing stripes on it. A Confederate flag on the back and call it The General. It's got that Big Bad Orange colour going on that was famous way before hot pants became the feature of the movie.

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 15 Jan 2019, 20:52

Looking forward to your upcoming video’s on this project Rob. Really interested in seeing how good you can make this bass.

P.s. I don't mind the orange, but yeah....daphne blue would look terrific. :thumbup:
IB-Classic#001, Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"If you keep buying things you DON'T need, eventually you'll have to start selling things you DO need"

maxgroover

Post by maxgroover » 15 Jan 2019, 21:18

Subscribed! Nothing better than videos that are informative, easy to understand and contain some humour. Keep up the good work! Looking forward to seeing how this project progresses :yep
Ozbass moderator

The Moods Band

Mailloux, Fender, Lakland, Univox basses
Genz Benz, Tech 21, BBE, Crown, Zoom amps and preamps
Bergantino & Genz Benz Cabs

ozrider

Post by ozrider » 16 Jan 2019, 05:54

Thanks Rob, great vid. I watched it all the way through. So interesting!

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 17 Jan 2019, 16:09

It's gonna rock!

Paint it bright yellow with a black PG.

Some of the GB35 basses didn't have a PG. I suspect the PG design is just a machine design error... big, OOPS, though!

I don't believe that the electronics (especially the bridge pickup) is stock. That could explain the twisty tie in the electronics cavity.

I think that "wood chip" in the finish is actually wood filler in a dent. Which is ok for an opaque finish, but not a translucent one.
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

bassbass

Post by bassbass » 20 Jan 2019, 14:08

Some of the GB35 basses didn't have a PG. I suspect the PG design is just a machine design error... big, OOPS, though!
Yeah, it's a funny one. It is only under by the tiniest amount. Actually I looked at it more closely the other day (editing vid now), and if I simply put the neck in first with the PG off, when I lay the PG down on the body, the screws still line up ok. And I may actually use a shim under the heel to get the angle just right, and this will lift that extension up anyway.
I don't believe that the electronics (especially the bridge pickup) is stock. That could explain the twisty tie in the electronics cavity.
You are right. It is definitely an amateur installation with masking tape on the solder joints etc. With the magnifier I've now spotted "spector bass" written on the circuit board. I have no idea what pre it is though. I ran some freq sweeps and it doesn't match what I can find about the tonepump preamps. I've also heard that these are a descrete fet design, but this pre is bassed around a tl062 dual opamp.

The treble control boosts a lot of high mids and low treble, peaking/shelving at around 2.5khz. And the bass control has no hpf, iow, it cuts and boosts all the way down to 20hz. Plus the pre has a set lpf at 10khz.

The pickups are both Mighty mite. The neck p'up is a (very hummy) single coil, and the bridge pickup peaks around 4khz, (so I would think it is wired in series.) They are both alnico mag pickups.

The battery box is fishman, and it is certainly original, judging buy the fitment in the route, and the fact that the route has berocca coloured lacquer in it!
I think that "wood chip" in the finish is actually wood filler in a dent. Which is ok for an opaque finish, but not a translucent one.
Good point, but no. I really should have put a better photo of in the vid. Apologies. If you look under a magnifier, it looks for sure to be a small wood shaving suspended in the finish. Reminded me of the little ants in amber from Jurassic Park... :D
PROJECT BEROCCA (On YT)
fb/robkiddmusicofficial
robkiddmusic.com

bassbass

Post by bassbass » 22 Jan 2019, 18:54

Hi guys. Here's how I fixed the neck pocket. If you aspire to do a bit of tech work, or put together parts basses or whatever, the fitment of the neck heel is critical. Not just for tone, but for intonation. If the neck can shift in the pocket, you really can't expect the strings to stay in tune.

Thanks again, for the kind words about my vids. :thumbup:

PROJECT BEROCCA (On YT)
fb/robkiddmusicofficial
robkiddmusic.com

basshack

Post by basshack » 22 Jan 2019, 19:28

Put a like on YT this morning for you Robb.

If that's not a refinish then why the poor pocket prep and cheap screws?

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 22 Jan 2019, 20:00

Great stuff and well narrated.
Strings: Fender, Narcdor, Framus, Warwick
Knobs: Aguilar, MarkBass
Cones: Barefaced, Baer
Patch: TC Electronic, Aguilar

maxgroover

Post by maxgroover » 22 Jan 2019, 20:51

Great stuff Rob.

How do you determine whether or not a shim is required in the neck pocket?
Ozbass moderator

The Moods Band

Mailloux, Fender, Lakland, Univox basses
Genz Benz, Tech 21, BBE, Crown, Zoom amps and preamps
Bergantino & Genz Benz Cabs