NBD... Help me chose some round wounds..

Electric, Acoustic, Double Bass, Bassists
vin-tone

NBD... Help me chose some round wounds..

Post by vin-tone » 08 Oct 2018, 10:08

So anyway... I kinda found this unicorn Roscoe Beck V... Pretty interesting bass!

I'm digging it but not loving it yet. The strings are so incredibly dead its hard to get a good gauge on how it sounds, plays and sets up. You can get a massive range of tones out of it. Yea it does do a semi decent P bass impersonation, has a vintage J tone and a nice PJ. It can also sound like a tubby short scale playing up on the B string.

I've been playing TIJF flats for so long I don't know where to start with rounds... and I reckon rounds would bring out the full tonal palate of this guy. I did consider pressure wounds or grounds.

What are you guys using? And where do you buy?

Warwick SS2, Fender 63AVRI, Eberhard Meinel Upright > Markbass & AI Coda

joonbug

Re: NBD... Help me chose some round wounds..

Post by joonbug » 08 Oct 2018, 10:15

Check out DR Sunbeams.

hamo

Post by hamo » 08 Oct 2018, 10:37

I've been using R. Cocco Nickels and Rotosound RS77 Jazz Nickels. Both have great tone and sound great after they lose their initial "zing" (I prefer the post zing sound).
Sadowsky MV4-HPJ | Lakland USA Duck Dunn #13 | Genz Benz STM900 | Berg AE212 | Eden XLT210 | Aguilar TLC Compressor | Aguilar Octamiser | Korg Pitchblack | MXR Bass Envelope Filter

vin-tone

Post by vin-tone » 08 Oct 2018, 10:58

Yeah I think Nickels is where I'm headed. Sunbeams look good. I was a bit concerned about tension for the B?

I hear good things about DR Pure Blues - anyone tried em?

drbass

Post by drbass » 08 Oct 2018, 11:16

vin-tone wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 10:58
Yeah I think Nickels is where I'm headed. Sunbeams look good. I was a bit concerned about tension for the B?

I hear good things about DR Pure Blues - anyone tried em?
I'm exclusively playing PureBlues (coming from HiBeams). They're never floppy but "supple" with (for me) just the right tension. Whenever anyone plays my basses I always get asked what strings are on them, and everyone so far has had nothing but positive comments.

They are "zingy" in a somewhat softer way compared to the HiBeams (not quite as much top end) and have added a certain growl that works really well with my preferred pickups (Delano, but also Nordstrand) and preamps (Nordstrand, but also Glockenklang).

Regards,
Michael
Last edited by drbass on 08 Oct 2018, 14:02, edited 1 time in total.
- Merlin “Kermit” 6 multi, Merlin Gaia 6 fretless, Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3

kat888

Post by kat888 » 08 Oct 2018, 11:35

Ken Smith Bass Burners last for ages.

https://www.bassinyourface.com.au/

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 08 Oct 2018, 11:46

Try D'Addario Half Rounds, best of both worlds, the brightness and growl of rounds, with the smoothness of flats, any and all tones from flat thud to rounds grind

Got mine from here, they are a bit more pricey than D'Addario rounds though
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

hamo

Post by hamo » 08 Oct 2018, 12:03

BTW beautiful bass and great colour. These are on my "list"!
Sadowsky MV4-HPJ | Lakland USA Duck Dunn #13 | Genz Benz STM900 | Berg AE212 | Eden XLT210 | Aguilar TLC Compressor | Aguilar Octamiser | Korg Pitchblack | MXR Bass Envelope Filter

basshack

Post by basshack » 08 Oct 2018, 12:31

Get George at BGD or Guy down at the Basscentre to hook you up with Sadowsky Nickels. My go to strings in most of my basses.
><((((º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... >((((º>

vin-tone

Post by vin-tone » 08 Oct 2018, 13:58

Some great suggestions here. Thanks guys.
BazzBass wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 11:46
Try D'Addario Half Rounds, best of both worlds, the brightness and growl of rounds, with the smoothness of flats, any and all tones from flat thud to rounds grind

Got mine from here, they are a bit more pricey than D'Addario rounds though
I just spent $415 on a set of upright strings so reckon I'll be ok with it :lol:
Yep I had a set of these on my Deusenberg for a while and was very impressed.
hamo wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 12:03
BTW beautiful bass and great colour. These are on my "list"!
Yes! Mine too. I've had 2 bucket list basses this year - Warwick SS2 and this guy. Wish I could have kept both.
drbass wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 11:16
I'm exclusively playing PureBlues (coming from HiBeams). They're never floppy but "supple" with (for me) just the right tension. Whenever anyone plays my basses I always get asked what strings are on them, and everyone so far has had nothing but positive comments.

They are "zingy" in a somewhat softer way compared to the HiBeams (not quite as much top end) and have added a certain growl that works really well with my preferred pickups (Delano, but also Nordstrand) and preamps (Nordstrand, but also Glockenklang).

Regards,
Michel
Sounds good. Reckon I'll give PBs a whirl.

One thing about this bass is that is is H E A V Y. I haven't weighed it but must be 10 - 11lbs. I reckon I can deal with it.though

vin-tone

Post by vin-tone » 08 Oct 2018, 14:00

kat888 wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 11:35
Ken Smith Bass Burners last for ages.

https://www.bassinyourface.com.au/
Damn! Thats funky as F!

veebass

Post by veebass » 08 Oct 2018, 14:10

I hate clank, so SS is out for me.
On my Fenders I generally use Fender Pure Nickel Rounds 7150M- I love the feel of them and the sound. I don't like the Nickel Plated Fenders 8250M any better than SS.
On my Gibsons I have preferred Roto RS66LDN Nickel Rounds, but I think something changed with them a year or two back at about the time they started coming in plastic bags (rather than boxes)and I love them a lot less now. As need be, the Gibson fleet is being converted to Fender Pure Nickels.
I presume they both come in 5 string sets- never checked- no need.

I have TIs on a few of the more elderly basses to preserve the frets. They feel like loose angel hair spaghetti to me.
Happiness is .......a Telebass and 500W.

NotTheFish

Post by NotTheFish » 08 Oct 2018, 15:53

Seeing as you like the TI flats have you thought about trying the TI rounds ? They are a very nice string. Rather light guage but full and rich sounding..

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 08 Oct 2018, 16:55

I suspect you'll be happy with pure blues, as drbass mentioned they are a great all rounder rounder (pun intended). Feel very nice to play as well, quite supple but not floppy.

Second to that I'd vote for pure nickels, Fender or otherwise, coming from flats. It's less of a jump. The SSII had stainless on it and was super bright for comparison. There's always the tone knob too!
Strings: Fender, Custom, Framus, Warwick
Knobs: Mesa, MarkBass
Cones: Baer
Patch: TC Electronic, Aguilar

vin-tone

Post by vin-tone » 09 Oct 2018, 07:08

narcdor wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 16:55
I suspect you'll be happy with pure blues, as drbass mentioned they are a great all rounder rounder (pun intended). Feel very nice to play as well, quite supple but not floppy.

Second to that I'd vote for pure nickels, Fender or otherwise, coming from flats. It's less of a jump. The SSII had stainless on it and was super bright for comparison. There's always the tone knob too!
I actually didn't mind the brightness of those.

So where's the best place to get get Pure Blues? Cant find them locally and the cheapest OS shipping I've found is $25US. Amazon was $47 just for the shipping 8/