Warwick Corvette 5 string (German) info...

Electric, Acoustic, Double Bass, Bassists
Baracus

Warwick Corvette 5 string (German) info...

Post by Baracus » 18 Aug 2018, 23:56

Hi guys, looking for some info on this bass... I’m more a guitarist so not really up to speed on Warwicks and prices. Pretty much just played P’s and Jazz’s in the past.

Looking to buy a bass to use for recording (mainly) and looking at a ‘98 Corvette Standard 5 string, made in Germany. I know a guy who has one but not sure on what these would usually go for? he’s not really sure either I guess. Hard to find much info on them as it seems after this they went to being made in Korea.

Probably more bass than I need but it’s pretty sweet and in great condition, but I don’t want to get ripped off. Any help on what sort of price range would be normal for one of these would be appreciated!

Thanks

packrat

Re: Warwick Corvette 5 string (German) info...

Post by packrat » 19 Aug 2018, 02:29

These come up fairly often on ebay and reverb and even gumtree. Warwicks seems to have poor secondhand prices, so it's worth doing some digging on this. You mostly want to know to avoid comparing to anything rockbass which are the cheaper asian-made models.

Wizard

Post by Wizard » 19 Aug 2018, 06:08

I can’t help with current pricing but I can highly recommend this bass.
I’ve had a few fivers over the last couple of years, but nothing comes close to my Corvette Standard 5.

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 19 Aug 2018, 07:44

Warwick pricing is truly all over the place. My guess would be anywhere from $800 to $1400, yep there is a lot of variance, check eBay and Reverb history to see for yourself, I based my estimate on past experience.

They are nice basses, but do have a specific sound character, and always sound pretty much like a Warwick to my ears. Is this the sound you are chasing for recording? P and J are played by all genres for a reason so if you want flexibility I’d stick to that, probably a MIJ or CIJ for quality but not the US price tag. You can always juice them up with pedals too, lots of guitar pedals you probably have around work on bass too.

I do love Warwicks though, very nice instruments. This would be a nice instrument as well
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3424248918
Strings: Fender, Custom, Framus, Warwick
Knobs: Mesa, MarkBass
Cones: Baer
Patch: TC Electronic, Aguilar

Baracus

Post by Baracus » 20 Aug 2018, 13:27

Thanks for the info! He wants probably $1500 ish for it so top end of the price range. But it does look new still.
I’ll see what I find on Reverb and EBay though I have looked before and it seems hard to find this exact model (ash)
Maybe a P is a safer bet
Cheers

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 20 Aug 2018, 16:23

Don’t get me wrong I think they are definitely worth that, resale is so patchy for them as players tend to love/hate.

If I only had one bass it would be a five string PJ, for recording that expands your options as eyes aren’t judging. Ibanez makes some excellent PJ styles and they also go fairly cheap for what they are second hand.

Good luck and don’t forget to post pics of whatever you end up with!

Paisley

Post by Paisley » 20 Aug 2018, 16:52

The Vette's are definitely a niche Instrument; unique feel & a very distinctive mid-focused tone. Players that they appeal to will absolutely love them; however they're not everyones cup of tea, & just don't sit with a lot of players (the Vette's are by far the most common Warwick I see come up for sale).

AFAIK, a '98 model is most likely to have a Wenge neck, which seems more popular with Warwick enthusiasts than the later Ovangkol necks. You mentioned that it's an Ash body, which I personally prefer; there's still a healthy midrange with the Ash models, whereas I've found the mids of the Bubinga body can become a bit overbearing (plus they weigh a ton!!). I've had an Ash $$ Fretless for some time now & have recently picked up a Bubinga Standard, & I'm finding the Ash body Vette is a much more versatile Instrument, even with the pickups just in single coil like the Standard.
:yep

Price is subjective, but I agree that $1500 would be the top of the tree. I was watching a 5 String $$ on eBay a few months ago with every intention of bidding on it; however I dropped the ball & missed the auction. It went for around $1300. :cry
BASSES: Spector; Fender; Yamaha; G&L; Alembic; Ibanez; Jerry Jones; Danelectro; Rickenbacker; Ergo; ESP; Kraken; DeArmond.
AMPS: Acoustic; Ashdown; Ampeg; Eden; Epifani; Markbass

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 20 Aug 2018, 17:37

Paisley wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 16:52
The Vette's are definitely a niche Instrument; unique feel & a very distinctive mid-focused tone. Players that they appeal to will absolutely love them; however they're not everyones cup of tea, & just don't sit with a lot of players (the Vette's are by far the most common Warwick I see come up for sale).

AFAIK, a '98 model is most likely to have a Wenge neck, which seems more popular with Warwick enthusiasts than the later Ovangkol necks. You mentioned that it's an Ash body, which I personally prefer; there's still a healthy midrange with the Ash models, whereas I've found the mids of the Bubinga body can become a bit overbearing (plus they weigh a ton!!). I've had an Ash $$ Fretless for some time now & have recently picked up a Bubinga Standard, & I'm finding the Ash body Vette is a much more versatile Instrument, even with the pickups just in single coil like the Standard.
:yep

Price is subjective, but I agree that $1500 would be the top of the tree. I was watching a 5 String $$ on eBay a few months ago with every intention of bidding on it; however I dropped the ball & missed the auction. It went for around $1300. :cry
$1200 actually, not to rub it in or anything...

sic608

Post by sic608 » 20 Aug 2018, 19:05

Warwicks may well be a niche product. That may well be true but it depends on the model and wood type and id say not everyone will have tried them all

Although, i challenge anyone to not like a streamer stage 2

I havent found anything that tops mine :cool:

It is a different animal to the thumb as spoken of
Einstein was onced asked, "How does it feel to be the smartest man alive?" To which he repiled, "I dont know, you'll have to ask Nikola Tesla"

SneakyJak

Post by SneakyJak » 20 Aug 2018, 19:16

Paisley wrote:
(plus they weigh a ton!!).
Think this is an understatement. I just picked up a German 80’s 6 string thumb from bass center and it’s insane how heavy it is compared to my main basses

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 21 Aug 2018, 11:23

SneakyJak wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 19:16
Paisley wrote:
Think this is an understatement. I just picked up a German 80’s 6 string thumb from bass center and it’s insane how heavy it is compared to my main basses
Ooohh a classic Warwick. Nice one Pete - when is the NBD post happening? :cool:
IB-Classic#001, Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"If you keep buying things you DON'T need, eventually you'll have to start selling things you DO need"

SneakyJak

Post by SneakyJak » 21 Aug 2018, 16:29

Classic5 wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 11:23
SneakyJak wrote:
20 Aug 2018, 19:16
Paisley wrote:
Didn’t think anyone would be interest based on this thread and the love/hate comments

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 21 Aug 2018, 17:07

SneakyJak wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 16:29
Didn’t think anyone would be interest based on this thread and the love/hate comments
There are always some of us who are interested Pete. I'd like to know your thoughts for sure.
IB-Classic#001, Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"If you keep buying things you DON'T need, eventually you'll have to start selling things you DO need"

Paisley

Post by Paisley » 21 Aug 2018, 17:27

Classic5 wrote:
21 Aug 2018, 11:23
Haha; that was my first thought too when I read that! :lol:

I've only ever played two Thumbs from the '80s, & they were both stunners! :thumbup:
BASSES: Spector; Fender; Yamaha; G&L; Alembic; Ibanez; Jerry Jones; Danelectro; Rickenbacker; Ergo; ESP; Kraken; DeArmond.
AMPS: Acoustic; Ashdown; Ampeg; Eden; Epifani; Markbass