Cole Clark Long Lady 5

Electric, Acoustic, Double Bass, Bassists
Heath

Cole Clark Long Lady 5

Post by Heath » 27 Jul 2018, 09:39

Ok so enough hijacking other threads, here it is, the offical NBD/ongoing review post :lol:

first off these are based on at home playing at apartment volumes and in headphones, first gig with it tomorrow night will give me a better impression in a live band context.

its light, 3.6kg, thats actually lighter than my sandberg 4 string at 3.7kg, its quite comfortable even though the body edges are quite blunt in places, sitting down the bottom horn makes it sit a little odd but its not horrible, on a strap it sits in what i feel a very comfortable position (hopefully ill get gig pics which will help demonstrate this) neck shape is kinda warwick-y in that flat D shape (but nowhere near the baseball bat sizing), very good access to the upper range, no nosedive action, beautiful peices of timber in use, the hardware is very solid, it came strung with d'addarios (nyxls i presume due to tension) and through body, i changed over to nickel prosteels in my preferred gauge (40-60-75-95-125) and strung through bridge and it instantly felt much more playable (due to my dislike of heavier strings not the stringing method), wiring is very very neatly done, pickup routs are tight, the only flaws i have found with the bass is the inconsistant laquer/finish on the very end of the headstock and the tuners being covered in brass filings from cutting the nut, but being only number 16 i can forgive that assuming that they may have been under the pump to get them out finally or still sorting out quality control, i love the shaping of the top, very comfortable where your right arm rests and the bottom horn stops your knuckles slamming against the body when slapping.

electronics are very thorough....im of the mindset, if it doesnt sound impressive dead flat and pickups centered, nothing can save it, preamps should be there to enhance, not recover, and this bass doesnt dissapoint, brilliant pickups, very punchy, clear and responsive to changes to dynamics and technique, 18v aguilar obp-3 with VOL (push pull active/passive), BLEND, PASSIVE TONE (which works while in active too), TREBLE, MID (push pull frequency 400hz and 800hz me thinks), BASS, and a recessed output jack, which i will note the new boss wireless system will NOT fit into.

case wise the gator bag it comes with is actually very solid, much better than the sandberg bag, id actually consider getting another gator bag like it to take a second bass to gigs in...the body is wide, the only two hard cases i have which are the musicman sabre moulded hardcase and fender custom shop open rectangular one, this will not fit in.

i will try and do a couple of little videos soon demonstrating some sounds....

but i will say this, i sold my yamaha BBNE2 to help fund this........no regrets

Cole Clarke LL5, Yamaha 425x, Warwick Corvette5, Fender CS 57P, Musicman Sabre, Sandberg Ida
Amps: Markbass, Epifani, Tc, Bergantino

http://cruzersnewcastle.wixsite.com/rock-band

Heath

Re: Cole Clark Long Lady 5

Post by Heath » 27 Jul 2018, 09:42

Cole Clarke LL5, Yamaha 425x, Warwick Corvette5, Fender CS 57P, Musicman Sabre, Sandberg Ida

Heath

Post by Heath » 27 Jul 2018, 09:43

Rickles

Post by Rickles » 27 Jul 2018, 10:18

Heath wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 09:39
i sold my yamaha BBNE2 to help fund this........no regrets
I'd be interested to know where you reckon it sits in your harem? Will it take No: 1 spot?

Also, the specs state the strings are Elixir. Do you think that's what yours might have been?

And congratulations, I have envy and gas.
Melbourne
75 P Bass, Warwick Standard Corvette, SWR MoBass, Markbass, BAmp, CN212, HD210, SWR 210.

Heath

Post by Heath » 27 Jul 2018, 10:29

Unless elixirs have the red, green, black, gold, purple ball ends like d'addarios....I'm pretty sure they're daddarios....

Well...its really hard, it's my favourite 5er (over the Corvette and bb425x) and my favourite 4 is the Sandberg...but overall....again I think that's gonna take a few gigs

Alistair R

Post by Alistair R » 27 Jul 2018, 17:27

A great looking bass. Very keen to try one!
:drinkingbuddies:

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 27 Jul 2018, 17:30

It certainly is handsome, probably a few too many knobs for me but lovely.
Strings: Fender, Custom, Framus, Warwick
Knobs: Mesa, MarkBass
Cones: Baer
Patch: TC Electronic, Aguilar

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 27 Jul 2018, 17:31

I should say the bass looks great too! Har har...

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 27 Jul 2018, 17:32

Really digging that body shaping as well, the lower horn is fantastic. Great blend of timber colours as well.

Also it’s worth mentioning this cold and flu medication just kicked in and wheeeee!

Heath

Post by Heath » 27 Jul 2018, 22:11

narcdor wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 17:30
It certainly is handsome, probably a few too many knobs for me but lovely.
It looks that way, but so far the only ones I've really touched are pickup blend and passive control, rolling back to the bridge pickup and the passive tone all the way off sounds really nice

Heath

Post by Heath » 28 Jul 2018, 19:13

Ready to go

jcburn

Post by jcburn » 28 Jul 2018, 22:39

That's a great looking bass Heath, I'll bet it sounds awesome. I'm not a bare wood man, I'd love that in a gloss solid colour.
Can't wait to hear your gig report.
'97 G&L L2000. '95 G&L L2000. Fender Frank Bello. Yamaha TRB4
Warwick Quad VI. Warwick Tubepath 5.1. Hartke LH500.
Ashdown ABM 410 x 2
Line 6 G30. Dunlop Bass Crybaby Wah. EBS Billy Sheehan Dlx. MXR M80 DI+. DSM Noisemaker OCSD.

rodl2005

Post by rodl2005 » 29 Jul 2018, 00:35

Me neither, re the wood... but that bass is a beauty!

Perhaps it's coz us Tassie folk get inundated with "natural" wood here?
Mean & Surly

sic608

Post by sic608 » 29 Jul 2018, 04:55

:drool:
Einstein was onced asked, "How does it feel to be the smartest man alive?" To which he repiled, "I dont know, you'll have to ask Nikola Tesla"

Heath

Post by Heath » 29 Jul 2018, 08:07

Ok, so first gig last night with the long lady, extremely happy, very comfortable bass for a 4 setter, didn't touch the Sandberg which is a little upsetting, and I will also add I did not have to touch any eq on the bass or my amp, theres a natural compression happening in the bass, very punchy, it's not an extremely bright bass, especially compared to the Sandberg which I noticed when tuning the pair of them, but tonally it sits very very very well, the obp-3 pre is very powerful, only takes the slightest adjustment for a massive impact...

So far, very very happy