Travelling to Solomons with a bass

Electric, Acoustic, Double Bass, Bassists
Nigel

Travelling to Solomons with a bass

Post by Nigel » 21 Jun 2018, 07:40

Hi Guys,
I’m about to go on a short term mission trip and am planning to take a bass in my luggage. Will I make it through customs? Do I neeed to be careful about what fretboard wood I take?
Cheers,
Nigel.
Mailloux Custom "Lucky 13", EA Doubler, Barefaced Midget 110, Mojo-Sonic 1x10.

Nigel

Re: Travelling to Solomons with a bass

Post by Nigel » 21 Jun 2018, 08:23

Sorry guys, had a mild panic attack in the shower. I did a google search...

...The Convention of International Trade of Endangered Species of Flora and Fauna (CITES) agreement that went into effect Jan. 2, 2017, exempts those traveling with instruments for personal use with up to 22 pounds of regulated woods (per shipment). “Gifts” also are exempted, the U.S. Department of the Interior says. The new regulations also do not apply to instruments transported within a country.

swalexbass

Post by swalexbass » 21 Jun 2018, 08:38

Hi Nigel. As far as I know, there won't be any problem with the customs when your bass is with the luggage. I've been to Samoa, Thailand and Indonesia loading my bass as oversize luggage, and never had a problem.

The main thing I'd be concerned about is your bass's safety. Just make sure you protect and cover your bass well with bubble wrap, because I didn't apply enough protection on my bass case when going to Thailand and my case was heavily damaged in the process.

Kind Regards
Alex
James Tyler Abraham Laboriel 25/10Roscoe LG 3005Ken Smith BSR5GNMTD 535-24MTD 535-21Alpher Cobia Elite-5F-Bass VF5 ♦ Schecter DS Deluxe-4 ♦ Yamaha BBNE2Modulus Quantum 5Zon Legacy

Bergantino Forté + HDN212

Nigel

Post by Nigel » 21 Jun 2018, 21:35

Cheers mate, they are junky cheap basses I’m taking them over there to give to a local when I leave. I’m planning on removing necks putting them in soft cases and having them in my luggage with my clothes. Scratches and dints won’t mattter , they will already have them.