NBD: Manta YOLO

Electric, Acoustic, Double Bass, Bassists
drbass

Re: NBD: Manta YOLO

Post by drbass » 16 Mar 2018, 13:27

Thank you, Paul,

Way too kind, and yes there's a backstory to the name - convoluted though so I'll tell you when I see you next time.

I'll be recording (audio only) tonight's gig so there might be some sound snippets.

And no, the dye is perfectly sealed in - instead of nitro finish I use a flooring product (basically an oil-wax mix) which should be rather hard-wearing. Feels nice, too.

Regards,
Michael
- Merlin “Kermit” 6 multi, Merlin Gaia 6 fretless, Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3

DoctorJohn

Post by DoctorJohn » 16 Mar 2018, 13:41

Love it. What a work of art. The inconsistent blue dyeing on the back halves of the body just makes it look more "real" if that makes sense. The colour contrast between the brown/reds and blue is just stunning. Did this come out how you visualised it to?

The highlight for me is the grain on the back of the bass, especially the recessed area where the horn is. How the grain comes together in an "X" is just awesome. No doubt something which didn't come about accidentally.

Well done mate. I'm srure it sounds as great as it looks :drool:
Last edited by DoctorJohn on 16 Mar 2018, 17:03, edited 1 time in total.

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 16 Mar 2018, 14:05

DoctorJohn wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 13:41
The highlight for me is the grain on the back of the bass, especially the recessed area where the horn is. How the grain comes together in an "X" is just awesome. No doubt something which didn't come about accidentally.
+1. Michael, you'll say it was luck AGAIN, but I have no doubts you are the "Grain Master".
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

blizzard

Post by blizzard » 16 Mar 2018, 14:34

Cookie Monster to go along with Kermit?

drbass

Post by drbass » 16 Mar 2018, 15:12

blizzard wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 14:34
Cookie Monster to go along with Kermit?
I've had Poppa Smurf ...

Regards,
Michael
- Merlin “Kermit” 6 multi, Merlin Gaia 6 fretless, Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)

drbass

Post by drbass » 16 Mar 2018, 15:21

DoctorJohn wrote:
16 Mar 2018, 13:41
Love it. What a work of art. The inconsistent blue dyeing on the back halves of the body jsut makes it look more "real" if that makes sense. The colour contracts between the brown/reds and blue is just stunning. Did this come out how you visualised it to?

Well done mate. I'm srure it sounds as great as it looks :drool:
Thank you, too kind.

Very close to what I envisaged in terms of colour. I was hoping for the padauk to be a little redder, just a little. It is an interesting timber, orange when freshly sanded, and then it very quickly reverts to this sort of colour. I have another set for a top which seems a little lighter.
The blue I love. As you say the inconsistency makes it come alive, and not just on the two body halves but also along the neck and the fretboard. It's great to have a perfect gradient/burst (or even) finish but this result is something I personally prefer.

The grain, well. Yes, I'll say I'm lucky (and "grain master"? Really, Pete? "Which cereal may I serve for your breakfast, Sir?") in that I was at Mathews Timber at the right time and could pick some promising pieces. And they either end up as "X" (coincidentally the original Manta also has the X, as has the Q) or follow the contour (like both Kermits - go figure - and the Q I built for someone else). Two things help:
1) I have quite aggressive tummy cuts - that means you go through a decent thickness of timber (my tummy cuts normally end up with an edge less than half body thickness) which of course exposes more grain;
2) doing the contrast treatment.

Anyway, thank you all for your kind comments and interest. And, personally, I think everything I've built so far sounds better than it looks.

Regards,
Michael

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 16 Mar 2018, 19:47

What is the best bass for Blues?

Utterly Gorgeous. :D
Oz Bass Forum Moderator

Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

drbass

Post by drbass » 17 Mar 2018, 14:17

Proper report will have to wait.

Played it last night. Output was super-hot which made me change all sorts of settings on my amp (dialed back the bass A LOT). Checked the onboard pre (Nordstrand 3b-3) and found that the gain was on about +8 dB so it may not have been representative.

Having said that, everything in series results in a massive wall of sound. Just to clarify, the strings I have on it now are my “set-up strings”, an old set of stainless steel DR Hibeams that have been on and off basses many times. Despite that the B string had plenty of definition and a depth I have never before experienced, and the higher strings had a lot of zing with plenty of roundness.

The sound options are seemingly endless. Just the neck gives a nice throaty P impersonation that can be enhanced by boosting the mids at 400 Hz (that’s the pull option, the push position has a 1 kHz centre). Just the bridge gives me exactly what I have in the original red Manta. And then I can play around with both in series (massive) or parallel, all the while modifying the MM pickup with the 3-way mini switch (it’s a quad coil, series/single/parallel).

I’ll have a better idea after tonight’s private birthday party gig in a sheep shearing shed near Nagambie (baaaaah) with the proper pre setting.

Regards,
Michael

drbass

Post by drbass » 18 Mar 2018, 10:43

That was pretty good.
I did some recording but it came out quite boomy thanks to the make-shift stage and the position of the recorder (if you know my rig it's not boomy) so sound samples will have to wait a little longer. Should get Ivan to play for me, he's just so good.

Very happy, played this one all night and never lacked anything really. The only issue I can see is the rather significant difference in output for each setting of the 4-way rotary switch. I noticed this with my Dingwall Z2, and also quite noticeable with my 2 6-string Kermits. Series has just so much more oomph than just having individual pickups only, or both in parallel. Something to think about - should be fixable with a clean boost using the MS-3.

Can't wait (but have to) to put the DR PureBlues on - they made a massive difference with the original Manta, aded a lot of growl. Hopefully soon.

Regards,
Michael

RedVee

Post by RedVee » 18 Mar 2018, 16:42

That looks beautiful Michael.
Well done again
Ibanez AEB10-BK; Feider P Bass; Challenge Bass; T'Bird Goth; Gibson T’Bird
Fender Rumble 15; Eminar Amps x2; Elfa 410 cab; GK CX115 cab; Zoom B2.1u & B3

DeadlyErnest

Post by DeadlyErnest » 18 Mar 2018, 17:29

A simple trimpot should be able to fix the levels.
Will play for food.

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 18 Mar 2018, 20:05

drbass wrote:
18 Mar 2018, 10:43
................ so sound samples will have to wait a little longer. Should get Ivan to play for me, he's just so good........

Regards,
Michael
Is that a bit of bait I see dangling there?

But seriously, recording and making video's is not as easy as it seems. Maybe for some....but yeah, there's got to be a better way.

Happy to help in any way I can Michael. But you know I don't work at lightning speed. If you want to give it a go though, we can certainly look into doing something to get the sound of those basses of yours out to the masses. We'd have to borrow Blaines Monique though ;)
IB-Classic#001, Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"Money will buy a fine dog but only kindness will make him wag his tail"

swalexbass

Post by swalexbass » 19 Mar 2018, 12:17

We really have some incredible bass makers on this forum... This looks very unique and vibrant, love it. Would love to learn to build my own one day too :D
James Tyler Abraham Laboriel 25/10Roscoe LG 3005Ken Smith BSR5GNMTD 535-24MTD 535-21Alpher Cobia Elite-5F-Bass VF5 ♦ Schecter DS Deluxe-4 ♦ Yamaha BBNE2Modulus Quantum 5Zon Legacy

Bergantino Forté + HDN212

drbass

Post by drbass » 19 Mar 2018, 20:17

Thanks, everyone.

I have to say that I consider myself very lucky to have access to a well-equipped workshop but even more importantly access to the vast knowledge and experience of two amazing “wood carvers” (and more). Without David’s and Rob’s support and enthusiasm I might have stopped after one, or might not even have started. I blame everything on them.

Regards,
Michael

basshack

Post by basshack » 21 Mar 2018, 07:48

Classic5 wrote:
18 Mar 2018, 20:05
drbass wrote:
18 Mar 2018, 10:43
................ so sound samples will have to wait a little longer. Should get Ivan to play for me, he's just so good........

Regards,
Michael
Is that a bit of bait I see dangling there?

But seriously, recording and making video's is not as easy as it seems. Maybe for some....but yeah, there's got to be a better way.

Happy to help in any way I can Michael. But you know I don't work at lightning speed. If you want to give it a go though, we can certainly look into doing something to get the sound of those basses of yours out to the masses. We'd have to borrow Blaines Monique though ;)
You know all you have to do is ask.

Nice work as always Michael.
><((((º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... >((((º>