NBD 2017 Epiphone Vintage Pro Thunderbird

Electric, Acoustic, Double Bass, Bassists
veebass

Re: NBD 2017 Epiphone Vintage Pro Thunderbird

Post by veebass » 20 May 2018, 17:49

kat888 wrote:
19 May 2018, 15:27
Another VP question ... do we know whether the VP pickups are the same as the EY Chinabuckers?

I'm listing my Epi on eBay.
Kat, short answer- from what I can gather, the collective Gibson Bass brains trust don't know. It is the subject of some discussion on other forums.
I haven't pulled mine out of the VP to have a good look at them- I guess I am thinking, why mess with stuff that is working so well? I think I recall seeing pics of them somewhere and they looked very similar from the underside.
They sound very similar when I switch between my Gibson with the Chinabuckers (great improvement BTW IMMostHO) and the VP. at a gig. I will say the VP is ever so slightly "ballsyier" and the Chinabuckered Gibson is ever so "smoother". Although, last night I was struck with how smooth the VP sounded as I was playing Flame Trees- I was playing up closer to the neck than I usually do and not hitting the strings as hard with my finger tips. I would usually use the Gibson for that song.
Anyway, they are obviously both reverse engineered 60s TBird pickups, but whether they are exactly the same and came from the same Chinese factory . I don;'t know. If pushed, I would say- they could be.
The differences are small IMO annd could well be explained by the differing positioning of the neck pickups in the two basses I have to compare them. As you know the modern Gibson TBird's neck pickup is closer to the 12th than the VP and you would expect it to be a bit bassier than the VP. Maybe that is all I am hearing.
The Chinabuckers in my Gibson are 9.2K and I don't know the resistance of the Probuckers in the VP.

OMG we are almost sounding like Jazz bass officionados.. ;)

BTW- sell your old Epi and buy a VP you can't go wrong- they sound great IMO. I am enjoying mine so much. Added advantage- the poly finish is pretty tough (compared to the nitro on my Gibson) and I banged the headstock into something last night and it didn't mark it.
Happiness is .......a Telebass and 500W.

kat888

Post by kat888 » 20 May 2018, 23:32

veebass wrote:
20 May 2018, 17:49

BTW- sell your old Epi and buy a VP you can't go wrong- they sound great IMO. I am enjoying mine so much. Added advantage- the poly finish is pretty tough (compared to the nitro on my Gibson) and I banged the headstock into something last night and it didn't mark it.
Just don't mention the tort.... (had enough of that scene, so I shot through)

I hear you on the VP, but I need to get myself a Gibson -- it's only right and proper. Wanting black rather than sunburst complicates things on that front and there's no hurry.
Thunderbirds are GO

Cataldo JAEbird : Cataldo NR41KB : Orville TB90
Traynor YBA200 + Ampeg SVT212AV

veebass

Post by veebass » 23 May 2018, 17:03

kat888 wrote:
20 May 2018, 23:32
veebass wrote:
20 May 2018, 17:49

Just don't mention the tort.... (had enough of that scene, so I shot through)

I hear you on the VP, but I need to get myself a Gibson -- it's only right and proper. Wanting black rather than sunburst complicates things on that front and there's no hurry.
I understand the need for a Gibson. ;)
Happiness is .......a Telebass and 500W.

RedVee

Post by RedVee » 23 May 2018, 20:48

Yes, I’m happy that the stars aligned and I got a Gibson.
Who knows when a VP will be readily available in Australia?
Ibanez AEB10-BK; Feider P Bass; Challenge Bass; T'Bird Goth; Gibson T’Bird
Fender Rumble 15; Eminar Amps x2; Elfa 410 cab; GK CX115 cab; Zoom B2.1u & B3

kat888

Post by kat888 » 24 May 2018, 19:38

RedVee wrote:
23 May 2018, 20:48
Yes, I’m happy that the stars aligned and I got a Gibson. Who knows when a VP will be readily available in Australia?
There's no need to rub our noses in it now, is there Geoff?
Thunderbirds are GO

Cataldo JAEbird : Cataldo NR41KB : Orville TB90
Traynor YBA200 + Ampeg SVT212AV

RedVee

Post by RedVee » 24 May 2018, 20:58

kat888 wrote:
24 May 2018, 19:38
RedVee wrote:
23 May 2018, 20:48
Yes, I’m happy that the stars aligned and I got a Gibson. Who knows when a VP will be readily available in Australia?
There's no need to rub our noses in it now, is there Geoff?
Haha! No - it’s more a communal dispair at the state of Gibson & Epiphone here...
Ibanez AEB10-BK; Feider P Bass; Challenge Bass; T'Bird Goth; Gibson T’Bird
Fender Rumble 15; Eminar Amps x2; Elfa 410 cab; GK CX115 cab; Zoom B2.1u & B3