NBD 2017 Epiphone Vintage Pro Thunderbird

Electric, Acoustic, Double Bass, Bassists
kat888

Re: NBD 2017 Epiphone Vintage Pro Thunderbird

Post by kat888 » 24 Feb 2018, 13:20

veebass wrote:
24 Feb 2018, 11:26
Congrats on your latest Bird too, Kat.
Taken after installing the 1966 repro pickup. The nickel has subsequently been polished up and it's looking even prettier.

veebass

Post by veebass » 14 Mar 2018, 14:06

The Vintage Pro is now gig ready.
Tinypic seems hellbent on rotating pics whichever way looks the worst, despite how I save them!

Chrome Schaller locks.
Gotoh CBR 640 Ultra Light Machines in Nickel (these are super nice!)
Thunderbucker Ranch custom made in Nickel
Custom "Gibson" script TRC

The looks, feels and sounds like a much more expensive bass. Although, given our exchange and shipping, with the upgrades it getting up there cost wise.

Happiness is .......a Telebass and 500W.

rodl2005

Post by rodl2005 » 15 Mar 2018, 14:42

Sweet!
Mean & Surly

rodl2005

Post by rodl2005 » 18 May 2018, 08:22

How'd you go importing this with the CITES thingy etc?
Mean & Surly

veebass

Post by veebass » 18 May 2018, 09:29

rodl2005 wrote:
18 May 2018, 08:22
How'd you go importing this with the CITES thingy etc?
No problem.
But I am not sure if it was missed or not. There was no special CITES declaration by the seller.

I understand the fretboard is actually not Rosewood and is in fact a pine product- Blackwood Tek. (BYW seems to perform like Rosewood).

I was worried in case I had to prove it when the Epi Home page actually said it was Rosewood. It has now been ammended to say nothing about the fretboard material that I can see.

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Electr ... -Bass.aspx

Paisley

Post by Paisley » 18 May 2018, 10:12

That looks like a corker; good to hear the QC is right up there. :thumbup: Some of the stuff coming out of Indonesia these days can't be faulted; I've got an LTD 8 String here that cost me next to nothing, & the build quality is faultless. :yep
I'd definitely be interested in finding out more about that RD Artist too; that's one ex-Bass that I really miss (despite probably not appreciating it as much as I should have when I had it).

Just out of interest, how's the degree of neck dive compared to your other Birds? (considering the length of that headstock & the neck being positioned a tad further out)
BASSES: Spector; Fender; Yamaha; G&L; Alembic; Ibanez; Jerry Jones; Danelectro; Rickenbacker; Ergo; ESP; Kraken; DeArmond.
AMPS: Acoustic; Ashdown; Ampeg; Eden; Epifani; Markbass

veebass

Post by veebass » 18 May 2018, 10:32

Paisley wrote:
18 May 2018, 10:12
That looks like a corker; good to hear the QC is right up there. :thumbup: Some of the stuff coming out of Indonesia these days can't be faulted; I've got an LTD 8 String here that cost me next to nothing, & the build quality is faultless. :yep
I'd definitely be interested in finding out more about that RD Artist too; that's one ex-Bass that I really miss (despite probably not appreciating it as much as I should have when I had it).

Just out of interest, how's the degree of neck dive compared to your other Birds? (considering the length of that headstock & the neck being positioned a tad further out)
The build quality is first rate. I have seen some pics of the Sunbursts and some of them are really well done and quite beautiful! Astounding basses for the money.
Yes the headstock is big and the overall bass is very long.
That said it is not a heavy bass and it balances pretty well actually, now that I have upgraded the tuners with Gotoh Ultralites (they look more authentic too!) and put the bridge cover on. It was more neck heavy than the others when I got it, but now it is much the same. I actually find the "TBird tilt forward" thing more of an issue and I usually put the strap across the top of the body to hold it in .

It is a really good TBird and has been used at every gig since I got it. The pickups are much more to my liking than the TB+s they put in the Gibsons. It is a real shame these aren't available here I would definitely buy more, but importing them is a bit expensive- with the upgrades- this one owes me about $1500.

Yes, I am a bit annoyed we aren't getting any Gibsons at present- I would have loved to have a look at the new RD Artist with the Decola pickups. .

veebass

Post by veebass » 18 May 2018, 11:12

Here's a good deal on one from Japan. Particularly if the seller will separate the shipping out to keep it under the $AU1K limit for GST. This is a different seller to the one I bought from. I don't know if he will be agreeable.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Epiphone-Thund ... Sw3MpaxwRx

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 18 May 2018, 12:28

I don't understand why no one is importing these into Oz, importer gone bust or something?

That is a gorgeous Tbird,, and wow what a long headstock.

HNBD
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

veebass

Post by veebass » 18 May 2018, 21:10

BazzBass wrote:
18 May 2018, 12:28
I don't understand why no one is importing these into Oz, importer gone bust or something?

That is a gorgeous Tbird,, and wow what a long headstock.

HNBD
Thanks!
Yes, the importer appears to be bust but hasn't completely gone under, as I understand it. They still have one shop and little Gibson or Epi stock- two of their shops have closed in the last year or so.
Therefore, nothing is coming in from what stores trying to get stock from them tell me and hasn't for a fairly long time.

kat888

Post by kat888 » 19 May 2018, 08:22

Russ, how does the VP compare in overall feel to a Gibson? Despite being the same scale length as the TBird PRO IV, my Orville* feels much more compact and comfortable to play (I'm only 165cm) with less of a reach to first position -- and it's ~500g lighter too.

*Japanese built Gibson

veebass

Post by veebass » 19 May 2018, 09:29

kat888 wrote:
19 May 2018, 08:22
Russ, how does the VP compare in overall feel to a Gibson? Despite being the same scale length as the TBird PRO IV, my Orville* feels much more compact and comfortable to play (I'm only 165cm) with less of a reach to first position -- and it's ~500g lighter too.

*Japanese built Gibson
Hi Kat. My VP is about the same weight as my Gibson.
I switch between the two without really noticing the difference in playing positions relative to the bodies, but I have never played an Orville- so can't compare with that. Your Orville sounds like my Gibson though. It looks like the neck is in a similar position to my Gibson from the pic you posted.

Just to give you an idea- the bodies are very similar but the neck on the VP is further out of the body than my Gibson and also has a much bigger and spread out headstock (ie doesn't need the mini tuners). I suspect the headstock on your Orville is bigger than the one on my Gibson, but maybe not as big as the one on the VP.
In practical terms it means that the nut is about 10- 12mm further away on the VP than my Gibson or my Grecos (which have a slightly shorter scale length but the neck further out of the body). The biggest thing I notice is the distance to the tuners- 40 mm further to the G tuner on the VP.

The neck on the VP may be ever so slightly thicker than my Gibson, but is certainly not of P Bass dimensions.

kat888

Post by kat888 » 19 May 2018, 11:53

I've just been to Allans Alexandria which seems to be in a sad state. They don't seem to have much stock in at all. There were a total of three basses -- 2 x Tobias and 1 x SubRay -- and a few Gibson and Epiphone guitars.

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 19 May 2018, 12:57

Allans has died in Adelaide, finally. I think. Last I was in all they had were Gibsons, no Fenders at all. Can't run a business by not carrying the biggest name of them all. The stores that embraced the net early are OK, like Bass Centre, Derringers, Mannys etc
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

kat888

Post by kat888 » 19 May 2018, 15:27

Another VP question ... do we know whether the VP pickups are the same as the EY Chinabuckers?

I'm listing my Epi on eBay.