Electric, Acoustic, Double Bass, Bassists
irvinz

Re: EBMM Basses

Post by irvinz » 29 Jan 2018, 22:08

aphekgreg wrote:
29 Jan 2018, 20:37
NotTheFish wrote:
29 Jan 2018, 20:21
For all the good work the Japanese do, sunburst finishes can be a be difficult for some of them. The above example is just simply horrible IMO.
Are you referring to the second one? That's the US one!
gold :lol:

NotTheFish

Post by NotTheFish » 30 Jan 2018, 06:34

aphekgreg wrote:
NotTheFish wrote:
For all the good work the Japanese do, sunburst finishes can be a be difficult for some of them. The above example is just simply horrible IMO.
Yes.. I am not sure I trust this listing. I can't find any example of a Stingray burst that is as poor as this example on the Googlenet. Maybe it is the camera or lighting. Maybe it is a refin. It just reminded me of some of those 70's MIJ bursts I have seen. Didn't mean to derail thread.

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 30 Jan 2018, 07:37

NotTheFish wrote:
30 Jan 2018, 06:34
aphekgreg wrote:
NotTheFish wrote:
Yes.. I am not sure I trust this listing. I can't find any example of a Stingray burst that is as poor as this example on the Googlenet. Maybe it is the camera or lighting. Maybe it is a refin. It just reminded me of some of those 70's MIJ bursts I have seen. Didn't mean to derail thread.
I'd assumed it was poor photography. It can be very difficult to capture a sunburst. It looks like original EB paint in the close ups of the chips. Even has paint peeling from the neck joint, like mine!

I agree though, that it does look like a cheap MIJ sunburst, before they started making truly high end instruments.

In these photos, the MIJ Stingray looks better.
Greg

Ibanez Musician, MusicMan, Dingwall Z3, Rickenbacker, MIJ Fender Precision & Jazz, Warmoth/Musikraft P/J-bass, Danelectro Longhorn.
Traynor YBA300, MarkBass, GK1001RB2, Berg AE212, Hartke 4.5, '64 Fender Bassman
http://www.aphekstudio.com.au

PDOG

Post by PDOG » 30 Jan 2018, 08:54

Just an update..
Here is the response I received from the Ebay Seller

Hi

Yes it is an official and genuine EB MM.
As per the listing this bass is the Ernie Ball Music Man Sting Ray EX model.
It is a limited production (originally only 2 years 2003-2004) that was authorised by the USA EB team. It is still an official Ernie Ball Music Man (not a cheap knock off or lesser model like epiphone is to Gibson), it has all USA machinery/parts. The only difference it was assembled and crafted in Japan for release only to the Japanese domestic market. It was non export. That is why you see no "USA" logo text on rear of headstock. The serial number is engraved into the bridge. It also has a few finer details exactly like the original 70's models, that the modern USA models lack. Like the adjustable string felt mutes.
On a personal opinion I really like the quality and finishing on these EX models. The cuts of ash wood appear nicer and I have noticed these models being a touch lighter, so much better on the back. Plus they are generally on average $300-500 cheaper than San Luis Obispo California models I have instore.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Brent

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 30 Jan 2018, 10:19

As a comparison, here's an OLP (Officially Licensed Product) Stingray. Generic bridge and body wood looks cheaper, but is otherwise true to the Stingray design. It is licensed by Ernie Ball and doesn't claim to be made by them.

Here's a Chinese knock off. Nothing looks quite right. This one (being completely illegal) says it's an Ernie Ball MusicMan and has made in California (in the wrong spot) on the back of the headstock.

So, if you're familiar with Stingrays, it's pretty easy to pick a real one, with the only confusion being the Japanese models.
Greg

Ibanez Musician, MusicMan, Dingwall Z3, Rickenbacker, MIJ Fender Precision & Jazz, Warmoth/Musikraft P/J-bass, Danelectro Longhorn.

jezzamac

Post by jezzamac » 30 Jan 2018, 13:31

What if you are not familiar with Stingrays?
Fender '78 Precision, Squier CV Jazz, Maton JBIV, Ibanez SR405, G&L Tribute SB2, Ashbory and Markbass CMD121P, Fender Rumble V# 12" cab, GK 400RB, No-name 4x10 cab
funKtus, Samurai Trash, Exploding Happiness, Night Radio (no longer).

ozrider

Post by ozrider » 30 Jan 2018, 18:35

jezzamac wrote:
30 Jan 2018, 13:31
That's what the brains trust here is for... mind you, the Chinese knockoffs are pretty poor replicas even to the untrained eye

EDIT- I take that back, that blue one looks pretty good, i must admit. I guess it would be easy to get burned if you don't get a chance to see it in the flesh

jumpin jimmy

Post by jumpin jimmy » 30 Jan 2018, 18:47

I have to say Having dealt with Brent in the past that he is as honest as the day is long. He deals mostly in Basses from japan

ozrider

Post by ozrider » 30 Jan 2018, 19:06

jumpin jimmy wrote:
30 Jan 2018, 18:47
I have to say Having dealt with Brent in the past that he is as honest as the day is long. He deals mostly in Basses from japan
Is that the same Brent that used to sell in Melbourne?

jumpin jimmy

Post by jumpin jimmy » 30 Jan 2018, 19:09

Yes he is now up in Qld

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 30 Jan 2018, 19:53

ozrider wrote:
30 Jan 2018, 18:35
jezzamac wrote:
That's what the brains trust here is for... mind you, the Chinese knockoffs are pretty poor replicas even to the untrained eye

EDIT- I take that back, that blue one looks pretty good, i must admit. I guess it would be easy to get burned if you don't get a chance to see it in the flesh
Exactly and the reason why we're having this discussion now.

To my eye, that blue one looks all warped.
Greg

ozrider

Post by ozrider » 30 Jan 2018, 22:50

aphekgreg wrote:
30 Jan 2018, 19:53
ozrider wrote:
jezzamac wrote:

I've seen older chinese made knock-offs on gumtree, but they were more noticeably a poor copy. The finish looks pretty convincing doesn't it. To me the main give-away is the bridge, I just can't see enough detail otherwise. I don't know if it annoys me that these counterfeits exist or that people might try to pass them off as legit.

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 31 Jan 2018, 08:38

ozrider wrote:
30 Jan 2018, 22:50
aphekgreg wrote:
30 Jan 2018, 19:53
ozrider wrote:

I've seen older chinese made knock-offs on gumtree, but they were more noticeably a poor copy. The finish looks pretty convincing doesn't it. To me the main give-away is the bridge, I just can't see enough detail otherwise. I don't know if it annoys me that these counterfeits exist or that people might try to pass them off as legit.
For me, the biggest issue, is they claim to be the real thing. Branded as Gibson, Fender, Hofner, Rickenbacker, MusicMan etc. and claim to be made in the US or Germany or wherever the originals were made. As with the Japanese, they may one day be as good as the real thing, but unlike the Japanese, they aren't owning the production by using their won names. The original manufacturers didn't like the Japanese copies, but at least they were copies and not counterfeit. Ibanez, Tokai, Fernandes etc. were obviously not Gibson or Fender..
Greg

hamo

Post by hamo » 31 Jan 2018, 09:00

ozrider wrote:
30 Jan 2018, 19:06
jumpin jimmy wrote:
30 Jan 2018, 18:47
Is that the same Brent that used to sell in Melbourne?
I've dealt with Brent a bit too - very obliging fellow, although haven't bought anything. If you look at his stock on Ebay and Gumtree he's got a tonne of good quality MIJ basses and guitars. I think only recently started bringing in a few EBMM's.
Sadowsky MV4-HPJ | Lakland USA Duck Dunn #13 | Genz Benz STM900 | Berg AE212 | Eden XLT210 | Aguilar TLC Compressor | Aguilar Octamiser | Korg Pitchblack | MXR Bass Envelope Filter

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 31 Jan 2018, 09:23

aphekgreg wrote:
30 Jan 2018, 10:19
As a comparison, here's an OLP (Officially Licensed Product) Stingray. Generic bridge and body wood looks cheaper, but is otherwise true to the Stingray design. It is licensed by Ernie Ball and doesn't claim to be made by them.

Here's a Chinese knock off. Nothing looks quite right. This one (being completely illegal) says it's an Ernie Ball MusicMan and has made in California (in the wrong spot) on the back of the headstock.

So, if you're familiar with Stingrays, it's pretty easy to pick a real one, with the only confusion being the Japanese models.
Yes but those OLP basses look the part but sound horrible and don't feel nice to play. I'm actually quite surprised EB allowed their name to be associated this something that bad.

I wasn't aware of the Japanese versions so I've learned something new. But from my experience the best way to get a decent quality Ray on a budget is to buy used, or get an Indonesian Sterling by Musicman (not to be confused with the American Musicman Sterling). The SUB range is not too bad either, especially if you're entry level or just looking for a cheap backup.

Oh and let's not forget the Cort GB75JH as featured in this thread
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23641
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546