>1K bass import via Thomann and Customs/GST??

Electric, Acoustic, Double Bass, Bassists
kat888

Re: >1K bass import via Thomann and Customs/GST??

Post by kat888 » 22 Jun 2017, 06:43

I'm not really arguing with you, but that would require the seller to look up the Customs website etc, which seems a bit counter-intuitive. The Customs bloke told me that going on what I had told him the Stat Code was 48 and when I looked on their website to check it was correct.

This may help someone:

ozrider

Post by ozrider » 23 Jun 2017, 14:43

kat888 wrote:I'm not really arguing with you, but that would require the seller to look up the Customs website etc, which seems a bit counter-intuitive. The Customs bloke told me that going on what I had told him the Stat Code was 48 and when I looked on their website to check it was correct.

This may help someone:

I'm thinking of importing from the UK from a music company there. Do I tell them this stat code or do I need to send some paperwork?

harmonyriver

Post by harmonyriver » 23 Jun 2017, 21:15

I mentioned this before in another post about importation but I not only got hit with GST, I got hit with a fumigation AND quarantine charge as some of the bass wood (most likely the wenge fingerboard and the wooden battery compartment cover) freaked the quarantine staff out even though there was an oil finish. So my bass got fumigated - when I contacted AQIS, they could not tell me what they used (i.e. pyrethrums vs methyl bromide) but on further research, methyl bromide gas is the most commonly used fumigant) - I still gave the bass a good wipe down. Pretty crap to know it has been fumigated with insecticide but can understand it from a quarantine point of view to keep the bugs out of Oz....
1993 Ibanez SD1205PD Wenge/Padauk modified w/ EMG40DC / BTC,
2006 60th MIM P-Bass Blizzard Pearl,
?2009 Yamaha BB414 Blk
Eden Nemesis NC115

"Guitar is for the head, drums are for the chest, but bass gets you in the groin."
- Suzi Quatro

kat888

Post by kat888 » 27 Jun 2017, 23:53

New bass arrived from the Florida swamp today.

There was no indication the box had been opened for inspection - all the tape was original. The export declaration provided by the seller on the box had nothing more than his contact details, my contact details, a description 'electric bass guitar, solid body' and the total value.

All the rest of the documentation was provided by me - a completed import declaration (as excerpted above) and a copy of the invoice. I was charged GST on the total value of the goods including shipping plus a processing fee which was payable via bPay.

The process was straightforward and relatively painless, not that I'm planning to do it again anytime soon.

drbass

Post by drbass » 28 Jun 2017, 06:30

harmonyriver wrote:I mentioned this before in another post about importation but I not only got hit with GST, I got hit with a fumigation AND quarantine charge as some of the bass wood (most likely the wenge fingerboard and the wooden battery compartment cover) freaked the quarantine staff out even though there was an oil finish. So my bass got fumigated - when I contacted AQIS, they could not tell me what they used (i.e. pyrethrums vs methyl bromide) but on further research, methyl bromide gas is the most commonly used fumigant) - I still gave the bass a good wipe down. Pretty crap to know it has been fumigated with insecticide but can understand it from a quarantine point of view to keep the bugs out of Oz....
This is really surprising - a finished instrument quarantined and fumigated.

I've had two deliveries of of raw timber (basically thin sheets of bookmatched pieces of wood to use as tops for basses I build) just come into the country. Some spalted material was in those deliveries which means potentially "live" fungal spores.

Anyway, no rhyme or reason, or consistent approach I can see. Hope your bass is OK ... .

Regards,
Michael
- Merlin “Kermit” 6 multi, Merlin Gaia 6 fretless, Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 28 Jun 2017, 08:46

drbass wrote:This is really surprising - a finished instrument quarantined and fumigated.
Not surprising - brand new timber furniture is usually quarantined and fumigated as well, because borers don't have a preference for old timber over new timber.

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender Bassman 500 and Neo 410

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

harmonyriver

Post by harmonyriver » 28 Jun 2017, 14:43

drbass wrote: This is really surprising - a finished instrument quarantined and fumigated.
I've had two deliveries of of raw timber (basically thin sheets of bookmatched pieces of wood to use as tops for basses I build) just come into the country. Some spalted material was in those deliveries which means potentially "live" fungal spores.
Anyway, no rhyme or reason, or consistent approach I can see. Hope your bass is OK ... .
Wow I am surprised they didn't fumigate the raw timber!
The bass was slightly damaged - they had put the backplate screw and forced it into the battery compartment screw - one was a wood thread, the other one had a metal thread (for the batter compartment with metal screw inserts) - so by using the wooden thread screws, they forced and damaged my metal screw insert and the whole thing is loose... sigh. (I know... first world problems, just to put it into perspective.)
I didn't pursue it with customs as they couldn't even tell me what fumigant they used or who the contractor was... they just wanted me to pay the bill so that the courier could clear the bass through customs...
1993 Ibanez SD1205PD Wenge/Padauk modified w/ EMG40DC / BTC,
2006 60th MIM P-Bass Blizzard Pearl,
?2009 Yamaha BB414 Blk
Eden Nemesis NC115

"Guitar is for the head, drums are for the chest, but bass gets you in the groin."
- Suzi Quatro

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 28 Jun 2017, 15:29

Definitely no rhyme or reason to what customs do. When I bought my Steinberger, they sent it to quarantine!! The only organic matter, apart from the cardboard box, was the soft case and cotton strap.
Greg

Ibanez Musician, MusicMan, Dingwall Z3, Rickenbacker, MIJ Fender Precision & Jazz, Warmoth/Musikraft P/J-bass, Danelectro Longhorn.
Traynor YBA300, MarkBass, GK1001RB2, Berg AE212, Hartke 4.5, '64 Fender Bassman
http://www.aphekstudio.com.au

ozrider

Post by ozrider » 28 Jun 2017, 15:32

aphekgreg wrote:Definitely no rhyme or reason to what customs do. When I bought my Steinberger, they sent it to quarantine!! The only organic matter, apart from the cardboard box, was the soft case and cotton strap.
It seems it's only these above 1k basses that get this type of treatment?

drbass

Post by drbass » 28 Jun 2017, 17:05

aphekgreg wrote:Definitely no rhyme or reason to what customs do. When I bought my Steinberger, they sent it to quarantine!! The only organic matter, apart from the cardboard box, was the soft case and cotton strap.
"carbon fibre" - well, carbon is organic so we better quarantine that ;)
- Merlin “Kermit” 6 multi, Merlin Gaia 6 fretless, Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 28 Jun 2017, 18:38

ozrider wrote:
It seems it's only these above 1k basses that get this type of treatment?
In this case, the seller had put a much lower price on the customs form, which they obviously noticed, so I had to send them the receipt with the full value. I think they wanted to punish me, even though I wasn't responsible for the declaration.

My other theory is that someone at customs wanted to try it out for a week, so just took it home and said it was in quarantine (and sent me the bill).
Greg

Ibanez Musician, MusicMan, Dingwall Z3, Rickenbacker, MIJ Fender Precision & Jazz, Warmoth/Musikraft P/J-bass, Danelectro Longhorn.
Traynor YBA300, MarkBass, GK1001RB2, Berg AE212, Hartke 4.5, '64 Fender Bassman
http://www.aphekstudio.com.au

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 07 Nov 2018, 06:24

Bump.
Oz Bass Forum Moderator

Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

moik

Post by moik » 08 Nov 2018, 09:30

BassLine wrote:
07 Nov 2018, 06:24
Bump.
I’ll bump this bump.
Bought through Thomann a few times but never a bass. Great company to deal with.