New Flea Jazz Bass

Electric, Acoustic, Double Bass, Bassists
DeadlyErnest

Re: New Flea Jazz Bass

Post by DeadlyErnest » 18 Jul 2016, 21:15

rudager wrote:[youtube] https://youtu.be/FtDOVdSMLwg[/youtube]

Here's one of the tours he used it on. Sounds mighty.
I'd hazard a guess as that the signature model has come about by him approaching Fender to clone to original - so he CAN use them more, rather than take the 61. He has been using the clones on this latest tour.
Looks like we should crowdfund them some new gear. :hmm
Will play for food.

SpankyAndy

Post by SpankyAndy » 10 Aug 2016, 16:33

How Flea got the world's coolest bass -- his original 1961 Fender Jazz in Shell Pink (from the donor):

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bass/comments/ ... _his_1961/

Andy

StinkyPete

Post by StinkyPete » 13 Aug 2016, 16:07

So what's the general consensus on where the price should be on these?

I've been looking for the right Jazz bass for a while now but in no rush either.
Ideally I'm after road worn, 2 control and these '61 Flea's really appeal, nothing do do with the Flea factor but simply the spec's and look of the bass itself, being MIM doesn't really bother be because the best 4 string neck I've played to date is a MIM '62 Jazz RI which I bought for my parts P.
I know a lot of you think the price on these new is too much for MIM but is it too much for a road worn '61 RI Jazz, if it was MIA would the price be $4k or more?

I'm not in the market to buy a Jazz yet but hopefully be in a position to purchase towards the end of the year and apart from the Flea '61 there's really only the MIA '62 RI that's north of $3k http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fender-JAZZ- ... SwGIRXY4fw
Getting a custom build will be closer to the $3k + mark and is out of reach for my budget.
I've been down the parts bass path before for average results as well as the Warmoth venture and it was a money pit of trial and error for something I ended up not liking.

I'm hoping when I'm in a position to buy there'll be 1 or 2 Flea '61's popping up S/hand closer to the $1500 mark then I think they'll be a good buy, but I'm interested to hear where you guys thing this Flea '61 should be priced in today's market.
Basses: Sandberg VM5, Fender Geddy Lee J & Fretless P, Warmoth '69 SCP, Squier VM TB.
Amps: Traynor YBA200, Fender TB600, GB STM600
Cabs: Fender Rumble 410 V3, Eden EX112

veebass

Post by veebass » 14 Aug 2016, 06:02

StinkyPete wrote:So what's the general consensus on where the price should be on these?

I'm hoping when I'm in a position to buy there'll be 1 or 2 Flea '61's popping up S/hand closer to the $1500 mark then I think they'll be a good buy, but I'm interested to hear where you guys thing this Flea '61 should be priced in today's market.

Really good question. I think they are pretty attractive as well. I also don't mind that it is MIM, I have had some nice ones from there over the last few years and people rave about the Roadworn series. So I have been having a look at them, I am a sucker for shell pink and I don't have a stacker Jazz, so it would be something different.

Not sure whether you are asking what they should be new or what they should be second hand in today's market.

I'll try and give my opinion on both. You could bring one is from the US. Online price seems to be $US1199- Sweetwater (on backorder) and Bizarre Guitars (they seem to have some). On my calculations, that would set you back $AU2K- $AU2.1K landed using the quoted shipping depending on whether you actually get the solid body bass exemption or not (from experience- you need the seller to complete the correct paper work up front or it can be a hassle). Bass Centre had them on pre order for not much more than that ($2149) and shipping, unless you are in Melbourne (as you are) you would need to factor shipping in. I haven't noticed them for sale elsewhere in Australia yet.
What should they be? Well, given our dollar, import charges and the online price in the US, I think the Bass Centre price is reasonable at present. I would expect, if a reasonable number of them come into Australia, the new price may drop a bit.
Are they worth buying new? Not in my opinion unless you MUST have one. I say that not because of the bass itself (the worth of mass produced basses is a whole question in itself), but because of the resale if you decide to sell it. You would take quite a hit. The resale on them will likely end up lower than $1500 IMO, if there are a few around. While the first few that come up second hand in Australia might get $1500 I can't see them holding that price in the used market, given the pricing of other second hand Roadworn basses. Really depends a bit on how many of them end up in Australia IMO.
An option might be to look for them in the second hand market in the US in a while and try and snag one under the $AU1K level to avoid the government charges. Not sure how that will all work after July 1, 2017.
Happiness is .......a Telebass and 500W.

StinkyPete

Post by StinkyPete » 14 Aug 2016, 09:19

veebass wrote:
Not sure whether you are asking what they should be new or what they should be second hand in today's market.
Hi Russell,

Probably both, I've noticed the price of all basses heading north in a big way over the past year or two locally and what you could buy a MIA Fender new 2 years ago you would be lucky to get a MIM for the same price now.
Is it that this particular bass is over priced or all MIM's in general at the moment because of Aud exchange rates? People seemed to scoff at the price on these Flea basses when I actually thought it was pretty good for today's local market, I'm not saying it's worth that much, just saying it's comparative to say the MIM road worn series but also relative to where the whole new market has gone lately.
I was just curious that's all.

I'm def not in a rush for another bass so won't/can't pay new price but in 6 months or so I'll be keeping an eye out for one of these '61 Jazz's and what you've said about s/hand pricing makes sense so it will be interesting to watch how they sit in the marked down the track with a few factors dictating pricing.
Basses: Sandberg VM5, Fender Geddy Lee J & Fretless P, Warmoth '69 SCP, Squier VM TB.
Amps: Traynor YBA200, Fender TB600, GB STM600
Cabs: Fender Rumble 410 V3, Eden EX112

omgitzrick

Post by omgitzrick » 18 Aug 2016, 15:22

I think all MIMs are a little high, but this more than most. It's probably too cheap to be a MIA in the current pricing structure unfortunately, but I still feel like $2000+ should be getting you a USA/Japan/Germany build, rather than Mexican/Indonesian/Korean/Chinese.

I think I just need to get over my "country of origin" hangups. I had a Dingwall NG2 and it was a fine instrument, but I COULD NOT shake the idea that I had spent $2200 on a Chinese build and offloaded it.

veebass

Post by veebass » 18 Aug 2016, 16:05

omgitzrick wrote:I think all MIMs are a little high, but this more than most. It's probably too cheap to be a MIA in the current pricing structure unfortunately, but I still feel like $2000+ should be getting you a USA/Japan/Germany build, rather than Mexican/Indonesian/Korean/Chinese.

I think I just need to get over my "country of origin" hangups. I had a Dingwall NG2 and it was a fine instrument, but I COULD NOT shake the idea that I had spent $2200 on a Chinese build and offloaded it.
That's why I think people will take a big hit on these if they sell them after buying them new for over $AU2K.

Not sure but from memory, I think the Mike Dirnt RWs were somewhere near the same price- could be wrong.

These Flea Jazzes do have appeal though, just not $2K worth of appeal to me.

omgitzrick

Post by omgitzrick » 18 Aug 2016, 16:06

Agreed. I was hyped when I saw Bass Centre advertise them and watched the little promo video, then I saw the price and the MIM stamp.

veebass

Post by veebass » 19 Aug 2016, 06:48

Quite a few new ones have just gone up on US eBay at $US1199 plus $US150 shipping. Brings them in at around $AU2K landed here (depending on the actual exchange rate you pay and whether you get the exemption). They must be starting to hit the shops in the US in some numbers now.

MrMow

Post by MrMow » 23 Aug 2016, 09:59

Ive owned Road Worns, Ive owned American Vintage RI and I've owned a bunch of Custom shop basses and I'm gonna say it.. I honestly think the RW stuff is about 9/10th of the way to the custom shop stuff I really do, playability, sound but most of all VIBE, theres just something special about this roadworn stuff, the necks are always amazing.
Fender 75P - G&L SB2

maxgroover

Post by maxgroover » 23 Aug 2016, 10:14

SpankyAndy wrote:How Flea got the world's coolest bass -- his original 1961 Fender Jazz in Shell Pink (from the donor):

Andy
I wouldn't have shared that story if it were me. The dude hears that Flea is after a vintage jazz bass, he finds a 61 in Shell Pink and buys it for $35k, offers it to Flea who says he can't afford it and offers a Modulus for trade instead with a value of max $10k. So at best he's taken a $25k hit.... He mentions early in the story that he wasted a lot of money on other things so it appears to be a bad habit!!

Did Flea get a good deal? I guess it depends what he paid for his Modulus he traded but on the surface it sounds like an extremely good deal!!
Ozbass moderator

The Moods Band

Mailloux, Fender, Lakland, Univox basses
Genz Benz, Tech 21, BBE, Crown, Zoom amps and preamps
Bergantino & Genz Benz Cabs

SpankyAndy

Post by SpankyAndy » 23 Aug 2016, 17:24

maxgroover wrote:
SpankyAndy wrote:How Flea got the world's coolest bass -- his original 1961 Fender Jazz in Shell Pink (from the donor):

Andy
I wouldn't have shared that story if it were me. The dude hears that Flea is after a vintage jazz bass, he finds a 61 in Shell Pink and buys it for $35k, offers it to Flea who says he can't afford it and offers a Modulus for trade instead with a value of max $10k. So at best he's taken a $25k hit.... He mentions early in the story that he wasted a lot of money on other things so it appears to be a bad habit!!

Did Flea get a good deal? I guess it depends what he paid for his Modulus he traded but on the surface it sounds like an extremely good deal!!
:thumbup:

I thought the Modulus was a prototype signature model, so it would probably have been free to Flea...

The dude obviously had more money than sense (and brain cells after all his indulgences).

@ndy

lamefingers

Post by lamefingers » 11 Mar 2018, 11:57

Bit of a zombie dig up but did anyone ever pick one of these up?

specitim

Post by specitim » 11 Mar 2018, 14:47

They arent that rare and come up from time to time on the used market. I had a play with one but wasn't really that impressed with the build quality (I know it's a Mex). Ended up buying a 60s RI jap deluxe and changing the control plate which has given me a much happier result :)
Fodera Monarch Custom Deluxe 5, Lakland USA 55-94, Lakland USA 44-94, Rickenbacker 4001, Fender USA P Special, G&L L2500, Fender USA Jazz Fretless, Heavy Relic P Bass, 70s Fender/East Jazz, Fender 62RI CIJ Jazz, Fender Kingsman, and 10 more!

blizzard

Post by blizzard » 11 Mar 2018, 15:22

I played one in a store and really like the feel and sound. I thought it was much better than the current Japanese basses that are a similar price.