Cleaning Maple Fretboard

Electric, Acoustic, Double Bass, Bassists
Petebass

Re: Cleaning Maple Fretboard

Post by Petebass » 08 Apr 2016, 15:04

Awesome, thanks. Yet another approach to keep in mind .... with pics showing great results :)
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

bassbass

Post by bassbass » 08 Apr 2016, 17:38

First I use dry cleaning fluid/ shellite / prepsol etc. For marks that remain, I use diluted bleach. (Carefully ;) ) and if necessary scraping and/or 0000 steel wool. Then I wax the board with a carnuba flooring wax.
robkiddmusic.com
fb/robkiddmusicofficial

Ox Boris

Post by Ox Boris » 08 Apr 2016, 19:07

slowlearner wrote:rubbing alcohol
Somebody mentioned to be cautious with this as they sometimes contain water. For instance, this bottle of Isocol on my desk is only 64% Isopropyl Alcohol. I mean, yeah, it'll get you pissed, but, for me, the water kinda wastes time...

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 12 Apr 2016, 20:07

Petebass wrote:. They weren't expensive, a pack of 20 for $19.80 shipped.
Hmmm, how about $5 for 20 instead? That's how much these are at Coles:

http://www.oakwoodproducts.com/products ... wyzeaWubqA

"Contains orange oil that assist in removing dirt and grime, whilst carnauba wax polishes and protects"

Sounds pretty similar to Ernie Ball wonder wipe to me?
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

lownotes42

Post by lownotes42 » 13 Apr 2016, 09:55

Good work Pete - I am going to look out for these and give them a try.
Clover Apeiron5, Stingray 5, USA DLX Dimension 5HH, '97 USA DLX Suhr Jazz V, USA P5, BB735a and Bergantino Amplification.

veebass

Post by veebass » 13 Apr 2016, 12:33

Petebass wrote:
Petebass wrote:. They weren't expensive, a pack of 20 for $19.80 shipped.
Hmmm, how about $5 for 20 instead? That's how much these are at Coles:

http://www.oakwoodproducts.com/products ... wyzeaWubqA

"Contains orange oil that assist in removing dirt and grime, whilst carnauba wax polishes and protects"

Sounds pretty similar to Ernie Ball wonder wipe to me?
Thanks, Pete. Or 2 packets for $8 at Coles, Noosa.
Just used one on the back of the neck of my early 69 Telecaster Bass and it certainly removed a lot of grime from the pores that normal cleaning had not removed. It's still not perfect but probably 70% of the grime has gone. Put it this way, I can now see that the neck is actually quite flamey.
This bass is a transitional example, finished in a patchwork of nitro and poly, as was the case at the time. Poly only on the fretboard- all the rest nitro. Later in 69 they moved to a full poly finish, except the front of the headstock. Someone removed a lot of the nitro from the back of the neck of this one presumably years before I got it by the extent of the grime on the back of the neck- I suspect the old steel wool trick in the late 70s, when a number of other things were done to the bass, which I have since reversed.
The back of the neck became quite dirty and oily feeling in the intervening years.
How's it feel now?- never felt a smoother, less sticky neck.
Interesting aside. The guy who did the refret on this bass a few years ago, remarked that he felt it was relatively dull acoustically. He claimed to have seen a number of other acoustically dull Fenders over the years which had the steel wool treatment to the back of the neck and then had their necks go grimy. He wondered whether the grime and oil in the pores was a factor.
What I can say is that after this first cleaning, the bass sounds more alive acoustically to me.
Happiness is .......a Telebass and 500W.

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 13 Apr 2016, 12:58

Thanks for the input guys. I didn't actually buy any because I've got the EB wipes on the way to me. But I think I might get some, then do my customary mad scientist thing and arrange a trial. I'll use the EB wipes to clean part of the maple fretboard on my 2001 Stingray 5, then use the Oakwood wipes on another part of the same fretboard. It'll be interesting to see which wipe produces the better result....

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 17 Apr 2016, 09:12

Ok folks experiment completed, Ernie Ball fretboard wipes VS Oakwood wood care cleaning wipes.

This pic says it all:Image

The Ernie Ball wipe is on the left, the Oakwood wipe on the right. The Oakwood wipe clearly removed more dirt and grime than the EB wipe. The Oakwood wipe is also twice the size, despite being a quarter the price. Both smell like "chemical orange", but the EB wipe had the stronger, more chemical smell.

Unfortunately, neither wipe solved my problem. My fretboard needs sanding to get it looking nice again. It looks better after a clean but not by much. FWIW, both wipes produced great results on the rosewood board of my old nylon stringed acoustic guitar.

Before pic:

After pic:
Last edited by Petebass on 17 Apr 2016, 17:45, edited 1 time in total.

Ox Boris

Post by Ox Boris » 17 Apr 2016, 16:56

The before pic looks horrible and grimy. After is a huge improvement and you can see it's clean. I'm actually digging those war scars, now. I'd keep 'em.

ozrider

Post by ozrider » 07 Jul 2018, 13:32

Ok time for a bump of this zombie thread, because it's also time to get serious about cleaning my SR5 maple fretboard. It's been getting a lot of action lately.

Looking through these posts, I can see a vote for white spirits to clean (when Rob speaks I listen), probably thinking just a cloth here(?), and then either lemon oil ? I have the dunlop 65 ultimate lemon oil - says it cleans and conditions???

Anyway, I'm hoping it's just a trip to bunnings, I know the OP used tru oil but I don't think that's avail at Bunnings

packrat

Post by packrat » 07 Jul 2018, 14:05

Finished or unfinished maple? If it's finished, you're not going to get a lot of mileage out of conditioning it.

B>

ozrider

Post by ozrider » 07 Jul 2018, 14:34

packrat wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 14:05
Finished or unfinished maple? If it's finished, you're not going to get a lot of mileage out of conditioning it.

B>
unfinished

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 07 Jul 2018, 15:51

try this first

warm water and an electric toothbrush, the round head ones are great :)

Minimal elbow grease required so it's gentle on the board
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts