Fretless Joy

Electric, Acoustic, Double Bass, Bassists
BazzBass

Fretless Joy

Post by BazzBass » 03 Oct 2019, 14:49

bought my first fretless a while back,a little apprehensive if I could adapt to it.
Well, I love it, love the freedom to fret where I want to fret, my ears telling me if I'm a little out and I adjust easily. I was worried my damaged hearing would stop this but it hasn't,if anything it has enhanced my 'musical ear'.
So much so I don't like playing fretted basses,and I have six of them, ay ya yay Luceeeeeee.
Playing fretted basses is so much easier now , the frets tell you where you are, less looking at the board.

Only issue is I like the flats it came with,but wanna try rounds too.....I think I need a second fretless for rounds....yeah, thats the solution, need another bass.......

or take a butter knife to one of my existing basses.....

that is all, just wanted to share my joy, carry on ..... :blah:
Loud things: Trace Elliot Elf and 10" cabs ,Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs, Yamaha DTX drums
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P,J&J Fretless,Hofner B Bass,Mike Dirnt P, SX J
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

slowlearner

Re: Fretless Joy

Post by slowlearner » 04 Oct 2019, 12:43

Good on you. I too love playing fretless. There is a freedom that comes with it. Freedom to get it wrong! LOL :D

But seriously, it's a lot more organic. It doesn't cut quite as well in some styles, but it does sit under other styles nicely. One thing that get's complex with fretless is singing at the same time. I'm playing a bit more fretted at the mo while I sing more. I'll probably switch back once I feel like I'm on top of it.
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - https://www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/

noplanb

Post by noplanb » 04 Oct 2019, 15:07

Nice to hear there is continued enjoyment mucking about with basses!
I used to play fretless with a low, but not so low action. Played it for years just like a normal fretted with hardly any sense of its fretlessness. When I got the JB4 and worked on it to see how low I could go, boy it just opened up with the woody, but very fine 'buzz'. So much so, that I changed to tapewounds to tame the buzz. Now its so easy to play (on the lines), and digging in just a bit brings out the mwahzzzz.
So go low for zangy-mwah central......
I see..............basses!

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 04 Oct 2019, 18:43

Love my Fretless basses.

Try playing along to music with the lights turned off. No chance of cheating by looking. That took my Fretless work to a whole new level.
Oz Bass Forum Moderator

Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - Bergantino

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 04 Oct 2019, 19:23

BassLine wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 18:43
Love my Fretless basses.

Try playing along to music with the lights turned off. No chance of cheating by looking. That took my Fretless work to a whole new level.
I do this ! ever since a gig where the stage lights were one red and one green light, NOT pointed anywhere near me hehe.

PLUS it eliminates the hum from my dimmer switch lol rotfl
Loud things: Trace Elliot Elf and 10" cabs ,Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs, Yamaha DTX drums
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P,J&J Fretless,Hofner B Bass,Mike Dirnt P, SX J

WestOfBen

Post by WestOfBen » 09 Oct 2019, 12:19

I am just picking mine up again for a gig next week. Installed some Bart P/J pickups earlier this year. Tweaked the wiring on Monday, tone cap was wrong and I couldn't eliminate enough treble for some songs. I can possibly bring the action a tad lower on E and A strings too.

Last night's practice was good. Mostly getting to grips with nuances again, like whether to play a song in first position or higher up the neck. I feel that while position on a fretted bass does make a difference, this is exaggerated on fretless. Mine doesn't have any lines and the silver marker lines I drew on the side of the board are now mostly gone again. Gotta do something about that while I am relearning this thing!

For a good few years fretless was my only bass. I was really good at it for a while and hope to get back there again. I plan on using fretless for maybe 10-20% of my songs.
Rickenbacker 4003JG, Epiphone Ripper, Marina P/J fretless, Tanglewood ABG, 1960s Rose Music Tempo SS semi-hollow bass, an acoustic guitar, GK 700RB-II, SWR Henry 8x8, some pedals and synths
My band is called Ascribe

jezzamac

Post by jezzamac » 09 Oct 2019, 16:50

This thread has inspired me to dig out my fretless from out of the cupboard. It is a 1980-81 Maton JB4. I have been worried about my intonation ever since some guy told me how good it was to hear a fretless bass … played almost in tune!!
Anyway, I played it rehearsal last night and was really pleased with it on some songs. The others in the band didn't notice any glaring intonation issues. I think I'll start using it more often. Thanks.
Fender '78 Precision, Squier CV Jazz, Maton JBIV, Ibanez SR405, G&L Tribute SB2, Ashbory and Markbass CMD121P, Fender Rumble V# 12" cab, GK 400RB, No-name 4x10 cab
funKtus, Samurai Trash, Exploding Happiness, Night Radio (no longer).

bigswifty

Post by bigswifty » 09 Oct 2019, 19:04

Every time I pick up a fretless I think "Ah this is the only way to play bass". When I go back to a fretted I think "Ah this is the only way to play bass". Pretty happy that I'm right half the time.
Mike
Tiny bar? People eating their dinner? Band wedged into the corner? Guess I'll only bring two of my quad boxes.

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 10 Oct 2019, 12:52

glad I've 'inspired' some of you to get your fretless out of storage :)
finding all the different sounds I can get all over the board. SO much variety in tones. small slides, BIG slides, vibrato etc

what am I gonna do with my 6 fretted basses?

WestOfBen

Post by WestOfBen » 11 Oct 2019, 11:44

bigswifty wrote:
09 Oct 2019, 19:04
Every time I pick up a fretless I think "Ah this is the only way to play bass". When I go back to a fretted I think "Ah this is the only way to play bass". Pretty happy that I'm right half the time.
Mike
Technically you're right 100% of the time, only the context differs :D
Rickenbacker 4003JG, Epiphone Ripper, Marina P/J fretless, Tanglewood ABG, 1960s Rose Music Tempo SS semi-hollow bass, an acoustic guitar, GK 700RB-II, SWR Henry 8x8, some pedals and synths
My band is called Ascribe