Needing help identifying a 1975 Jazz.

Electric, Acoustic, Double Bass, Bassists
terry

Needing help identifying a 1975 Jazz.

Post by terry » 11 Sep 2019, 19:02

I'm trying to identify this 1975 J..

Here are a few extra pics:

I can't seem to identify the serial number on the neckplate? Judging by the neck heel date (the year doesnt show as it might have rubbed off) it checks out as a 4 bolt 1975 neckplate, but I'm just trying to make sure everything else looks right.

Can anyone help?
Low End Jazz 5 - EBS Reidmar 250 - MarkBass RJ15

Bass Lesson Enquiries: roma.terry@gmail.com

veebass

Re: Needing help identifying a 1975 Jazz.

Post by veebass » 11 Sep 2019, 20:54

I can't access the rest of the pics from here, so a bit hamstrung.
It should have a serial on the neck plate if the plate is original.
Can I see a long G string saddle screw? If it is, the bridge (or the bass) is older than 1975. These are usually seen basses from 1969 to 1973.
Bridge pickup looks to be in right position. A shot of the tuners and the neck plate might be useful
Looks like it has been striped of the body finish.
Happiness is .......a Telebass and 500W.

veebass

Post by veebass » 12 Sep 2019, 08:44

If I am seeing a long G intonation screw and it is original to the bass, I would question the pickguard as original and thumb rest position.

If I had to guess , on what I can see, it isn't all original, but may be a little older than a 75.
At the least, it appears refinished- body appears alder- natural was over ash.
Some of the hardware raises questions.

Need more pics.

bassmaniac69

Post by bassmaniac69 » 12 Sep 2019, 10:46

I have a 74 jazz that i woudl be happy to take any photos you need for comparison if that would help mate!

vin-tone

Post by vin-tone » 12 Sep 2019, 17:57

That 4 digit stamp seems to indicate a 1970 neck. 02 is the week, 0 is the year and 1 is the day.
https://www.strat-central.com/70sstrats/index.htm
Neck & Body Stamps:

WWYD Example: 0304 - Basically the same as the date portion of the nine digit neck stamp although in black ink. They seem to be found on the bottom of the neck heel, as well as in the neck pocket of the body, or even just stamped on the front under the pickguard on Natural finished guitars. In this case it stands for the 3rd week of 1980 and was a Thursday. Ignore all the "FRR" stamps you'll find on the neck base and in the neck pocket. They are believed to just be some kind of quality check stamps.
.. and made by Xavier Amarant.
Fender Roscoe Beck V, Fender 63AVRI, Eberhard Meinel Upright > Markbass & AI Coda

veebass

Post by veebass » 12 Sep 2019, 19:38

vin-tone wrote:
12 Sep 2019, 17:57
That 4 digit stamp seems to indicate a 1970 neck. 02 is the week, 0 is the year and 1 is the day.
Neck & Body Stamps:

WWYD Example: 0304 - Basically the same as the date portion of the nine digit neck stamp although in black ink. They seem to be found on the bottom of the neck heel, as well as in the neck pocket of the body, or even just stamped on the front under the pickguard on Natural finished guitars. In this case it stands for the 3rd week of 1980 and was a Thursday. Ignore all the "FRR" stamps you'll find on the neck base and in the neck pocket. They are believed to just be some kind of quality check stamps.
That would fit with the long G intonation screw I think I detect.
The bridge pickup position would indicate not earlier than 72/ 73
The tug bar position indicates a pickguard from around 74/ 75. Black guards were commoner by then as well.

If it is "all original" it is a curious mix of parts. It is difficult to date early 70s basses but I think this one may well have been put together from a few basses.

Just found the neck pocket pic- confirms the finish was stripped.

BTW Owners manuals are easy to buy separately on the net.

vin-tone

Post by vin-tone » 13 Sep 2019, 17:43

veebass wrote:
12 Sep 2019, 19:38
Yeah looks like it was sunburst.

My gut feel is that this is a parts bass - Looks awesome - but not the original specimen he thinks he has. You could ask for pix of the electronics. Pots should have dates too. And if the solder looks "new" then you know it's been assembled or stripped recently.
Fender Roscoe Beck V, Fender 63AVRI, Eberhard Meinel Upright > Markbass & AI Coda

veebass

Post by veebass » 13 Sep 2019, 18:50

vin-tone wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 17:43

My gut feel is that this is a parts bass - Looks awesome - but not the original specimen he thinks he has. You could ask for pix of the electronics. Pots should have dates too. And if the solder looks "new" then you know it's been assembled or stripped recently.

My thoughts.

TAL

Post by TAL » 19 Sep 2019, 16:28

Should also be numbers on the back of the pickups.

terry

Post by terry » 19 Sep 2019, 22:10

veebass wrote:
12 Sep 2019, 19:38
vin-tone wrote:
12 Sep 2019, 17:57
Neck & Body Stamps:

That would fit with the long G intonation screw I think I detect.
The bridge pickup position would indicate not earlier than 72/ 73
The tug bar position indicates a pickguard from around 74/ 75. Black guards were commoner by then as well.

If it is "all original" it is a curious mix of parts. It is difficult to date early 70s basses but I think this one may well have been put together from a few basses.

BTW Owners manuals are easy to buy separately on the net.
Thanks so much, I felt like there are wayyyy too many red flags on this one so I had to pass. Guy who sent me a clip don't really play bass and it sounded terrible to be honest compared to most 70s J I've heard. He insisted that the paint is original and that it just worn off, real hard to convince me to pay any coin for it even when he agreed that he'd considered 3.3k for it.
Low End Jazz 5 - EBS Reidmar 250 - MarkBass RJ15

Bass Lesson Enquiries: roma.terry@gmail.com