Cole Clark Basses - any experience?

Electric, Acoustic, Double Bass, Bassists
jimmibass

Re: Cole Clark Basses - any experience?

Post by jimmibass » 12 Jun 2019, 09:25

So after a bit of investigation I have finally managed to get the electronics in this bass fixed.

Opening up the control cavity, I everything looked pretty factory neat. Nothing obvious. When lifting out the controls some of the wiring snapped off at the solder joints. Some of the wires snapped off just by touching the joints. I decided to rewire everything after about 40% of the wires snapped off just by touching them.
After removing the and testing the pots I found the wrong pots were installed. The wiring diagram shows the bass mid and treb should be 50K Linear pots. two of them were 50K Log pots and 1 was 25K log.
I definitely did not seem like anyone has played with the wiring in this bass. Pretty crazy that the wrong pots were put in (possibly at the factory) however i didn't buy this bass new so who knows....but i don't see that someone would pull out the factory pots and put in the wrong ones.

Had to get the pots from Aguilar at great expense as 50k linear center dent pots are not easy to get online.
new pots in and bass it awesome.

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 12 Jun 2019, 12:35

jimmibass wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 09:25
So after a bit of investigation I have finally managed to get the electronics in this bass fixed.

Opening up the control cavity, I everything looked pretty factory neat. Nothing obvious. When lifting out the controls some of the wiring snapped off at the solder joints. Some of the wires snapped off just by touching the joints. I decided to rewire everything after about 40% of the wires snapped off just by touching them.
After removing the and testing the pots I found the wrong pots were installed. The wiring diagram shows the bass mid and treb should be 50K Linear pots. two of them were 50K Log pots and 1 was 25K log.
I definitely did not seem like anyone has played with the wiring in this bass. Pretty crazy that the wrong pots were put in (possibly at the factory) however i didn't buy this bass new so who knows....but i don't see that someone would pull out the factory pots and put in the wrong ones.

Had to get the pots from Aguilar at great expense as 50k linear center dent pots are not easy to get online.
wow! That's pretty incredible. Wrong pots AND poor solder joints .

Good to hear that it's finally sorted and you're really liking it :thumbup:
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Yeah, I'm gonna take my horse to the old town road...
No ... I'm not really ... that would be dumb

jimmibass

Post by jimmibass » 12 Jun 2019, 12:49

PilbaraBass wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 12:35
jimmibass wrote:

wow! That's pretty incredible. Wrong pots AND poor solder joints .

Good to hear that it's finally sorted and you're really liking it :thumbup:
Yeah pretty crazy. I don't get it.
Anyways - love the bass. Its so light compared to my Warwick and has a really usable tone that can work for everything.

Heath

Post by Heath » 12 Jun 2019, 14:33

jimmibass wrote:

I have the feeling mine might have a few wrong pots too, I can run the treble fully boosted and it doesn’t seem to do much
Cole Clarke LL5, Yamaha 425x, Fender CS 57P+Geddy Lee, Sandberg Ida, Spector Euro 4LX, Belman Custom 5
Amps: Markbass, Thunderfunk, Phil Jones
http://cruzersnewcastle.wixsite.com/rock-band

jimmibass

Post by jimmibass » 12 Jun 2019, 15:25

Heath wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 14:33
jimmibass wrote:

I have the feeling mine might have a few wrong pots too, I can run the treble fully boosted and it doesn’t seem to do much
The treble definitely makes a pretty big difference on my bass when turned up or down.

Easy to check mate.
Get a multimeter and measure from the middle pin to one of the outer pins on the pot. With the pot in the center dent, you should get 25K ohms. Wind the pot one way and the resistance will decrease fairly evenly untill you read 0. Turn it the other way and you should get increase up to 50K.
If you get something like 10-7K ohms between the middle and the cetnter pin when the pot is on the center dent then it is a log pot.
If you measure across the two outer pins you should get 50K. if you don't, is wrong pot.
I had a 25K pot installed for the mid control.

I bought the pots here:
https://www.aguilaramp.com/product-cate ... tiometers/