B-Drive Mk.2

Boutique bass guitar effects pedals that require no battery or power supply. Includes multi-channel boosters and drivers in a compact, aluminium casing with D.I. output.
caeman

B-Drive Mk.2

Post by caeman » 03 May 2012, 11:11

New Pedal Day!

The B-Drive Mk.2 is a revised offering from Cave Passive Pedals. One of the changes is the option to buy it in 1590A size.

I have recently been on the hunt for an overdrive pedal to add a little grunt to my signal, but stay on a small budget. Well, it doesn't get any smaller than free from my endorsee, but at $69 AUD, it still seems like a bargain. This pedal, like the other offerings from Cave is passive. "So is their signal loss?" Well, yes, a little, but the LVL knobs can turned up and add it back. It's magic. The higher the drive, there is signal loss, so turn the turn level up to counter it.

I wouldn't suggest using this by itself straight to PA, there is too much signal loss. But, between the bass and the amp and you are okay, or an EQ or other powered pedal before it to keep the impedances correct. When I record the sound samples, I will be putting my trusty Behringer BEQ700 in front of it.

Gretsch -> BEQ700 -> B-Drive -> Mixer

On the face of it, I would describe the sound of it be similar to what my Gretsch sounds like through my Joyo Ultimate Drive. There is no EQ control, so you cannot the treble or bass like you might with a Boss ODB-3. In a 1590A enclosure size, you are limited in how many knobs you fit on there.

I am experimenting with different configurations of the two knobs and will get some samples recorded in the next day or three, so you can judge with your own ears whether this is a good pedal, or not a good pedal.

I like the minimalism of the pedal's appearance. And that round ball thing next to the foot-switch is petty nifty. You see it when the pedal is on. You don't when the pedal is on.
Chad Wilson

Endorsing Artist: Cave Passive Pedals

Cave Passive Pedals

Re: B-Drive Mk.2

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 03 May 2012, 22:40

So, Is there a volume loss?

caeman

Post by caeman » 04 May 2012, 02:00

Unity volume with drive at minimum seems to be roughly 11:00. Beyond that 7:00 (max), it gains enough to clip my bass amp big time.

This thing of the knobs working in reverse still trips me up. :) I wondered why everything was so loud, at first, when the knobs were at "minimum". Uh...wrong "minimum". :D

From there, you can adjust the drive to max without perceived loss.

We have a winner!
Chad Wilson

Cave Passive Pedals

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 05 May 2012, 12:11

Wait until you hear the next generation! We still have one hurdle to overcome (which may take some time) but if you think the MKII's a winner...!!

Heath

caeman

Post by caeman » 05 May 2012, 12:44

Cave Passive Pedals wrote:...We still have one hurdle to overcome (which may take some time)...
Would that be the law of physics? ;)
Chad Wilson

PilbaraBass

B-Drive Mk.2

Post by PilbaraBass » 05 May 2012, 14:15

In Caveland, NSW physics don't apply :D
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

Cave Passive Pedals

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 07 May 2012, 11:37

I thought you were a believer, Chad!

caeman

Post by caeman » 07 May 2012, 11:52

:D

Indeed, good sir, I have seen the power of the B-Drive in live performance. It does work.
Chad Wilson

spencerbasssman

Post by spencerbasssman » 20 May 2012, 22:50

Indeed it does! Liking the finish on the pedal as well, just a shame they aren't easy to do.
caeman wrote:
Cave Passive Pedals wrote:...We still have one hurdle to overcome (which may take some time)...
Would that be the law of physics? ;)
I think it might be training those little monkeys that go in the pedals... ;)

But I am sure as hell the MkIII will be just as brilliant!
Blessed are the pedal makers!
Caveslave
Endorser: Cave Passive Pedals

Cave Passive Pedals

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 21 May 2012, 12:35

Monkeys... Cockies... Don't forget the Elves! I like Elves, or is that Elvis?

O.K., who would like to know what the hurdle is? All of you physics buffs, I suppose!?
It's as simple as a connection! We've surpassed the "physics" thing, got loads of volume (absolute ear piercing!), we've surpassed the overdrive/distortion (too much distortion!) and we've gone waaayy passed the effects loop issue that many of you didn't like. So, it comes down to one simple connection...

Cheers
Heath
PS. That's all the info you guys are getting for now! Sorry.

spencerbasssman

Post by spencerbasssman » 22 May 2012, 21:58

This pedal is sounding better every time I read about it. And at least the hurdles are being tackled, that's always good news!
Blessed are the pedal makers!
Caveslave
Endorser: Cave Passive Pedals