"The Cave Monster'' Bass Pickup

Boutique bass guitar effects pedals that require no battery or power supply. Includes multi-channel boosters and drivers in a compact, aluminium casing with D.I. output.
Cave Passive Pedals

Re: "The Cave Monster'' Bass Pickup

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 04 Jan 2015, 11:13

Hi Guys,

Just to clarify (in case I've confused anybody)... This is my Jazz bass (Schecter kit) that I've been working on. When I've completed a section, I've sent Dave photos to upload (I'm not computer friendly and have no idea how to do that stuff! Thanks Dave).

Bass is now ready to ship to Dave for demonstration recording and then off to Blaine's for his approval (as they live close by), then the bass is going to Eden's.

Although Blaine requires two pickups for his build, I have suggested that he installs the single unit Monster into his newly acquired Warmoth bass for demo-ing, keeping an existing original pickup to compare with. I'll later construct two pickups, with relevant effects, for his new build.

Cheers
Heath

weemac

Post by weemac » 04 Jan 2015, 18:43

Stereo output?

Eden.
Endorser of Cave Passive Pedals (just so you know)
BMR: Blorf My Rig!

Oh! And I woz the chap behind Polymack Basses....

Cave Passive Pedals

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 04 Jan 2015, 19:04

weemac wrote:Stereo output?

Eden.
Yep, if you call two totally independent circuits "stereo". I'm sure you'll come up with some fantastical idea, Eden! Oct-up with delay...?

Cave Passive Pedals

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 04 Jan 2015, 20:52

Hi Guys,

The great thing I've realised, now that I've had time to play with the bass / monster pup, is that each Monster Pickup can be made to a tiny size, but they sound like humbuckers (and act like it, there's no noise, even if I disengage the earth wire to the bridge!).

Also, by adding another pickup, it just gets louder! (Impedance thing.) I'll be trying three in parallel tomorrow...

Cheers
Heath

jpr_musicman

Post by jpr_musicman » 04 Jan 2015, 21:57

Can't wait to hear a sample. I am wondering, you say a tiny size, can they be made shallower? Maybe by over a wider area, With a view to surface mounting?
James Russell
Cave Passive Pedals Endorser
Corporate Sell-out (cruise ships)

Cave Passive Pedals

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 04 Jan 2015, 22:14

jpr_musicman wrote:Can't wait to hear a sample. I am wondering, you say a tiny size, can they be made shallower? Maybe by over a wider area, With a view to surface mounting?
You know, James, I thought about that, and how revolutionary it would be. A project for the future, I think!

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 05 Jan 2015, 10:31

Cave Passive Pedals wrote:
jpr_musicman wrote:Can't wait to hear a sample. I am wondering, you say a tiny size, can they be made shallower? Maybe by over a wider area, With a view to surface mounting?
You know, James, I thought about that, and how revolutionary it would be. A project for the future, I think!
They've been making surface mounted pickups for jazz guitars for quite a while now... but surface mounting pickups on bass guitars is a new thing...

although, I did manage to dig up a Talkbass discussion the subject from just this past August...
http://www.talkbass.com/threads/surface ... p.1099805/

Lace makes these... I believe these may be the pickups that are on the Godin A5.
http://www.lacemusic.com/USAB.php
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 05 Jan 2015, 10:34

yep... they are the pickups on the A4ultraP and A5ultraP

http://www.godinguitars.com/godina45ultrap.htm
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

Cave Passive Pedals

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 05 Jan 2015, 18:37

Three pickups, each with volume, work very well together. I probably wouldn't go any more than three, as the pickups really need to be widely spaced to get the benefit of some great tone variations (four would probably be too close).

Having one pup at the neck, one at the bridge and the third between the other two (all equally spaced), gives some amazing colourations. Adding a specially designed eq control, then gives you a totally malleable platform to create your desired tone.

On top of 3 volumes and a tone knob, a drive control gives you a mean and dirty rock machine!

Cheers
Heath

basshack

Post by basshack » 05 Jan 2015, 19:49

:partydance: A fretless mean and dirty rock machine?
><((((º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... >((((º>

weemac

Post by weemac » 05 Jan 2015, 23:20

Cave Passive Pedals wrote:
weemac wrote:Stereo output?

Eden.
Yep, if you call two totally independent circuits "stereo". I'm sure you'll come up with some fantastical idea, Eden! Oct-up with delay...?
Seperate outputs for the standard and monster pickup, now that has some evil merit...

Eden.
Endorser of Cave Passive Pedals (just so you know)
BMR: Blorf My Rig!

Oh! And I woz the chap behind Polymack Basses....

SpankyAndy

Post by SpankyAndy » 06 Jan 2015, 11:43

bobbybdazzler wrote:Image
That looks great, but would look even more awesome with Fender Jaguar style wheels used on the rhythm circuit of the guitar, instead of the protruding knobs.

Andy

KirBass

Post by KirBass » 06 Jan 2015, 12:57

very cool...I can see one of these going in the mudbucker rout on my pbass :twisted:

OR replacing both pups in Jaguar :twisted: :twisted:

Cave Passive Pedals

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 06 Jan 2015, 13:36

SpankyAndy wrote:
bobbybdazzler wrote:Image
That looks great, but would look even more awesome with Fender Jaguar style wheels used on the rhythm circuit of the guitar, instead of the protruding knobs.

Andy
Now that's a great idea! If it turns out that someone needs this sort of set up for real (not just a demo), then those wheels are nice and tidy.

SpankyAndy

Post by SpankyAndy » 06 Jan 2015, 16:50

I'm dying to hear how the MONSTER pickup sounds...

It certainly looks awesome Heath.

Andy