Make your own Cave pedal- Electronic Kits

Boutique bass guitar effects pedals that require no battery or power supply. Includes multi-channel boosters and drivers in a compact, aluminium casing with D.I. output.
Cave Passive Pedals

Make your own Cave pedal- Electronic Kits

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 19 Nov 2014, 09:28

Hi Guys

Just having thoughts about using my step son's idea from many years ago...

Josh always said that an electronic component kit comprising a pre-drilled case and all components to build your own Cave pedal was a great idea, what do you guys think?

A few questions...

-Who here would be interested?

-What do you think would be a fair price?

-Would the circuit diagram need to give away all component details?

-How do you stop people from putting details of design on internet, once item purchased?

If you can think of anything else, please let me know, as any constructive comments are very welcome.

Cheers
Heath

Aussie Mark

Re: Make your own Cave pedal- Electronic Kits

Post by Aussie Mark » 19 Nov 2014, 09:43

I think that concept works for generic pedals where the design is nothing out of the ordinary. But releasing your own IP and ideas into the public domain would seem to be counter productive to your long term business.

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

CyberPunkie

Post by CyberPunkie » 19 Nov 2014, 09:45

If it was Lego or a mini-helicopter yeah, a DIY kit would be a good way to kill some spare time.

But honestly... why would I build a pedal.. when I can get one from eBay? At least you will need to have soldering skills and that automatically reduces your target market.

As for your questions...

-Who here would be interested?
Die hard DIY enthusiast.

-What do you think would be a fair price?
50% of an equivalent pedal on the market.

-Would the circuit diagram need to give away all component details?
No, but it's enough to give you clues for reverse engineering it.

-How do you stop people from putting details of design on internet, once item purchased?
You can't. Check this very same forum where someone has reverse engineered a commercial fx pedal and documented it at length (including pictures).
Yamaha BB424x / Hohner PJ Professional / Roland GR77 + WJones interface 4 Boss GR55 // Boss GT-10B / Boss GR55 / Roland GR77B + VB-99 / Ampeg SVT410HE / SVT15E

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 19 Nov 2014, 13:20

Aussie Mark wrote:I think that concept works for generic pedals where the design is nothing out of the ordinary. But releasing your own IP and ideas into the public domain would seem to be counter productive to your long term business.
Yeah. You're basically giving your ideas away.... unless of course that's your goal ie. wanting to retire, or just pass the baton on. If so there's better ways to do that.
Oz Bass Forum Moderator

Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

Rude_Mechanical

Post by Rude_Mechanical » 19 Nov 2014, 17:30

If the DIY scene has taught us anything, it's that using epoxy and false or mislabeled components achieves nothing in the long term other than to make sure that only the best reverse-engineers pick your pedal to pieces. If the pedal is desirable enough, that is.
"Turn everything to 11, dump instruments in front of the amp and manipulate pedals for 5 minutes" - me.

vin-tone

Post by vin-tone » 19 Nov 2014, 19:35

If you're building a circuit you'll invariably need to debug it when it goes fubar - which means you need to understand how the circuit works. I can't see how you could *not* give component and circuit details.

TBH I don't think this approach would do your business model any favours.
Warwick SS2, Fender 63AVRI, Eberhard Meinel Upright > Markbass & AI Coda

bobbybdazzler

Post by bobbybdazzler » 19 Nov 2014, 20:48

I got excited when I read the heading, I'd buy one. The only experience I've had with a soldering iron is installing pickups and preamps in old basses but the idea of putting one together myself is appealing. Unfortunately though what they say above is probably true.
Spector Euro5, Elmo ARB5, Eppi Thunderbird, Czech Bouble Bass
Mesa, Ampeg, Aguilar, Eden, TC Electronics, Orange, Genz Benz, GK, Trace, Line6, Golden Tone.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Glitter-G ... 1390275343

petersemple

Post by petersemple » 19 Nov 2014, 20:49

If you can put together a kit and sell it for a price that doesn't make it worthwhile to copy it, then you could be on to something. I guess you could have some advantages if you got components in bulk, circuit boards and similar can be cheaper to buy in bulk. You take a risk in investing in enough components to do that though. You need to be able to sell them all.
Basses: Wasburn Status 4, Fretless 4 made from parts, Fretted through neck 5 made by me
Amp: Eminar bass 400 into home made cab with JBL 15"

Cave Passive Pedals

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 22 Nov 2014, 10:09

bobbybdazzler wrote:I got excited when I read the heading, I'd buy one. The only experience I've had with a soldering iron is installing pickups and preamps in old basses but the idea of putting one together myself is appealing. Unfortunately though what they say above is probably true.
Please check your pm's

Cheers
Heath

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 04 Dec 2014, 20:47

I've just reached the point where I want to improve my soldering skills, I'd love to make a pedal, ANY pedal

Have you shelved the idea?
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

bobbybdazzler

Post by bobbybdazzler » 05 Dec 2014, 07:23

Hi BazzBass

I'm not sure if Heath is producing these kits commercially but I have one being produced and sent down at the moment. I will post pics, a review and maybe even a YouTube of the finished item.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=16383

Dave
Spector Euro5, Elmo ARB5, Eppi Thunderbird, Czech Bouble Bass
Mesa, Ampeg, Aguilar, Eden, TC Electronics, Orange, Genz Benz, GK, Trace, Line6, Golden Tone.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Glitter-G ... 1390275343

Cave Passive Pedals

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 10 Dec 2014, 11:23

vin-tone wrote:If you're building a circuit you'll invariably need to debug it when it goes fubar - which means you need to understand how the circuit works. I can't see how you could *not* give component and circuit details.

TBH I don't think this approach would do your business model any favours.
Hi Vin-Tone,

I've always offered a full lifetime warranty on all pedals I've produced, this would include any kits.

Any additional information, whether it be unit function or (in this case) kit construction, I'm always happy to talk via phone or email/private message to help out.

Thanks
Heath

Cave Passive Pedals

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 10 Dec 2014, 11:27

Rude_Mechanical wrote: ...using epoxy and false or mislabeled components...
That would be me!

Cave Passive Pedals

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 13 Dec 2014, 17:50

Have posted the first Kit Grunt off to Dave (aka Bobbybdazzler) yesterday; sent package via express post, tracking and signature required for pickup. I also added insurance of $100, just in case... The entire cost only came to $15! You hear bad things of the price of Aussie Post Office fees, but I thought that that was a pretty damn good bargain.

Dave, if you could let me know when it arrives, that would be great.

Dave will start a new thread with in depth photos of construction, as he progresses. Dave also hopes to create a YouTube video with some sort of high tech sound thingy, to overcome the problems most computers have in delivering the proper tones an effects pedal demo should have.

A big thankyou to Dave, for giving this a go.

This should be a very interesting experiment.
Cheers
Heath

Cave Passive Pedals

Post by Cave Passive Pedals » 20 Dec 2014, 11:27

Just in case anyone missed Dave's new thread, it's here... http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16454