Question about management fees

Threads to lend a hand to the working bass player
can you hear me

Question about management fees

Post by can you hear me » 26 Feb 2015, 14:28

Hi guys. The band that I'm playing with most often now is starting to get a bit more serious, as some of you would have seen from the band videos thread, we've just done our first clip and are starting to record and book gigs etc...

For the first time we are engaging the services of a manager, who will essentially be a booking and marketing agent for us. It is new for u, and new for her. She has offered to do it for free at first because she really likes the project, but the band agrees we want to start this with a bit more professionalism and pay from the outset.

We think that a percentage per gig booked is fairest, can anyone share what they feel a reasonable split is between a manager and the band? Would I be right in think 15% - 20% is ballpark or am I way off?

Thanks in advance ozbassers.

vin-tone

Re: Question about management fees

Post by vin-tone » 26 Feb 2015, 14:33

We treat the manager of our ska band like an equal member and gets an equal cut of the pay.
Warwick SS2, Fender 63AVRI, Eberhard Meinel Upright > Markbass & AI Coda

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 26 Feb 2015, 15:00

If they're only doing booking and marketing, then my experience with that arrangement is that 10%-15% is reasonable. If they're doing more than that, and actually "managing" the band in a broader sense - arranging rehearsal dates, checking that everyone has transport arranged on gig days, looking after all the financials for the band etc, then I would agree with Vin that an equal cut would be more than fair.

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender Bassman 500 and Neo 410

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

can you hear me

Post by can you hear me » 26 Feb 2015, 16:10

Thanks guys, that sounds very fair.

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 26 Feb 2015, 18:03

vin-tone wrote:We treat the manager of our ska band like an equal member and gets an equal cut of the pay.
How big is your band Vin?

9-piece band = 10% each.
6-piece = 15%
4-piece = 20%.
Oz Bass Forum Moderator

Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

vin-tone

Post by vin-tone » 26 Feb 2015, 21:52

Yeah it's petty big: 7-9 piece depending how many horns. And she earns her keep. Trying to book a gig is like hearding cats.
Warwick SS2, Fender 63AVRI, Eberhard Meinel Upright > Markbass & AI Coda

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 27 Feb 2015, 02:34

can I be blunt,as someone who has managed bands and played in bands?

If you are going to hire a manager,get an established one. A friend that has no previous experience won't be getting you any further than you would on your own. They won't have contacts in the media,-print and radio/TV and won't have venue inside conacts as good as an established manager would have. Some venues are closed shop too, meaning they only deal with one agency.However your friend may have great people skills and research skills that mean she may well turn into a good manager,only you can tell that.
having said all that,if they only manage, they usually get 10%. If they only book gigs 15%, if they do both 20% or equal cut of band's incoming after expenses.Booking agents get their cut before expenses I think.
Good luck, exciting innit?
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts