Tribute bands

Threads to lend a hand to the working bass player
BassLine

Re: Tribute bands

Post by BassLine » 18 Dec 2014, 23:00

pjm wrote:I'm not into dressing up, wigs and mimicking moves. I'm into being myself on stage which means not acting like something I'm not. I could play in something like an Elvis tribute because the band was generally anonymous in the background. Don't think I could play a character though.
Maybe you're just not a natural entertainer. Not a reflection on your musicianship, as its clearly a separate thing.

If it's done well, it's no less professional or no less entertaining than the next band.
Oz Bass Forum Moderator

Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

wilbur88

Post by wilbur88 » 19 Dec 2014, 00:08

Aussie Mark wrote:
tearalong wrote:I'm absolutely amazed at how big overseas a couple of Aussie tribute bands are. I'm thinking of the Pink floyd and Abba ones.
The Australian Pink Floyd tribute that plays mostly in Europe these days grossed $5.0m last year - only a little bit behind AC/DC.

http://www.brw.com.au/p/lists/top-enter ... xojhRPilTP

Edit: My numbers were out, so I went and Googled the source and have posted the correct numbers.
Gee the AC/DC earnings really surprise me. I suppose they have had issues of late and aren't touring, but I would have thought royalties would have had them much higher on the list.
'82 Steinberger L-2 : '78 Gibson Grabber G3 : '06 Gibson T-bird : '06 Gretsch G6072 Country Gentleman : '11 Fender 60th Anniversary P : '78 Guild B302F : '05 Warwick CS SS1 5

Fender TV

billybass

Post by billybass » 23 Dec 2014, 18:21

Hi Ozbassers,
I would like to share my experience with you here.
In my career I have played in numerous bands, cover bands, original bands, pop bands, rock bands, raggae bands, ska bands, funk bands, country bands, blues bands, jazz bands, concept/tribute bands.
My experience is always to play with the best musicians that would play with me.
I try to keep an open mind and enjoy the process.
I look at everything as an opportunity.
An opportunity: to learn new songs, to play in a style I may have not done in the past, to play with people I may not have played with before, to learn bass lines from someone who has had much success recording on someone's hit songs and not to ever forget what we are here for.
To entertain people and give them some joy from their every day routines.
Having said that, I would like to encourage you all to leave your prejudices at the door.
Some believe playing in a cover band is some sort of demeaning, low achievement, but the truth is that if we look for something positive in what we do, we will start to learn appreciation.
I hope you will never forget appreciation and always do your best.
On the other hand if you are negative and want to look at things negatively, you could say that the Chicago Symphony Orchestra is nothing more than a Mozart cover band.
Enjoy your music,
Cheers Billy

Swinging Beef

Post by Swinging Beef » 24 Dec 2014, 15:50

Nicely said Billy. Elvis, the Beatles, Van Halen.... All cover bands.

If you are a great writer... then write. If you are a great performer.... then perform. It is very rare to find someone whobis both.
German upright, K&K Pick pu's and Pre, Dtar Equinox Notch Filter, GB STM900, GB212 Neo, lots of other rubbish I dont need or use.

Paisley

Post by Paisley » 02 Jan 2015, 20:20

Being a fan of the Band you're parodying certainly helps; but even if not, it' still a good opportunity to learn a style of playing you wouldn't normally study. :yep

Another thing; I've done stints in stacks of Tribute Bands over the years (Elvis, Abba, U2, Patsy Cline, Alice Cooper, ect), and one thing was constant with all of them; if the guys were easy to get on with and could balance a serious work ethic with a sensible approach to role playing, it'll be an enjoyable outfit to work with. On the other hand, if you're dealing with egos, half-heartedness, or people who spend more time 'in character' than what they need to, it gets old pretty quick. :rolleyes
BASSES: Spector; Fender; Yamaha; G&L; Alembic; Ibanez; Jerry Jones; Danelectro; Rickenbacker; Ergo; ESP; Kraken; DeArmond.
AMPS: Acoustic; Ashdown; Ampeg; Eden; Epifani; Markbass

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 03 Jan 2015, 07:48

Paisley wrote:if the guys were easy to get on with and could balance a serious work ethic with a sensible approach to role playing, it'll be an enjoyable outfit to work with. On the other hand, if you're dealing with egos, half-heartedness, or people who spend more time 'in character' than what they need to, it gets old pretty quick. :rolleyes
This is true of being in any band - not just a tribute band :thumbup:

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender Bassman 500 and Neo 410

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 04 Jan 2015, 15:24

well said Billy !

I've always played originals and covers in my bands, maybe that's why we never made it, indecisive lol

To me I get the best of both worlds,I get to play covers we like and that hopefully entertain the crowd and still get to play up to a dozen originals. It probably guarantees a small crowd, compared to a tribute band, but I like playing some originals,even if they are crud. My bandmate is in a Stones tribute band and I get a buzz seeing him perform to a large crowd, funnily I'm not envious, just proud to play with him.
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

tde

Post by tde » 11 Jan 2015, 07:58

Great words from billy!

JMAN

Post by JMAN » 13 Jan 2015, 19:31

I did the jazz/popular music course at NMIT in 94/95. I was a jazz snob. Got ropped into a Kylie Minogue tribute band just after I completed that course and it was a big butt kicking for me musically. Transcribing tons of keyboard bass lines for the shows taught me many lessons. People laugh at the fact I was play Kylie tunes. But! It was heaps of fun. Played heaps of night clubs around Victoria and Tassie. Packed houses too.
Put aside the musicianship mentality or jazz only thing and go out there and entertain. We're in the entertainment industry don't forget. By having a professional attitude it'll bring other opportunities for you.

Sent from my 74 P bass

hamo

Post by hamo » 26 Feb 2015, 12:48

Also totally agree with everything Billy says :thumbup:

We all have different motivations, It depends on how much the particular motivation drives you to as to whether you are prepared to go beyond your comfort zone (musically and personally).

I am currently involved in a Tribute Band and it is hard work for everyone if you want to do it properly but the end result is definitely worth it! Also have friends who do a number of very successful Tribute bands - they all love it.

Outside the Tribute Bands I'd like to make a point that I'm sure we have all played the same songs in different bands with wildly differing experiences in a positive and negative. I believe that the positive outcome for everyone (including the punters) comes down to putting all you have into what you play - pretty simple really.

Anyway, that's my :2c:
Sadowsky MV4-HPJ | Lakland USA Duck Dunn #13 | Genz Benz STM900 | Berg AE212 | Eden XLT210 | Aguilar TLC Compressor | Aguilar Octamiser | Korg Pitchblack | MXR Bass Envelope Filter

bassmaniac69

Post by bassmaniac69 » 26 Feb 2015, 14:07

Hey Hamo, which band do you do in Brissie? I do the Radio Saigon show and the Event Cliff Rihcard/Shadow show!

rodl2005

Post by rodl2005 » 26 Feb 2015, 14:14

Another thing. ... playing other people's tunes us ALWAYS harder than playing your own songs. With your own material you are playing/singing what you can do. .. In your key. .. Your Own licks etc. ..
Playing covers you're playing what someone ELSE found comfortable. .. not necessarily what you find comfy.

I've done original- both my own and others original stuff- Jazz, country, funk you name it. .. And ppl who look down at those who do covers - I've found, are usually those that are jealous. Jealous that you've got a decent, often well paying gig.
I've seen these types at my gigs. .. Having a sly smirk and chuckle that they'd never 'be in a band that pandered to the seething masses' etc etc. ..
Then later, when I've asked them to fill in for an absent band member, they jump at the chance and then enjoy themselves like never before. Many saying that it was the most fun they'd had in years and that they're always keen to fill in again. ... Strange! :o:D:D:D

I, also, agree with Billy's excellent post above. Lose yr ego. . It AIN'T personal. .. Treat it ALL as a learning experience- even when playing with musos that are beginners - and apply ANY positive things you learn or have learnt. Enjoy. That's what music's about!
Mean & Surly

hamo

Post by hamo » 26 Feb 2015, 22:04

bassmaniac69 wrote:Hey Hamo, which band do you do in Brissie? I do the Radio Saigon show and the Event Cliff Rihcard/Shadow show!
I'm in an Angels tribute - finding it really tough to get momentum with gigs but playing at the old Boggo Rd gaol next week for a 21st so that'll be cool.
What does the Radio Saigon show do?

Craig
Sadowsky MV4-HPJ | Lakland USA Duck Dunn #13 | Genz Benz STM900 | Berg AE212 | Eden XLT210 | Aguilar TLC Compressor | Aguilar Octamiser | Korg Pitchblack | MXR Bass Envelope Filter

tearalong

Post by tearalong » 27 Feb 2015, 08:51

Another thing. ... playing other people's tunes us ALWAYS harder than playing your own songs. With your own material you are playing/singing what you can do. .. In your key. .. Your Own licks etc. ..
Playing covers you're playing what someone ELSE found comfortable. .. not necessarily what you find comfy.
True but just because you are in an originals band doesn't mean it's your song. Especially if you have not been in that band since its inception.
On the other hand, a tribute band does get easier than general covers because the more songs you do the more you get a feel for that particular bassist's style.
MTD Heir 4 Lefty with Nordstrand and Bartolini pickups,Genz Benz Shuttlemax or Magellan 800 , Zoom B3 and a Roland GR-55 into Schroeder or Bergantino cabs

rodl2005

Post by rodl2005 » 27 Feb 2015, 10:13

True and true. I was thinking more from when I wrote all the songs and then the rest of the orig band helped. .. so they ended up writing most of their own parts. ... Therefore-playing what suited them to fit the song.
And yes. .... tribute band is pretty different to a 'regular' covers band where yr covering a heap of different stuff.
Mean & Surly