Advice for US sellers selling to Aus buyers

Threads to lend a hand to the working bass player
BassLine

Advice for US sellers selling to Aus buyers

Post by BassLine » 09 Nov 2013, 14:07

Following up this thread on TalkBass....
http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1004346

A resource for US sellers on selling to Aus Buyers.

Please list any positive or negative experiences you've had with the middle men only in shipping US -> Aus.
eg. Shipitto, PayPal, DHL, UPS, USPS, Fedex etc.

Include costs, weight/size restrictions, etc., and how you solved any problems.

PS. Please keep idle discussion to a minimum, thanks. :)
Oz Bass Forum Moderator

Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

Nigel

Re: Advice for US sellers selling to Aus buyers

Post by Nigel » 09 Nov 2013, 14:21

DHL - expensive
USPS - cheap and have never lost a thing - over 100 packages over last 5 years - tracking not always reliable
shipito - brilliant, effecient, cost effective, but you are adding an extra step into the process
Canada - never have anything shipped from there, it was very expensive.
talkbass - being a paid up member of the forum or even a gold supporting member and having a history of buying stuff makes it a quicker process and people are more likely to sell and ship to Australia. Always be polite and up front offer to pay all shipping and customs.
Mailloux Custom "Lucky 13", EA Doubler, Barefaced Midget 110, Mojo-Sonic 1x10.

wilbur88

Post by wilbur88 » 09 Nov 2013, 16:41

DHL - expensive -ditto! Got done there once.
shipitto - ditto. Brilliant service.
I've only bought one bass off TB earlier this year, and the seller was fine once I explained clearly what was I was trying to do.
I just picked up a Guild B302F off eBay and the buyer initially said he wouldn't sell to me. I took the rick, won the bid and he softened pretty quickly and now I;m waiting for it to get to shipitto.
I've just posted on the TB thread with my thoughts.
'82 Steinberger L-2 : '78 Gibson Grabber G3 : '06 Gibson T-bird : '06 Gretsch G6072 Country Gentleman : '11 Fender 60th Anniversary P : '78 Guild B302F : '05 Warwick CS SS1 5

Fender TV

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 11 Nov 2013, 09:05

I've shipped 4 basses from the US using Shipito, and one from the UK using Alfasent - all good. With Shipito, it's worth paying the extra couple of bucks for them to open the package at their end and take photos for you - very useful in case there are any issues (but I haven't had any issues yet - touch wood).

The shipping rates that Shipito are able to get on large items (eg. bass in a hard case) are extraordinary compared to what the average person can obtain as a one-off customer of any of the major courier companies. Obviously Shipito are a very large commercial customer and therefore get favourable shipping prices. Example, I've been quoted $450-$500 to ship a bass in a case using DHL/Fedex/TNT/UPS, whereas for the same package Shipito can do it for $200-$250.

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender Bassman 500 and Neo 410

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 11 Nov 2013, 09:49

I received one bass via FedEx... very expensive, but no issues...
I have received HEAPS of stuff USPS... not the fastest, but it always arrives...not always (almost never) the cheapest.

I have never used Shipito, so I can't comment.
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

ebulb

Post by ebulb » 11 Nov 2013, 10:15

im just discovering this... With shipito, does this mean i can buy anything from any manufacturer i like on sites like guitar center or sweetwater and get it sent via shipito address and circumvent all manufacturers international selling restrictions ? or is there some loophole im missing ?

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 11 Nov 2013, 10:24

ebulb wrote:im just discovering this... With shipito, does this mean i can buy anything from any manufacturer i like on sites like guitar center or sweetwater and get it sent via shipito address and circumvent all manufacturers international selling restrictions ? or is there some loophole im missing ?
In theory yes, but it depends on whether the seller requires a US billing address - some won't allow you to purchase using a non-US credit card, others require your billing address to match your shipping address. If they accept Paypal you'll be fine.

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 11 Nov 2013, 10:58

See what you've done Owen - curse you for inviting me to post in that thread at TalkBass!

ebulb

Post by ebulb » 11 Nov 2013, 11:17

Aussie Mark wrote: In theory yes, but it depends on whether the seller requires a US billing address - some won't allow you to purchase using a non-US credit card, others require your billing address to match your shipping address. If they accept Paypal you'll be fine.
Thanks.. have you used shipito with any of the major online stores in USA for purchases ? places like sweetwater, guitar center, music123, zzounds etc ? I just checked sweetwater and it looks like they accept paypal so maybe that will work ?
Last edited by ebulb on 11 Nov 2013, 11:31, edited 2 times in total.

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 11 Nov 2013, 11:26

ebulb wrote:Thanks.. have you used shipito with any of the major online stores in USA for purchases ? places like sweetwater, guitar center, music123, zzounds etc ? I just checked sweetwater and it looks like they accept paypal so maybe that will work ?
Not yet. Only private sellers, Amazon, and a couple of small music stores so far.

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 11 Nov 2013, 11:30

Aussie Mark wrote:
ebulb wrote:im just discovering this... With shipito, does this mean i can buy anything from any manufacturer i like on sites like guitar center or sweetwater and get it sent via shipito address and circumvent all manufacturers international selling restrictions ? or is there some loophole im missing ?
In theory yes, but it depends on whether the seller requires a US billing address - some won't allow you to purchase using a non-US credit card, others require your billing address to match your shipping address. If they accept Paypal you'll be fine.
I still have a US bank account :p Dual-citizenship has its advantages.
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

ebulb

Post by ebulb » 11 Nov 2013, 11:32

i noticed on shipito website it says the buyer has to fill out the customs form.. so what if someone buys something for $1200, whats stopping them from putting down $999 as the price and avoiding australias customs tax ? im curious how customs could police this type of thing ? i cant see them looking at the declared price of each package and then going online and looking for indications it is accurate.. They wouldnt have the time/resouces to do that for every item that comes through would they ? If that scenario gained momentum my guess is shipito type services may not last or we may soon be paying tax in Australia on imports under $1000..

Wwolof

Post by Wwolof » 11 Nov 2013, 11:43

The question is whether you are willing to eat the difference between what you paid and the insured value if the item is damaged, lost in transit, etc.

ebulb

Post by ebulb » 11 Nov 2013, 12:09

most of the things i would use this for are under $1000 anyway.. more than anything i am curious about the viability of shipito services longer term.. i dont think government cares too much if Fender put international shipping restrictions and then consumers use shipito to get around that stuff but if people are easily scamming customs duties id say that would be a catalyst for laws changing and im not sure i can see how that wont happen if the buyer fills out the customs form..

KirBass

Post by KirBass » 11 Nov 2013, 12:35

The question really is, are you willing to lie on your customs declaration form? Customs do random audits to verify claims. I imported a bass and had to evidence the sale price via quotes, emails, receipts etc before they released it. Wasn't a worry because I told the truth on the form - but its a numbers game I'm sure some people are willing to risk.