How do you go from being a bass teacher to a session muso?

Threads to lend a hand to the working bass player
Dim 2

How do you go from being a bass teacher to a session muso?

Post by Dim 2 » 07 Oct 2011, 11:34

My name is Finn, I am a 22 tear old guitar teacher in Sydney who wants to get out there as a session musician.
I have the most experience playing metal and I would love to start getting paid for it. I have been told by a few people that I need a 3 track show reel to hand about to try land some session work, but that's about all I know. If anyone could give me any clarification on how to get my foot in the door or maybe even a critique of my show reel that would be much appreciated. :help

hairyampdroolin

Re: How do you go from being a bass teacher to a session mus

Post by hairyampdroolin » 07 Oct 2011, 12:56

I have no idea about the session music stuff sorry, but I would think that it would be mostly for pop songs and the like that session musicians would be called in, perhaps songs in that style would be more appropriate for landing work, or at least songs showcasing your versatility as a musician.
Rebop 5, SR505, Genz Benz and a penchant for ridiculously named things.

"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead."
— Charles Bukowski

jezzamac

Post by jezzamac » 07 Oct 2011, 14:33

I'd also imagine that it would be an idea to go door knocking on all the studios you can locate and ask them what opportunities they have and what they would require. I imagine that a lot of session work would relate to advertising so try to contact those studios. Good luck, it seems a hard road to follow. How's your sight reading? BTW There is an article in the recent Australian Guitar Magazine with a guy who does session work.
Fender '78 Precision, Squier CV Jazz, Maton JBIV, Ibanez SR405, G&L Tribute SB2, Ashbory and Markbass CMD121P, Fender Rumble V# 12" cab, GK 400RB, No-name 4x10 cab
funKtus, Samurai Trash, Exploding Happiness, Night Radio (no longer).

Fizx

Post by Fizx » 07 Oct 2011, 17:30

From what I've heard, session work is very hard to get. Mainly because there's only a handful of guys and they get repeat business all the time.

Your sight reading will need to be very good and your ear too. Often you will be given a jingle played through once and you have to make a bassline up and nail it in one take.

I kind of doubt there is much work for a session musician only playing metal...

Good luck to you though, killer bass tone by the way :)
-Caleb

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 07 Oct 2011, 18:28

Maybe look at recording about 10 clips of various styles, to show how diverse you are as a player. Also look into smaller studios and offer to do some free work = you'll get free demos for yourself, plus it may lead to paid work through referrals. Just get as much studio time as you can, and meet loads of people (network).

I'd get calls being the only fretless player that people knew.
Oz Bass Forum Moderator

Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

Dim 2

Post by Dim 2 » 08 Oct 2011, 13:01

Thanks heaps for the pointers. I will broaden my show reel to fit other generas by trying to get out there. I must also work on my sight reading. I can read music but not in time with the music. From the bits and pieces
I have done in the studio for bands, it has not been necessary to sight read. To my understanding that would be more for sound to picture or something. If I am talking nonsence please correct me...

stoneboy26

Post by stoneboy26 » 08 Oct 2011, 19:48

Network, network, network!!!

It goes for fill-in gigs, band call ups, etc. Every gig I have ever landed has been on networking/word of mouth as opposed to go in and audition. My current band was an audition of sorts, but really more got an in from a guitarist friend, chatted to the guy running the band, came for a jam to make sure the fit was there, and BANG! These guys all work with others, and I know that it will lead to other opportunities.

So get out there and play, go see other people play. Don't just spend it sitting in your bedroom!!
-Dan-
Sandberg Basses: VM5/VS4|Eden WT800|Eden D210XST x2|Mono Cases & Straps|Loads of FX

Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/danstonebass
Personal: http://www.facebook.com/destone

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 10 Oct 2011, 10:24

stoneboy26 wrote:Network, network, network!!!
This

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Ibanez
Rig: Fender Bassman 500 and Neo 410

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

pdub

Re: How do you go from being a bass teacher to a session muso?

Post by pdub » 11 Jun 2019, 13:10

I get all my session work from gigging or word of mouth.You have to be versatile and play almost any style of music,not just metal.You also have to have good technique and gear and your playing has to complement the songs.I'd suggest getting a showreel of all different styles of music,not just metal,as most metal bands won't have the budget to afford you.Networking is also key and knowing the right producer is vital.Happy hunting :)

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 11 Jun 2019, 16:00

8 year Zombie revival, good 1st post.

Don't think he is around here anymore, must be too busy with session work I hope hehe

Welcome to OzBass mate :)
Loud things: Trace Elliot Elf and 10" cabs ,Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, Hofner B Bass, SX J, Yamaha DTX400 drum kit
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

Wrenn

Post by Wrenn » 11 Jun 2019, 16:56

Pick me! Pick me! :)
Band: PLATFORM http://www.facebook.com/PlatformBandSydney
Bass: LEJ 5/24, MTD Kingston KZ 5-String Fretless

drbass

Post by drbass » 11 Jun 2019, 19:41

BazzBass wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 16:00

Don't think he is around here anymore, must be too busy with session work I hope hehe

Finn is actually gigging around Melbourne and has been teaching some. He convinced me that my third build (Merlin "Kermit" 6 string multi scale) is better than just a prototype (it was my third build) and bought it off me. You can check out what he's doing here:

Only put up a few days ago.

Regards,
Michael
- Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 11 Jun 2019, 19:43

synchronicity
Loud things: Trace Elliot Elf and 10" cabs ,Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, Hofner B Bass, SX J, Yamaha DTX400 drum kit
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

mfdeerhunter

Post by mfdeerhunter » 14 Jun 2019, 19:15

drbass wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 19:41
BazzBass wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 16:00

Finn is actually gigging around Melbourne and has been teaching some. He convinced me that my third build (Merlin "Kermit" 6 string multi scale) is better than just a prototype (it was my third build) and bought it off me. You can check out what he's doing here:

Only put up a few days ago.

Regards,
Michael
Well, that's a pretty great ending to that story.
Anyway, just would like to chime in for anyone who might be in the same boat as Finn that yes, networking is a must.

My friend was the drummer of a band that managed to land a guitarist after being introduced through a mutual friend and they bonded during Camp Cope's set on Laneway.
Doing some web development stuff on the side