Anywhere I should see in Singapore?

Threads to lend a hand to the working bass player
petersemple

Anywhere I should see in Singapore?

Post by petersemple » 09 Dec 2018, 20:21

Will be in Singapore for a few days in a few weeks. Is there anywhere I should look at for gear? Not probably looking at basses, but maybe could look at pedals. My particular bent at the moment is buying and fixing broken pedals etc but I'm not sure I'd find anywhere selling heaps of them :-). Doesn't have to be bass specific either - my son plays guitar and would look around if there is anything worth looking at that we wouldn't see in Aust.
Basses: Wasburn Status 4, Fretless 4 made from parts, Fretted through neck 5 made by me
Amp: Eminar bass 400 into home made cab with JBL 15"

Boopbohead

Re: Anywhere I should see in Singapore?

Post by Boopbohead » 09 Dec 2018, 22:11

At the airport, take a good look at the 3 storey shrine devoted to whiskey. Mighty impressive.
Kingy

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 10 Dec 2018, 10:49

Boopbohead wrote:
09 Dec 2018, 22:11
At the airport, take a good look at the 3 storey shrine devoted to whiskey. Mighty impressive.
at last, a religion for us atheists , hic :drinkingbuddies:
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

whatthekoon

Post by whatthekoon » 10 Dec 2018, 11:53

I preface this by saying that I'm from Singapore and I much prefer the music retail industry here in Melbourne. However, don't let me stop you from exploring. There's a few places that you can visit in Singapore for music related stuff:

1) Peninsula Plaza: Head to the basement level and you'll see lots of little stores, each with their own niche area.

2) Bras Basa Complex: There are two main stores here that carry the big brands (Fender, Ibanez etc.). They are Swee Lee music and Ren Kin Sports (Not sure of the spelling of this one ... and ignore the Sports bit, they do sell music gear). There are probably a few smaller stores in the complex so just have a walk around.

3) Plaza Singapura: At the top level is where Yamaha music is. They've focused more on the music school side of things and the music store has gone downhill since the 2000s. For example, you used to be able to get Warwick and Status basses at the Yamaha store but not anymore. Maybe still worth visiting?

All three of these places are in the city and easily accessible by train/walking.

There is a bass specific web store. I believe that the guy that runs it works from home and you can make an appointment to try stuff out.
http://www.bassfreq.com.sg/

Finally, the used market is pretty good. Head to the forum section of www.soft.com.sg
There is a bass section and occasionally there's some nice stuff that comes up.

You can haggle for big ticket items like amps and instruments ... so walk away if a store is not willing to do a deal for you.

PM me if you need any other info (music related or otherwise)

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 10 Dec 2018, 12:22

BazzBass wrote:
10 Dec 2018, 10:49
Boopbohead wrote:
09 Dec 2018, 22:11
at last, a religion for us atheists , hic :drinkingbuddies:
If you believe in whiskey, then you cannot be an atheist.
Because, whiskey is proof that God exists.
God created whiskey to keep the Irish from taking over the world. :D
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

rev matt

Post by rev matt » 10 Dec 2018, 12:55

Singaporeans?
Having fun is half the fun- Warwick Corvette $$ 4- Cort acoustic 4 - no name ebay special 5 (now fretless), Kala spruce fretless Ubass, Washburn M-3SWS mandolin , Ashbory and a 2001 LTD edition Warwick Thumb Fretless 4.

harmonyriver

Post by harmonyriver » 10 Dec 2018, 23:01

Check out Stompbox.sg in Geylang - they have a large range of pedal boxes.

In addition to the above places mentioned(Bras Basah and Penninsula) my advice is to give Plaza Singapura Yamaha Music Plaza a miss if u have limited time - unless u want to have a close-up gawk at the Yamaha TRBJP and BBNE models they have hanging up on display cabinets (accurate as of early this year when I visited Singapore).

Bassfreq has a showroom but only by appt - mainly high end gear like MTD and F basses etc... The owner has a lot of YouTube videos featuring basses they sell. Their website says: "Showroom: 180 Paya Lebar Road, #10-05 Yi Guang Building, Singapore 409032
Opening Hours: By Appointment. Feel free to contact us for any enquiries that you may have. Meeting another fellow bassfreq is always exciting for usc..."
1993 Ibanez SD1205PD EMG40DC/BTC,
2006 30th Ann Stingray,
2006 60th Ann MIM P-Bass Blizzard Pearl,
Eden Nemesis NC115

"Guitar is for the head, drums are for the chest, but bass gets you in the groin."
- Suzi Quatro

petersemple

Post by petersemple » 22 Dec 2018, 19:57

Thanks all. Some ideas. I have had a bit of a look at prices and like whatthekoon suggested there is nothing outstanding that you could not find in Oz - no stunning bargains. I therefore don't think I'll be going out of my way to look at stuff, but I might take a look if I happen to be passing.
Basses: Wasburn Status 4, Fretless 4 made from parts, Fretted through neck 5 made by me

petersemple

Post by petersemple » 09 Jan 2019, 17:42

Well, we ended up staying pretty close to Peninsula Plaza, and we ended up with a few hours to kill on the day we left, so we wandered in that direction. My son has never really been in an Australian music shop yet, so it was fun watching his jaw drop all over the place :-). Worth it just for that. Didn't buy much - he bought a few picks with patterns on that we hadn't seen in Oz, just as a bit of a souvenir. Mostly it was just a cool way to kill a few hours that needed killing. Thanks all.