Repair and Service People

Threads to lend a hand to the working bass player
Aussie Mark

Re: Repair and Service People

Post by Aussie Mark » 17 Nov 2010, 08:55

Pete, I heard back from Matt and I'm dropping the bass into him at lunch time today. A guy on another forum who had the exact same issue with his reissue plexi guitar said it turned out to be a couple of cold solder joints on the tone pot, so I'll mention that to Matt as well.

I know it's not a grounding issue, because the hum is the same regardless of whether I am touching the strings/bridge or not. The shielding looks pretty good, and guys at TB who own one of these basses say they are whisper quiet.

The reissues are made by Fujigen Gakki, who make Fender Japan, Greco and Ibanez, and the pickups are all made by Kent Armstrong, so I don't think the hum is an inherent design flaw. Hopefully a check of the joints by Matt and some resoldering will do the trick.

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender Bassman 500 and Neo 410

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 17 Nov 2010, 09:07

I'm actually dropping a bass off to him on Sat for some Mods to my spare Stingray. I’m adding a Nordstrand P-bass pickup to it, a pickup blend knob, a Bartolini input buffer so I can equalize the output from the 2 very different pickups, and a series/parallel switch. So I’ll then have a Stingray, a P-bass, and a Jazz bass all on one instrument – a greatest hits of Leo Fender designs, and VERY versatile. I’ll never need another bass ever again. Can’t wait! Matt and I have already discussed the logistics and technicalities and he's been brilliant!
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 17 Nov 2010, 09:19

Petebass wrote:So I’ll then have a Stingray, a P-bass, and a Jazz bass all on one instrument – a greatest hits of Leo Fender designs, and VERY versatile.
It's been done already, LOL !!!

http://www.spearguitar.com/product/pro_ ... extool.asp

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 17 Nov 2010, 11:21

Nah those Fender based attempts always suck on the MM tone. That's why I used a Stingray as a starting point. That's the one I'll use most anyway............
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 26 Nov 2010, 14:37

I'd like to add some first hand experience of the level of customer service that Matt from Bass People provides. I took my Dan Armstrong lucite bass to him for diagnosis and fixing a nasty hum. Matt had never seen one of these basses in the flesh before, but set about researching the pickup and electronics design, so he could understand what he was working with. Within one week Matt had phoned me twice to discuss what he'd found and his proposed solution, and completed the agreed modifications. The clincher is that Matt said he won't charge me a cent until I've had a chance to gig the bass again to ensure that the hum issues has been rectified. Wow.

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 27 Nov 2010, 15:56

Aussie Mark wrote:I'd like to add some first hand experience of the level of customer service that Matt from Bass People provides. I took my Dan Armstrong lucite bass to him for diagnosis and fixing a nasty hum. Matt had never seen one of these basses in the flesh before, but set about researching the pickup and electronics design, so he could understand what he was working with. Within one week Matt had phoned me twice to discuss what he'd found and his proposed solution, and completed the agreed modifications. The clincher is that Matt said he won't charge me a cent until I've had a chance to gig the bass again to ensure that the hum issues has been rectified. Wow.
Massive thumbs up! :thumbup:

TayloredWarez

Post by TayloredWarez » 14 Jan 2011, 10:19

thanx for the kind words Sparky.
sparkyness wrote:Happy to recommend Aaron Taylor as mentioned by Dan above for those looking for electronics work in/around Melbourne.

Aaron's done a couple of jobs for me recently and he's able to handle repairs/mods to amps, pedals, rack gear, mixers, onboard electronics, etc. He's fixed a couple of trashed pedals for me and also just sorted out my old Tascam 8 track. Good work, quick turnaround and very fair pricing. A good guy as well, which is always a bonus!

His workshop is at his house in Carrum Downs but you can also arrange to deliver stuff to him in at his work in East Bentleigh. He also does the odd remote job too (e.g. large mixing consoles) if the situation merits it. There's examples of his work on his website - http://www.tayloredwarez.com.au

Contact details:
Aaron Taylor
email: aaron@tayloredwarez.com.au
ph: 0412 558 996
Aaron
Taylored Warez
Electronic repairs to almost anything.
http://www.tayloredwarez.com.au

Gobi

Post by Gobi » 19 Aug 2016, 13:47

Vito Portolesi has moved from Annandale(Sydney)
He's now at Earth Audio 39 Mitchell rd Alexandria opposite Studio 301
0409 651636
He fixes amps
He's good with Valve amps
I like to play the Bass

Peter holloway

Post by Peter holloway » 06 Nov 2018, 22:16

Stay away from Tim Evans just had the worst experience ever from a service person in Tim. If you need details just ask. I’d hate anyone else to go through what I did.

Slapfest62

Post by Slapfest62 » 16 Nov 2018, 23:01

Newcastle/Hunter area

Be very careful if its a big job,
Some very very bad work being paid for unknowingly.