*The Stolen Gear Thread*

Feedback from sales, stolen goods, dodgy sellers etc...
NotTheFish

Re: *The Stolen Gear Thread*

Post by NotTheFish » 11 Nov 2009, 15:46

I can vouch for the Police being hopeless when it comes to retrieving stolen gear. Long story as short possible - back in 1993 whilst at work I had my place robbed badly. About 8 grand worth of musical instruments, amps and effects plus many household bits and jewelry etc where robbed. The good news was I had an Alembic Series 1 at the time being refretted by Piers Crocker so it was safe :thumbup: We called the local police who took hours to arrive and did virtually nothing when they did. About a month later I was at Petes Musicians Market in Newtown and told one of the guys behind the desk about my plight. He said most of the bits of gear I described could be found at Crown Street hock shop in Sydney. He had actually purchased my SM57 mic. So I raced down to this hock shop and it was like walking into my old studio. My stuff was everywhere. So I went down to Strawberry Hills cop shop and persuaded a couple of officers to come and check it out. They spent most of the time with the owner buying a used CD walkman. They told him to put my stuff out the back. In the end the insurance company got back a cheapo electric and a bass cab back from them. That is all bad but what is worse is that feeling everyday when you return home and hope you still have your gear. My heart stops when I open the front door and something is out of place. Just a shoe in the hallway etc. Then you realise everything is ok and settle down. We got robbed 2 more times after that.. In the end we moved.. I like to believe in Karma getting these creeps.

subsea

Post by subsea » 11 Nov 2009, 16:32

Just a word on insurance guys , just because you have home contents means squat . Every time I buy something ( bass / amp etc) I photograph it + serial numbers the receipt etc . I then photograph it in the studio or with me playing it , print the photo out , date it sign it get the wife to counter sign , stick it in the safe . Then if it’s a large $$$ item I’ll ring our insurance company and tell them what it is and can they included this on the specific items list . This they will do this quite happily .
I had a guitar stolen out of the car about 4 years ago ( insured for this) and after the usual police debacle , contacted the insurer , got the usual rigmarole , said “ cool , what’s your email” , sent the JPEGs etc and a copy of the specific items list , police report , cost of replacement quote etc , 4 days later , got a call “ How would you like your money , cheque or transfer “ got the New price as well .

Point is , these buggers will take every opportunity to under pay or not pay , so keep very detailed records , make sure your insurance is for NEW replacement cost or if agreed value , make sure you keep it up to date , I’ve seen many mates get shafted on agreed value ‘cause they did the policy 15 yrs ago .
Coconuts are people too !
mailloux DCS5 , belmam custom 4 , tony bell custom 4 , other belmans , maton jb4 , danelectro long horn , others...
markbass lm2 marco edition , g&k rb400m2 , aguilar db112 , gk sb410
+ other amps and cabs

reens

Ellaways bust-in

Post by reens » 05 Jan 2010, 11:22

fyi this came in from Ellaways in Brisbane... bad way to start their year.
reens

Help Us To Recover From Our New Year's Break!

Well 2010 has started with a bang, a crash and we’re all feeling a little bit shattered – and no, we didn’t overdo it on the holidays. On New Year's Day, our Underwood store was broken into and several items were stolen.

We’re appealing to all our friends to pass this message on to fellow musicians and Facebook followers in the hope of recovering the stolen equipment. We’ve lost several prestige Ibanez guitars (normally everyone wants to get their hands on these, but usually by fair means), a Yamaha Pacifica, a Fender 60w bass amp and a small amount of peace of mind.

All the instruments have their serial numbers recorded and are therefore traceable, so if they are resold or hocked, it could lead to trouble for the purchaser. We’ve uploaded photos and serial numbers onto Facebook to help you to identify them visually. You can see them here http://bit.ly/8752kU

If you hear of, or see anyone selling, hocking or boasting about a bunch of Ibanez guitars, drop us a line at graham.lawless@ellaways.com.au or call 07 3359 8266. If you want to be anonymous, you can even post us a message here http://www.ellaways.com.au/locations.php?loc=contact

LimeB

Post by LimeB » 31 Jan 2010, 04:38

Afriad it doesn't lead to trouble for the purchaser, if they didn't know about it. The item remains theirs.
I once talked to a tradie who had all of his tools swiped from hids car outside a job, and when he found them himself at a local market, the person had bought them off of someone else, so he had no right to them, other than to buy them back if he could.

Marshbass

Post by Marshbass » 07 Feb 2010, 10:36

On Friday night one of my band members had all of his Band gear stolen out of his locked car which was in a locked garage! These items were stolen from North Adelaide. We had just played a gig at The Exeter on Rundle Street, Adelaide. The stolen items are as follows:

1x Gibson Les paul Guitar (mahogany red)
1x Laney guitar amp 1x12 inch speakers
1x Marshall JCM900 head
1x LYT pedal board and bag with the following pedals: Boss Giga-delay DD-20, Boss chromatic tuner, Boss BF-2 Flanger, T-Rex Dr Swamp Distortion Pedal, Electro-harmonix POG2, Morley Power Wah, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff.

In the bag there were also heaps of leads, an ebow and guitar straps.

We've started a Facebook event with details http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=291675029028

Please, if anyone hears about this items for sale, please inform me straight away!

jezzamac

Post by jezzamac » 08 Feb 2010, 16:10

LimeB wrote:Afriad it doesn't lead to trouble for the purchaser, if they didn't know about it. The item remains theirs.
I once talked to a tradie who had all of his tools swiped from hids car outside a job, and when he found them himself at a local market, the person had bought them off of someone else, so he had no right to them, other than to buy them back if he could.
This all depends on whether the purchaser bought it through a registered second hand dealer"as there is legislation to protect purchaseers in good faith from dealers. Otherwise, it is a case of "nemo dat quod non habet": roughly translated as "you cannot give what you do not own". On the other hand, it still comes down to proof.
Fender '78 Precision, Squier CV Jazz, Maton JBIV, Ibanez SR405, G&L Tribute SB2, Ashbory and Markbass CMD121P, Fender Rumble V# 12" cab, GK 400RB, No-name 4x10 cab
funKtus, Samurai Trash, Exploding Happiness, Night Radio (no longer).

Simo98

Post by Simo98 » 12 Feb 2010, 11:42

LimeB wrote:Afriad it doesn't lead to trouble for the purchaser, if they didn't know about it. The item remains theirs.
Normally it is the purchaser who loses out, if you unknowingly buy a stolen item from a pawn shop and it gets traced, chances are you won't be getting your money back.

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 18 Feb 2010, 16:10

jezzamac wrote:
This all depends on whether the purchaser bought it through a registered second hand dealer"as there is legislation to protect purchaseers in good faith from dealers. Otherwise, it is a case of "nemo dat quod non habet": roughly translated as "you cannot give what you do not own". On the other hand, it still comes down to proof.
In many cases, "Ego tutela non si mulier est pinguis quod turpis" can also come into play...

which roughly translated says "I don't care if the woman IS fat and ugly" :rolf:
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

jezzamac

Post by jezzamac » 18 Feb 2010, 17:46

I see! A bit of "quid pro quo".
Fender '78 Precision, Squier CV Jazz, Maton JBIV, Ibanez SR405, G&L Tribute SB2, Ashbory and Markbass CMD121P, Fender Rumble V# 12" cab, GK 400RB, No-name 4x10 cab
funKtus, Samurai Trash, Exploding Happiness, Night Radio (no longer).

Rude_Mechanical

Post by Rude_Mechanical » 18 Feb 2010, 17:58

Yes... squid pro-row...

</Austin.Powers>
"Turn everything to 11, dump instruments in front of the amp and manipulate pedals for 5 minutes" - me.

MarkyMarc

Post by MarkyMarc » 02 Apr 2010, 16:41

Gruntollio Basswall wrote:Guys,

I know this won't help the guys that have had stuff stolen already but these are worth checking out:

http://www.datadotdna.com/australia/dtal_technology.htm

You can purchase a DIY datadot kit for about $100 which allows you to spray microscopic identifyers on your gear. This can be readily identified should your gear end up on a hock shop.

There's no absolute guarantees with it, but should some junkie idiot steal your amp or bass and be stupid enough to try and flog it as cash coverters, the liklihood is that he'll most likley receive handcuffs instead of cash. You've got a better chance of seeing your gear again with these than without. Some of us have spent small fortunes on our gear so $100 to give you a little extra piece of mind is worth it for me anyway...
Here here!!! Thanks for that, Gruntollio!! :thumbup:

My wife had DD-Dna applied to her car last year, never thought for our intended application here, fantastic thought!!! Am getting onto it :yep

Sadowsky Metro Hybrid P/J 4 | Boss ME-6B | Warwick Sweet 15 combo

"If the sh!t fits, wear it" - Donald "Duck" Dunn

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 25 Jul 2010, 18:17

subsea wrote:Just a word on insurance guys , just because you have home contents means squat . Every time I buy something ( bass / amp etc) I photograph it + serial numbers the receipt etc . I then photograph it in the studio or with me playing it , print the photo out , date it sign it get the wife to counter sign , stick it in the safe . Then if it’s a large $$$ item I’ll ring our insurance company and tell them what it is and can they included this on the specific items list . This they will do this quite happily .
I had a guitar stolen out of the car about 4 years ago ( insured for this) and after the usual police debacle , contacted the insurer , got the usual rigmarole , said “ cool , what’s your email” , sent the JPEGs etc and a copy of the specific items list , police report , cost of replacement quote etc , 4 days later , got a call “ How would you like your money , cheque or transfer “ got the New price as well .

Point is , these buggers will take every opportunity to under pay or not pay , so keep very detailed records , make sure your insurance is for NEW replacement cost or if agreed value , make sure you keep it up to date , I’ve seen many mates get shafted on agreed value ‘cause they did the policy 15 yrs ago .
Great advice.... Can anyone offer any more help/experience eg what features are important insuring for Home Contents, Car Contents, Theft/Damage at venues; or which Insurance companies are best.

On a side note, a friend had to buy back stolen gear from a Pawn Broker and the singer from my old band wrote a song about it called "Reduced To Clear" (he found his photo still in its photo-frame in the 'Reduced to Clear' bin) from the album "A Mark On The Pane" (fingerprints on the glass window).
Oz Bass Forum Moderator

Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 06 Dec 2010, 06:04

A man I know had an old Ibanez headless bass stolen from his church here in Gladstone, QLD... keep an eye out for it, please... it has a lot of sentimental value to the owner... oh, it's black in colour
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

Pantsman

Post by Pantsman » 06 Dec 2010, 08:49

Simo98 wrote:
Normally it is the purchaser who loses out, if you unknowingly buy a stolen item from a pawn shop and it gets traced, chances are you won't be getting your money back.
Wrong! you will definately get your money back, from a Cash Converters store at least. But as Subsea mentioned earlier, recorded the make, model, serial number and take a photo of everything you own otherwise you most likely wont get you stuff back.

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 06 Dec 2010, 08:55

Pantsman wrote:
Simo98 wrote:
Wrong! you will definately get your money back, from a Cash Converters store at least. But as Subsea mentioned earlier, recorded the make, model, serial number and take a photo of everything you own otherwise you most likely wont get you stuff back.
Some cheap basses, and parts basses don't have SN's on them...no worries, stamp your own on them (do it on the body and again on the neck, inside the neck pocket...or inside a trussrod cover, is another good spot and control cavities... or under a bridge (the more, the better)...

The more info, pics, numbers, sales receipts, etc... the better your chances of proving your gear IS your gear.

in addition, you can get those little microchip things and have a luthier stash one (or two for bolt-ons) into the neck and/or body at build time. Carvin does this, and it's a really good idea, IMO for positively ID'ing a bass.