*The Stolen Gear Thread*

Feedback from sales, stolen goods, dodgy sellers etc...
Petebass

Re: *The Stolen Gear Thread*

Post by Petebass » 06 Dec 2008, 13:07

OK I spoke to my cop friend.

The reason the cops couldn't act on the phone number is because it represents no evidence. They can call him, but he'll deny he stole it, and there's not basis for a search warrant. The matter ends there.

The ebay sale adds a new dimension. If you can somehow link that ebay seller to the person who you suspect stole it, that changes everything. It provides the police with an avenue of investigation. Often the ebay seller isn't the thief, but either knows who it is, or knew the goods were stolen when they took delivery of them and can therefore be charged.

Getting details of ebay sellers or Paypal users can be tough. Try contacting them first, stating that there are stolen goods at the core of the issue. If they can't/wont help. the police may be able to issue a warrant to force them to comply without legal ramifications. The way to get to this stage is to walk into a police station and specifically ask for a detective. Go in armed with whatever evidence you have.

Also, if something gets stolen, keep a close eye on ebay. It's not uncommon for police to set up stings. they act as a the highest bidder, establish contact with the seller, then set him up for an arrest.
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

Mr_Dave

Post by Mr_Dave » 06 Dec 2008, 17:10

This thread makes me sad :/ hope you guys all get your basses back
I work at the BassCentre
Fender, GK, Aguilar, Sadowsky, blah blah blah

ROON

Post by ROON » 06 Dec 2008, 18:24

Guys, stay positive. I'm sure you have all seen the thread on TB about the guy who had his Benevente stolen, only to be tracked down months and months later?

Good luck to both of you, and sorry for your loss!
- Josh

Wwolof

Post by Wwolof » 06 Dec 2008, 20:00

I have worked out who stole mine. Some interesting things may be about to happen.

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » 06 Dec 2008, 21:49

Please do post about it when it happens :)

anarchyok

Post by anarchyok » 13 Dec 2008, 21:53

yes please!!

we are such a vicarious lot!!
Warwick, Bergantino, Darkglass Electronics, Wren and Cuff.

rodl2005

Post by rodl2005 » 16 Dec 2008, 14:51

Ohh YES PUHLEASE
Mean & Surly

handyz

Post by handyz » 20 Dec 2008, 21:11

sorry guys just reply now. Let me tell you the whole story..

It was me to put it on Ebay at that time, but it not sold. About 2 weeks later a guys call me asking about the Fodera. Since i really need cash at that time so i sold it to him but he only can pay thru Paypal.

And then he paid me and at I checked my paypal account it was completed. But coz this is a big money (for me) I verify this by calling Paypal cust. Service 2 or 3 times !!! and the officer said it SAFE !!!!. So I let him to took the fodera from me. The next day the fund in my paypal account was reversed by paypal and they said it was Fraud. That guy using someone's account to pay me so Paypal should returned the fund back to the fund owner...

We made some conversation via mob ph so i got his mob : 0450243193 (This is Vodaphone- I search from a friend who worked at Vodaphone)
his name is Chris Hogan, Driver Lic: 05639218 but later Police told me that the D/L and name are FAKE...

SOOOO MANY way i try to get my fodera back including called someone who work at ebay, Police : Surry Hills LAC and Redfern LAC, Fair and Trading Dept (reporting this fraud at Paypal) but still : NIL

Since now on i will never trust Paypal anymore, they protect buyer but not seller. Be carefull guys !!!

The Fodera serial no: M 4040378 (last digit is not too obvious probably numer 3 or number 8)
Purchased from : The LowEnd (Brian)

cheers
Andy 0432033359
Last edited by handyz on 17 Jan 2010, 11:16, edited 1 time in total.

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 21 Dec 2008, 08:54

For large sums of money I always transfer the payment from Paypal to my bank account immediately, to eliminate the risk of the payment being reversed.

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

oliver

Post by oliver » 21 Dec 2008, 11:18

I'm sure it is possible for Paypal to reverse the funds transfer if you transferred it to your bank account, unless by not being a financial institution they are not able to do it?

It would suck if you transferred the money to your account, and withdrew the cash only to have Paypal reverse it a couple of days later and leave your account in overdraft.

It's the sort of situation that my work has found itself in a couple of times. We get an order that looks a little dodgy, but they have an American Express card with seemingly correct details. We process the order and get our money, only to have it reversed a month later and a chargeback fee applied (to add insult to injury) because the card details were stolen or fraudulent. As a result we require various forms of ID for suspicious orders, and generally don't take American Express anymore (although the same situation is obviously possible with other credit cards).

Bottom line, if it's a legit buyer, they shouldn't be insulted by you asking for ID and other means of verification. If they get upset about it generally that's because they are trying to scam you.

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 22 Dec 2008, 08:10

oliver wrote:I'm sure it is possible for Paypal to reverse the funds transfer if you transferred it to your bank account, unless by not being a financial institution they are not able to do it?

It would suck if you transferred the money to your account, and withdrew the cash only to have Paypal reverse it a couple of days later and leave your account in overdraft.
Paypal have no ability to reverse a transaction that you manually make to your own bank account. Once you withdraw the funds from your Paypal account there's nothing they can do about it. The only funds Paypal can lay their hands on are those in your current Paypal account balance.

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 22 Dec 2008, 11:42

Aussie Mark wrote:
oliver wrote:I'm sure it is possible for Paypal to reverse the funds transfer if you transferred it to your bank account, unless by not being a financial institution they are not able to do it?

Paypal have no ability to reverse a transaction that you manually make to your own bank account. Once you withdraw the funds from your Paypal account there's nothing they can do about it. The only funds Paypal can lay their hands on are those in your current Paypal account balance.
Since the bass was apparently resold on ebay...Here is what I would do...I would contact ebay and find out if they can search their archives for a listing of your bass (please, include a photo)...if they find it (or similar), have them send all pertinent info to the police...this will give the police enough information (HOPEFULLY) to recover the instrument for the ebay buyer...

be PERSISTANT with ebay...if they say there is nothing they can do, do not accept that...keep at it.

unfortunately, the only "winner" in this is the crook, as he's managed to steal your bass from you...if you get the bass back, the ebay buyer is the loser...if you don't get it back it is your loss...

the crook in this case will probably never be caught.
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

Nigel

Post by Nigel » 26 Jan 2009, 15:08

Aussie Mark wrote:

I know that from experience. Paypal found in my favour but said he had no money in his account. All they could do was freeze his account and promise if he ever put money in there that they would send it to me. the guy eventually came good after about 7 months.
Mailloux Custom "Lucky 13", EA Doubler, Barefaced Midget 110, Mojo-Sonic 1x10.

Gruntollio Basswall

Post by Gruntollio Basswall » 10 Feb 2009, 18:39

Guys,

I know this won't help the guys that have had stuff stolen already but these are worth checking out:

http://www.datadotdna.com/australia/dtal_technology.htm

You can purchase a DIY datadot kit for about $100 which allows you to spray microscopic identifyers on your gear. This can be readily identified should your gear end up on a hock shop.

There's no absolute guarantees with it, but should some junkie idiot steal your amp or bass and be stupid enough to try and flog it as cash coverters, the liklihood is that he'll most likley receive handcuffs instead of cash. You've got a better chance of seeing your gear again with these than without. Some of us have spent small fortunes on our gear so $100 to give you a little extra piece of mind is worth it for me anyway...

sandman

Post by sandman » 22 Apr 2009, 03:08

oliver wrote:
PilbaraBass wrote:We need to find a policeman who's also a bass player. THEN you'd see results!!!
Sting? ;)

Seriously though, maybe if you find out who the guy is in one of the state police jazz bands you might be able to get some information. I'm sure they'll sympathise. They might tell you it's not worth pursuing but I'm sure they'd offer some insights.

Sting, LOL!!
very quick. will keep an eye out, sorry to hear about scumbags stealing yr stuff guys.
needs to spend less time on forums, more time on bass..