BASS STRINGS

Distributes fine bass products AUS wide via retail dealer network. Brands include Warwick, Rockbass, Seymour Duncan Basslines, EBS, Morley, Rockbag, Bullet, Core X2, Rockstand, FODERA, B-BAND, DTAR and more.
jamiesdad

Re: BASS STRINGS

Post by jamiesdad » 07 Aug 2009, 09:47

PilbaraBass wrote:I just one a set of "New" (never opened package) D'Addario EXP strings (coated nickel wounds)...I got them for $16 (including shipping)...how cool is THAT?
PB, where did you pick them up for that price? I am after some cheapy flats to try on my jazz.
Friendly Forum Mod

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 07 Aug 2009, 10:35

jamiesdad wrote:
PilbaraBass wrote:I just one a set of "New" (never opened package) D'Addario EXP strings (coated nickel wounds)...I got them for $16 (including shipping)...how cool is THAT?
PB, where did you pick them up for that price? I am after some cheapy flats to try on my jazz.
Unfortunately...It was a one off...some dude in Central Coast NSW cleaning out his closet...there were a couple of other sets for sale, but I didn't pursue them agressively enough (I should have)...the other set of D'Adds went for $18 (including shipping) and a set of Warwick EMP's went for <$20 (inclusing shipping). (one set of Warwick EMP's went for $46 and that was still a bargain, based on the going price for them.
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 17 Nov 2009, 10:50

Any advice - flats for Squier JV Jazz with EMG actives? I'm trying to get best tone with old school vibe. I'm currently using really old Ernie Ball stainless 45-105 and curious to try flats for more fuller sound/ fundamental note.

TI JF's topping the list because glowing reviews and upright sound. I love tension/feel of DR Hi-Beams (roundwound/round core) on my Tobias and some say string feel/tension similar. I hate super stiff strings so not looking into 'Jamersons'. Next choice is Chromes. (Maybe La Bellas?)

What do all you Katz out there suggest?
Oz Bass Forum Moderator

Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 17 Nov 2009, 11:18

Not a flatwound player myself. But based on a couple of good youtube vids I listened to, I really like the sound of LaBella Flats. To me the Fender & D'Addario flats are similar-sounding and ok...but the LaBella's have that extra "somethin' somethin' "
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

subsea

Post by subsea » 17 Nov 2009, 12:24

Elixir med. long scale on all basses except one (Rcocco set )
like the sound , feel , everything except the price :)
Coconuts are people too !
mailloux DCS5 , belmam custom 4 , tony bell custom 4 , other belmans , maton jb4 , danelectro long horn , others...
markbass lm2 marco edition , g&k rb400m2 , aguilar db112 , gk sb410
+ other amps and cabs

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 17 Nov 2009, 14:25

Lower tension flats = TI, Labella or Pyramid.
Medium tension = D'Addario Chromes, Ernie Ball
High tension = Fender, Roto, Dean Markley

Have never tried Elixir or DR

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 17 Nov 2009, 15:26

Thanks all. My choices seem to have grown -

Anyone with a Jazz + Flats able to tell me if there's any difference TONALLY between these strings?

Other than feel, is there much difference between guages?
ie Heavy = more fundamental? / Light guage = more mids?
Oz Bass Forum Moderator

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 17 Nov 2009, 16:17

BassLine2 wrote:Anyone with a Jazz + Flats able to tell me if there's any difference TONALLY between these strings?

Other than feel, is there much difference between guages?
ie Heavy = more fundamental? / Light guage = more mids?
I'll have a crack at answering this.

There is quite a range of tonal difference between brands of flats ...

Rotosound and Dean Markley are the least bright of the bunch, closely followed by Fender.

Brightest are the Chromes and Ernie Balls, these two are the flats I'd choose as the best general flats for rock - they have more mids than the others. Good choice for active basses, especially Musicman

Personally, I think Chromes and Ernies are the same string in different packaging. TI Flats are quite bright compared to many flats when new (they settle down in a week), but they also have a lot of low end thump and lovely warm midrange. They are my pick for general purpose use on passive basses - they are very well suited to Fenders.

Pyramids are great sounding straight out of the pack, in terms of brightness they are brighter than Roto/Fender/Markley, but not as bright as Chromes/EB or TI. Feel wise they are similar to TI Flats, but with a slightly greater tension than the TIs. Labella are similar to the Pyramids.

The heavier the gauge flats will have a big pull on them, and will certainly have less mids than the lighter gauge sets such as TIs.

Hope this helps somehow!

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 17 Nov 2009, 18:31

TI Flats.....have a lot of low end thump and lovely warm midrange. They are my pick for general purpose use on passive basses - they are very well suited to Fenders.
Aussie Mark - another PERFECT answer, confirming TI JF's are what I'm looking for on the Jazz. :yep

Not being an electronics buff myself, how will TI flats perform with active EMG's?
I'm guessing, but will they will brighten up the flats to balance the overall sound - or - produce more a high-output 'humbucker'-type fullness/ valve-saturation thickness (low thump, warm mids)?
Oz Bass Forum Moderator

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 17 Nov 2009, 19:27

Lakland have FANTASTIC audio clips for their basses - rounds or flats playing neck, bridge or both pickups with many different styles. Well worth a listen.
http://www.lakland.com/audio.htm
Oz Bass Forum Moderator

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 18 Nov 2009, 08:51

BassLine2 wrote:how will TI flats perform with active EMG's?
The only flats I've used with active EMGs were Status - on a Steinberger and a Hohner Steinberger copy.

However, I've used TI Flats on active Stingrays (currently have them on my 30th Anniversary Stingray) and an old active Ibanez Musician, and they sounded great.

subsea

Post by subsea » 18 Nov 2009, 13:09

aussiemark , we talking L1series steinberger or later ?
Coconuts are people too !
mailloux DCS5 , belmam custom 4 , tony bell custom 4 , other belmans , maton jb4 , danelectro long horn , others...
markbass lm2 marco edition , g&k rb400m2 , aguilar db112 , gk sb410
+ other amps and cabs

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 18 Nov 2009, 13:38

subsea wrote:aussiemark , we talking L1series steinberger or later ?
XL2A-D

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 05 Dec 2009, 02:16

BassLine2 wrote:
TI Flats.....have a lot of low end thump and lovely warm midrange. They are my pick for general purpose use on passive basses - they are very well suited to Fenders.
Not being an electronics buff myself, how will TI flats perform with active EMG's?
I ended up speaking with Matt at Bass People, we decided on GHS Pressurewounds (somewhere between Rounds and Flats) for the Squier JV Jazz (Alder/Maple/Rosewood). The EMG-J is a ceramic pickup with a very narrow field to pick up the string, and he suggested TI JF's were not going to work the best with these particular pickups.

I like the GHS's - there is a commanding sound, somewhere between rock chest-kicking and upright warmth in tone - much more versatile & seems to get a lot more out of the bass than previous SS rounds.
Oz Bass Forum Moderator