FOR SALE: 5st Jazz Ash/Maple CAR w/matching headstock #022

Modern and vintage style electric basses handmade in South East Queensland.
SpankyAndy

Re: FOR SALE: 5st Jazz Ash/Maple w/matching headstock

Post by SpankyAndy » 30 Mar 2012, 14:28

@Mark

Fail! Non-matching headstock! :partydance:

Phil is selling this with a matching headstock, painted to conceal a plugged string retainer hole.

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 30 Mar 2012, 14:49

SpankyAndy wrote:@Mark

Fail! Non-matching headstock! :partydance:

Phil is selling this with a matching headstock, painted to conceal a plugged string retainer hole.

Matching headstock is not the deal breaker, if I'm reading you correctly - your issue is the plain maple board?

I just posted those to show that custom colours and a maple board look fine :thumbup:

Of course, it might depend on who is playing it too :drool:

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

SpankyAndy

Post by SpankyAndy » 30 Mar 2012, 14:56

My bad, plain maple board with matching headstock. I also dislike the big chrome string retainer Phil uses :shrug:

The photos of the sonic blue and seafoam green basses with matching headstocks posted by (the other) Andy look really washed out to me. The aesthetics just don't excite me.

My natural Sabre has a really plain neck, but has a plain headstock too. I only bought her as she was rare and at a good price at the time. Visually, I really dislike the look and feel of the neck, but fortunately she sounds fantastic in a band environment. She certainly isn't the first instrument I will pick up and play, just cos the look and feel don't grab me.

I think I should bow out and let someone else more deserving take this...

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » 30 Mar 2012, 15:10

Been a lot of activity here today 8/

@Spanky, the colour of the neck is plain maple with lacquer on it like you'll see on most basses that aren't Fenders including mine and Sadowsky's. The neck is already lacquered and ready to go so its too late for tints on this one. I can use whichever preamp in the bass, I mentioned the Aggies because that's what I normally carry and have them in stock. Don't force yourself to buy something you don't really want anyway, it would suck to see it up for sale in a couple of months because of it. I'm happy to do whatever colour I like on it if no one's up for it at this time.

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » 30 Mar 2012, 15:16

I like the Dakota Red one very much, I've got some Candy Apple Red lacquer in stock, the look would be very similar, could be nice to try. I like the orange ones too and the gold looks great, Firemist Gold would be closest to that, then again Firemist Silver looks pretty awesome too :hmm

SpankyAndy

Post by SpankyAndy » 30 Mar 2012, 15:35

EBMM use plain maple on everything but the Classic. The orange looks pretty amazing on this Big Al:

SpankyAndy

Post by SpankyAndy » 30 Mar 2012, 17:33

Hey Phil,

Is the body shape your own creation/interpretation? I was just comparing it with Fenders, Lulls and Nordys and noticed the shape is subtly different in several ways. Am I seeing things??

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » 30 Mar 2012, 17:41

No, its my own creation based on the Sadowsky. The pick guard has to be made custom by me no other 5 string pickguard should fit it out there

Juan Lauda

FOR SALE: 5st Jazz Ash/Maple w/matching headstock

Post by Juan Lauda » 01 Apr 2012, 06:56

Phil, would it be possible to post a higher res pick of the headstock? I'm wondering whether a subtle sticker might do the trick in place of a full Colour finish. I've always lusted after one of your basses...
Eleven. Exactly. One louder.

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » 01 Apr 2012, 09:40

Here's one I had on the computer, its not that clear and the lighting makes it look yellower than it is but you can see it.

The plugged hole is below the 2 string tree. It may not be that obvious and may very well be hidden by strings but it still there, I wouldn't be happy to see it out there with that defect.

PilbaraBass

FOR SALE: 5st Jazz Ash/Maple w/matching headstock

Post by PilbaraBass » 01 Apr 2012, 10:19

Are you kidding me? That is the tiniest of blemishes.

Why don't you just go with a straight bar string retainer here? Instead of your usual 1 + 2 .... That ought to cover it up...

another option is to go black on the headstock... Many Peavey basses do this and they look just fine. Carvin actually offers a black headstock as an option on their instruments
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » 01 Apr 2012, 10:29

The other holes are drilled for the two trees so no other bar options, plus I've never been able to find bar type trees for bass before.

I think I'd rather just make it a matched colour really. It looks like a tiny blemish on the pic but you can definitely see it in person.

basshack

Post by basshack » 01 Apr 2012, 11:11

Kerry, you know it's not the size of the blemish but the fact it isn't perfect in the first place. If it had been offered for sale without the knowledge would we have picked it? I doubt it with the strings on an all but its why we lust after Phil's instruments, hand made with pride to the best quality. If he had just offered it up complete as a painted finish say in one of the new colour range with the headstock already matching no one would be the wiser except Phil himself and we'd be all over it like a rash. But there is pride and honesty there that has to be respected. There had to be some thought towards trashing it all together even at the finish stage but swayed by logical reason that said it could be saved in a fashion that makes it acceptable to release but damn it....
><((((º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... >((((º>

CrayZee_Bass

Post by CrayZee_Bass » 01 Apr 2012, 12:09

mmmmm maple/black w/matching headstock is my vote.

Oh and black blocks/binding too, but that's prolly taking it a bit far...... :yep

You can lead a horse to water...........

But you can't shut the doors on a motorcycle.

Nigel

Post by Nigel » 01 Apr 2012, 15:06

Hey Phil, what are the string spacing options?
Mailloux Custom "Lucky 13", EA Doubler, Barefaced Midget 110, Mojo-Sonic 1x10.