Polaris Basses by Dr. Bass

Space for non-sponsoring commercial users. Ads, announcements and promotions.
Forum rules
Threads Can Only Be Started By Supporting Members
slashin_velvet

Re: Polaris Basses by Dr. Bass

Post by slashin_velvet » 22 Jan 2018, 17:18

I caught up with Michael late last week as a sounding board for my own build and the basses he is building are just incredible. You can tell by the playability of his instruments that he has carefully considered each element that goes into the builds, and he leaves no stone unturned to deliver a high quality instrument.

He made a point of highlighting that these were just prototype basses, but the comfort level was just fantastic. Whilst the 6 string was wide for me (I usually only play 4 strings), I quickly adapted to it and really enjoyed the sound and playability.

Moving from instrument to instrument you could feel and hear the subtle differences in each build, but most importantly you could tell that these instruments are crafted with care. After using his basses, I went back to my Warwick Corvette, and tried out his "neck thru" thumb (a bass I had idolised as a dream bass for a long time) and they felt heavy and overly large.

I strongly recommend anyone who is thinking about reaching out to not hesitate. I don't think you will find a better value for money custom instrument in Melbourne.

drbass

Post by drbass » 22 Jan 2018, 18:06

Curto wrote:
10 Dec 2017, 16:20
Updated pics! That grain is stunning. I like how you've book matched the top over that contrast veneer and likewise on the headstock. The body to neck transition on the back looks very comfortable... is the whole body relatively thin?
Hi Paul,

Saw this only just now, sorry.

38 mm is the answer so not super-thin but definitely less than what you normally get.

I'm happy to report that the customer is really happy with it, loves how easy it is to play and has mentioned how much his technique has approached since he's not struggling with playability.

Regards,
Michael
- Merlin “Kermit” 6 multi, Merlin Gaia 6 fretless, Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3

drbass

Post by drbass » 22 Jan 2018, 18:20

slashin_velvet wrote:
22 Jan 2018, 17:18
I caught up with Michael late last week as a sounding board for my own build and the basses he is building are just incredible. You can tell by the playability of his instruments that he has carefully considered each element that goes into the builds, and he leaves no stone unturned to deliver a high quality instrument.

He made a point of highlighting that these were just prototype basses, but the comfort level was just fantastic. Whilst the 6 string was wide for me (I usually only play 4 strings), I quickly adapted to it and really enjoyed the sound and playability.

Moving from instrument to instrument you could feel and hear the subtle differences in each build, but most importantly you could tell that these instruments are crafted with care. After using his basses, I went back to my Warwick Corvette, and tried out his "neck thru" thumb (a bass I had idolised as a dream bass for a long time) and they felt heavy and overly large.

I strongly recommend anyone who is thinking about reaching out to not hesitate. I don't think you will find a better value for money custom instrument in Melbourne.
Hi Davin,

Was great having a chat with you last week. I'm almost embarrassed by your very kind comments - thank you very much ... .

Please note that I built those prototypes a) to learn, and try different approaches, and b) as demo instruments so if anyone in Melbourne is actually interested you can have any of those basses for a week or so to get a feel how it/they work in the real world (rehearsal, gig). Just contact me via PM.

Thank you again Davin, and I have to say that I really like what you're doing with your first build (that dovetail looked great, and I dig that laurel camphor body shape and contouring).

Regards,
Michael
- Merlin “Kermit” 6 multi, Merlin Gaia 6 fretless, Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)

drbass

Post by drbass » 31 Jan 2018, 16:04

Updated pictures in the posts on page 1, if you're interested.

Regards,
Michael