Band PA?

Techniques, Instruction, Live Sound, Recording Equipment, GTG's etc...
bigswifty

Re: Band PA?

Post by bigswifty » 18 Jul 2018, 22:07

ozrider wrote:
18 Jul 2018, 21:44
I'm getting pretty convinced to buy a pa now, I want modular as possible. So two powered speakers like the 15s... but smaller maybe, for cafe gigs. No subwoofer, but just a mixer. Is it possible to set the speakers just behind the vocalist so no need for a foldback?
For cafe-volume gigs in a small ensemble setting it is certainly possibly to position mic/speakers so that they fill the venue and also provide a satisfactory level of monitoring for the vocalist. If you have a vocalist who likes to wander about it might be tough :)
I'm a mean offloading machine!

FunkyJase

Post by FunkyJase » 19 Jul 2018, 10:24

bigswifty wrote:
18 Jul 2018, 22:07
ozrider wrote:
18 Jul 2018, 21:44
I'm getting pretty convinced to buy a pa now, I want modular as possible. So two powered speakers like the 15s... but smaller maybe, for cafe gigs. No subwoofer, but just a mixer. Is it possible to set the speakers just behind the vocalist so no need for a foldback?
For cafe-volume gigs in a small ensemble setting it is certainly possibly to position mic/speakers so that they fill the venue and also provide a satisfactory level of monitoring for the vocalist. If you have a vocalist who likes to wander about it might be tough :)
We often just use one speaker in front of the band for the venue and one as foldback. In a lot of places one speaker is more than enough if it's just for vox :-)
"If only you could have seen what I've seen with your eyes"
Roy Batty

Sandberg VS4, 57RI P Bass, Fretless PJ Bass, Frankenbass PJ, & 75' Fender Jazz Rip Off.

Markbass Big Bang, AG TH500, Bassman 115 Pro, Eden EX112, Lab Sys 212

ozrider

Post by ozrider » 20 Jul 2018, 19:54

Well, well. The percussionist turns out to own a PA setup. We played a pub last night at an open mic and it certainly was BYOPA!

ooda

Post by ooda » 01 Aug 2018, 22:34

For rehearsal and parties where we don't need to be very loud, my band uses a mixing board and 2 powered PA speakers. Drummer rocks the electric kit. Means we can make sure we have an even, well mixed sound. We also have an electric generator for some busking gigs the council pays us to do.

Big amps and proper drum kit are kept for proper venues
Ibanez BTB745
Sterling by Music Ray 34
Ibanez SRA505
Hartke LH500 Head
Edan Nemesis 4x10 cab
TC Electronics BG250-112 combo (for smaller gigs)
Line 6 G30 Wireless System

Current band: Citizen of the World