Band PA?

Techniques, Instruction, Live Sound, Recording Equipment, GTG's etc...
FENDERJAZZ

Band PA?

Post by FENDERJAZZ » 23 Jun 2011, 13:57

Just wandering what everyones opinion is on who should own/purchase the bands PA. If the only ones using the PA are the singer and the drummer (kick) is it the rest of the bands responsibility to partly own/purchase it? If everyone else has there own amps and instruments, is it ok for the singer to just rock up with a microphone and expect everyone else to pay for the PA?
MIA Fender Jazz with Lindy Fralins,62 Fender Jazz.

bianchijustin

Re: Band PA?

Post by bianchijustin » 23 Jun 2011, 14:11

To avoid headaches.... 1 member should own/run/maintain it and take a cut for the trouble...
Otherwise if it is shared, a member leaves- needs to sell out of it, new member joins- needs to buy into it. Its all too hard.

It's like the episode of the simpsons where Bart, Millhouse and Martin buy the radioactive man comic...

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There is also a negative side".
Hunter S. Thompson

bugsy

Post by bugsy » 23 Jun 2011, 14:18

If you dont have the funds to buy everything, you can each buy a section.

mixer/power amp or powered head

speakers

foldbacks

etc

That way if someone leaves they can only take what they have brought and it doesnt leave to big of a gap for the remaining band members

carl0097

Post by carl0097 » 23 Jun 2011, 14:24

i think the singer should own the PA as everyone else has enough to buy but somehow it never happens.
Aussie Mark wrote:I love someone with less GAS willpower and patience than me. Congrats on the new rig!

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 23 Jun 2011, 14:50

The PA is there to make the band sound good, not just the drummer and vocalist. Without a PA you don't have a band.

The option of one person owning the PA works, but that person should get an extra cut for providing it. The option of each person providing one part of the PA can also work if everyone is cool with the idea.

Having been the PA owner/provider in the past for several of the bands I've been in, I much prefer to pay somebody else to deal with that these days, so I'm happy to hire PA and operator if there isn't in-house production.

Another option would be for the singer to provide a PA that is good enough to handle vocals only in small venues (where you don't need drums miked or bass in the FOH), and for bigger venues you hire PA/operator. Given that a decent quality drum kit, guitar and rig, or bass and rig probably costs say $3000, you can get a decent quality small vocal PA including a couple of powered foldback wedges for around that. If you put it to the vocalist along those lines, it's difficult for them to argue against the idea.

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

wilbur88

Post by wilbur88 » 23 Jun 2011, 14:56

One band I play in has it's own small PA - 2 wedges, mikes/stands/leads, 2 FOH monitors, drum monitor, 2 subs and a small desk. Just enough to handle small gigs and easy to set up and cart. I agree with Mark, it is required to make the band sound good, not just the kick & vox. We bought it out of gig money, and I suppose we are lucky in that we aren't gigging to make bucks, just for fun, so we just run it all into a kitty and spend it on studio time and other bits as we see fit. Oh, and a really good long lunch just before X'mas every year!
'82 Steinberger L-2 : '78 Gibson Grabber G3 : '06 Gibson T-bird : '06 Gretsch G6072 Country Gentleman : '11 Fender 60th Anniversary P : '78 Guild B302F : '05 Warwick CS SS1 5

Fender TV

TheBottomLine

Post by TheBottomLine » 23 Jun 2011, 15:17

Been in a band owned P.A situation a few times and it's a pain.
I think all vocalists should at least own a good powered wedge and mike.
One person owning the P.A and getting a higher cut is good but P.A hire is better IMO.
https://www.facebook.com/RevMoFo?pc=p&__user=0
Amps :Mesa,Fender,Hartke /Cabs: Mesa , SWR ,Schroeder & Ashdown
Basses , passive 4's strung with flats
active 5 strings strung with roundwounds
( who would have thunk that )

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 23 Jun 2011, 15:28

Hire!
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 23 Jun 2011, 17:26

A powered wedge is going to get vocals going, so the singer should at least chip in for that. Anything else I'd say buy a practice PA (basic 4 channel mixer is cheap and portable, 2-3 powered wedges depending on requirements) to keep it simple. That way you can expand if you start needing it for small gigs, grab a couple FOH maybe a sub and good to go.

This way nobody's too invested and not much outlay. Then make this decision when you start needing a full PA, I would recommend each person buys a part. Split up a PA a few years back the whole band chipped in for as we all sang, and we ended up with pieces on their own that were basically useless. Luckily started another band with one of the guys and still had enough to scrape by without forking out again.
Strings: Fender, Framus, Warwick, Custom
Knobs: Mesa, MarkBass
Patch: TC Electronic, Aguilar, T-Rex

bollo

Post by bollo » 23 Jun 2011, 17:53

Petebass wrote:Hire!
I couldn't agree more. If you have a decent rental company to rely on DON'T buy a pa. Owning a pa is a drag from just about every perspective I can think of. A pa is a band requirement - no pa, no gig - and it's easy when you hire, just split the cost evenly. No arguments, no hurt feelings, no complications, no repairs, no brainer.
I've got a bad feeling about this....

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 25 Jun 2011, 22:41

^ what they said. find a good owner/operator and use him. a good operator is worth their weight in gold anyway.

p.s. I hate setting 6 x as much gear as everyone else FOR everyone else, while they have a drink and moan that they don't have foldback yet. :thumbdown coz that's the reality...
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - https://www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/

TheBottomLine

Post by TheBottomLine » 25 Jun 2011, 23:04

slowlearner wrote:
p.s. I hate setting 6 x as much gear as everyone else FOR everyone else, while they have a drink and moan that they don't have foldback yet. :thumbdown coz that's the reality...
ah that brings back some memories , none of them good !
I can laugh about it now
https://www.facebook.com/RevMoFo?pc=p&__user=0
Amps :Mesa,Fender,Hartke /Cabs: Mesa , SWR ,Schroeder & Ashdown
Basses , passive 4's strung with flats
active 5 strings strung with roundwounds
( who would have thunk that )

CyberPunkie

Post by CyberPunkie » 26 Jun 2011, 00:07

Petebass wrote:Hire!
Indeed. Different venue settings require different PA configurations. Buying a PA should be an investment and as such, analysed in that way.

IF you are a working band, when you buy a PA it becomes the band's asset. You can claim back some taxes based on the price you paid, you can even depreciate it as well (I believe). Allowing for individuals to take care of their gear is ok at the beginning, but down the road you'll learn that they come and go with the individuals.
Yamaha BB424x / Hohner PJ Professional / Roland GR77 + WJones interface 4 Boss GR55 // Boss GT-10B / Boss GR55 / Roland GR77B + VB-99 / Ampeg SVT410HE / SVT15E

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 26 Jun 2011, 09:18

Aussie Mark wrote:Another option would be for the singer to provide a PA that is good enough to handle vocals only in small venues (where you don't need drums miked or bass in the FOH), and for bigger venues you hire PA/operator. Given that a decent quality drum kit, guitar and rig, or bass and rig probably costs say $3000, you can get a decent quality small vocal PA including a couple of powered foldback wedges for around that. If you put it to the vocalist along those lines, it's difficult for them to argue against the idea.
Vocalists should at very least own a mic that suits their voice well and a monitor that they really like the sound of, plus learn how to operate it to sound right (mic technique, vocal dynamics, speaker placement, EQing, etc). That way they can't complain about the sound. If they are too lazy to want to do this then it's a strong sign that they will be an ongoing burden to the rest of the band. Hire a PA/operator is the only feasible option then.

Some singers can manage a rehearsal PA/ small gig PA, and they would be served well buying one. But I know very few who have done this. I wouldn't expect anyone to buy something they don't want to, so Hire. And if somebody has a problem with hiring then you have serious issues!!
Oz Bass Forum Moderator

Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 27 Jun 2011, 12:05

If you already have a PA, another option is to find a keen mate with an ear and some tech knowledge and train them to be your sound guy. I use a small PA at church once a week and I can't tell how highly I value the guys on my team that set it up and mix. As a leader/player/singer it's a whole host of hassle I just don't have to worry about beyond helping carry a few things.

I even advocate treating them as a member of the band and giving them a cut. Sort of like The Edge's guitar tech. U2 could not play without that guy there. And lets face it, with the level of FOH quality expected these days having a dedicated person who just worries about YOUR sound is almost a no brainer. At venues with a house PA, he could roadie for you and sell merch.
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - https://www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/