Skunkhour-25th Anni of first album

Techniques, Instruction, Live Sound, Recording Equipment, GTG's etc...
Rocksolid

Skunkhour-25th Anni of first album

Post by Rocksolid » 21 Oct 2018, 11:48

Went and saw these guys last night. Probably haven't seen them since the late 90s early 2000s. Used to see them every time they came to Adelaide and they were probably the reason I bought a black maple Stingray.

Original line up, and they played the first album from start to finish in the first set, and heaps of other songs in the 2nd.

They were super funky, really tight, and seeing them again made me feel 20 years younger. The Governor Hindmarsh was sold out and heaving, just like I remember when seeing them at the Cargo club, Synagogue, The Austral back in the day.

They only did a few shows, and I was surprised one was in Adelaide. As they explained, Adelaide was the first place they played outside Sydney, and Adelaide embraced them as much or more so than anywhere else. Considering Adelaide crowds, that's a glowing endorsement to how good they were, and still are.

A thoroughly enjoyable night. Do yourself a favour and listen to the their first album Skunkhour on spotify from start to finish.

Just wanted to share.
Gear:Fender I Quilter I Berg I Tech 21 I Zoom l Line 6 I Aguilar I Broughton l sfx l EQD l SD I TCE l MIPRO I 1964ears

Basses: Fender I Gibson I Musicman I Warmoth l Squier I Aria Pro II

Bands: Jungle Jooce, Coke 'N' Nuts, Crossfire Hurricane

jamiesdad

Re: Skunkhour-25th Anni of first album

Post by jamiesdad » 21 Oct 2018, 12:29

I did work experience at a small studio in Pennant Hills in year 10 (1992) - Nightlight

One of the things I did was help record a demo EP for Skunkhour. Recall that the bassist had a Stingray and that the drummer was hitting so hard that the hihats were bleeding into every other mic so recording the drums was a nighmare.

They were super tight then and nice guys ...
Friendly Forum Mod

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 21 Oct 2018, 13:41

Rocksolid wrote:
21 Oct 2018, 11:48
I remember when seeing them at the Cargo club, Synagogue, The Austral back in the day.
haha I just had a flashback, of the band and those three venues, played them a lot in the 80s and 90s :)

thanks for sharing and I'll have a listen.
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

Lukaas3

Post by Lukaas3 » 22 Oct 2018, 19:59

Up to our necks in it is one of the hippest grooves ever.

cleary

Post by cleary » 23 Oct 2018, 07:33

I recently started listening to these guys again - I only remember hearing a few tracks from the 90s but I didn't really get it at the time.
I feel like they sound way ahead of their time, in an Australian context at least. It's really fantastic stuff, I don't think they'll come near Griffith but I'd love to see them
GRay Bass Tuition :: Griffith NSW

Rocksolid

Post by Rocksolid » 23 Oct 2018, 07:55

cleary wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 07:33
I recently started listening to these guys again - I only remember hearing a few tracks from the 90s but I didn't really get it at the time.
I feel like they sound way ahead of their time, in an Australian context at least. It's really fantastic stuff, I don't think they'll come near Griffith but I'd love to see them
You think about someone like hilltop hoods doing what they do now, and are having success globally. These guys were doing it in 93, with a full band, horns, an extra melodic vocal, and the rapping is clever, insightful, and awesome to listen to. I love funk, I'm not super into hip-hop, but the chemistry of these guys was just awesome.
Gear:Fender I Quilter I Berg I Tech 21 I Zoom l Line 6 I Aguilar I Broughton l sfx l EQD l SD I TCE l MIPRO I 1964ears

Basses: Fender I Gibson I Musicman I Warmoth l Squier I Aria Pro II

Bands: Jungle Jooce, Coke 'N' Nuts, Crossfire Hurricane