Informal Sydney Mini-GTG

Techniques, Instruction, Live Sound, Recording Equipment, GTG's etc...
Juan Lauda

Re: Informal Sydney Mini-GTG

Post by Juan Lauda » 25 Aug 2018, 18:01

What a great afternoon! Will post pics ASAP.

Leftovers include a Targus backpack and a couple of guitar straps...
Eleven. Exactly. One louder.

packrat

Post by packrat » 25 Aug 2018, 19:26

And the dog was super friendly as advertised. Also very very patient with us all!

It was great to have an opportunity to meet folks and have an opportunity to try out such a wide variety of different instruments.

B>

maxgroover

Post by maxgroover » 26 Aug 2018, 10:01

Having trouble uploading the pics I took yesterday - something up wth Google Drive at present.

Big thanks to Tim for offering up his lovely home and for his wonderful hospitality. It was good to catch up with George, Owen, Michael and Bruce again and also to meet Theo (aka Stanley Clarke fingers :) ). And of course, big ups to Michael for making the long drive so us Sydney-siders could see in person what the Victorians have long been raving about.

The main attraction was Michael's basses and they didn't disappoint. I missed the last Sydney GTG through illness but heard lots of positive comments about his basses. Seeing them, playing them and hearing them is something else. These are seriously sweet instruments, very well balanced, light and the playability.... The neck profile on the Kermits for me is perfect, the 35" scale neck feels more like a 34" scale. The basses respond beautifully to your RH touch. Dig in and they bite. Theo was getting these basses to sound more like Stanley Clarke than his Alembic lol!

Needless to say I was very impressed and spent a loooong time on the Kermit Sauron and the Kermit fretless 6. A loooong time. For a reason.... ;)

Will put up my pics when Google Drive starts playing nice.
Ozbass moderator

The Moods Band

Mailloux, Fender, Lakland, Univox basses
Genz Benz, Tech 21, BBE, Crown, Zoom amps and preamps
Bergantino & Genz Benz Cabs

maxgroover

Post by maxgroover » 26 Aug 2018, 10:17

Ozbass moderator

The Moods Band

Mailloux, Fender, Lakland, Univox basses
Genz Benz, Tech 21, BBE, Crown, Zoom amps and preamps
Bergantino & Genz Benz Cabs

drbass

Post by drbass » 26 Aug 2018, 13:12

Are we there yet? Yes, we are, I arrived back home just after 12, beautiful sunny skies here in Melbourne after a grey day in Sydney.

First of all a VERY big thank you to Tim and Nadia (and their adorable German shepherd) for providing the venue and outstanding hospitality - I really appreciate this very much.
Big thank you to all who showed up (Pete unfortunately couldn't make it) - great to catch up with Bruce (packrat) who seemed to like the Special Q, George (Bassgeardirect), Owen (BassLine), Matt (maxgroover) and Theo who I met for the first time.

I had a great time, well worth driving 1700 km for (I even had some bonus time in Sydney Saturday night traffic thanks to forgetting my backpack and needing to go back about 40 mins after leaving). So many encouraging comments that indicate I'm going in the right direction. Looks like I'll be busy ;) .

OK, unpack the car, have a quick nap (didn't sleep all that well and much), then some work work (lectures to prepare ...). I'll be in touch later.

And Matt, way too kind!

Regards,
Michael

P.S.: I also got to meet Steve Hunter - dropped off a cab for "stonecoldbass" Craig. Nice guy!!!
- Merlin “Kermit” 6 multi, Merlin Gaia 6 fretless, Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3

GeorgeG

Post by GeorgeG » 26 Aug 2018, 18:10

Yeah it was great seeing you guys again and meeting Bruce and Theo for the first time.
A big thank you to Tim for his hospitality and offering his home for the GTG, and btw, Hera is a great dog with a great name :)

Michael, your basses kill, especially your recent Kermit build with the Walnut body, that is an unbelievable bass to play, great tone, tight and very controlled and the weight and comfort is one of the best I've ever felt.
Also listening to Matt play the Kermit 6 string fretless was sweet as - unbelievable mwah!!
Anyway it was a great afternoon.....Thanks again Tim!!
George Ganakas
Owner of Bass Gear Direct - Dealer / Importer for Bergantino Audio, Euphonic Audio, Glockenklang, Roscoe Guitars & Sadowsky Guitars
www.bassgeardirect.com.au

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 26 Aug 2018, 18:37

I tell you what, that six string Kermit fretless is so easy to make sound good it makes me think I can play it, and I can’t play sixers or fretless!
Strings: Fender, Custom, Framus, Warwick
Knobs: Mesa, MarkBass
Cones: Baer
Patch: TC Electronic, Aguilar

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 26 Aug 2018, 18:37

Great photos!

These small gatherings are always fun. And best of all you can actually get to hear the instruments properly :thumbup:

Michael, you are definitely the forums "crazy German guy". Terrific basses and outstanding effort driving from Melbourne to Sydney and back in one weekend :clap: :clap: :clap:
IB-Classic#001, Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"If you keep buying things you DON'T need, eventually you'll have to start selling things you DO need"

Juan Lauda

Post by Juan Lauda » 27 Aug 2018, 07:43

Hi guys,

It really was a pleasure being able to host the GTG and get a chance to play - and really hear - Michael’s stunning basses. The walnut Kermit was a particular favourite, but they are all very special. Thanks Matt for taking some great pics, and Owen as well: I didn’t manage to get many decent ones featuring the basses but will put some up later today if at all possible.

Michael, once again: what a marathon effort. Glad I noticed the bag before you’d made it all the way back to Yass! And what a blast it has been getting to see the progress you have been making with your builds, and then to see them in the ‘flesh’. Your methodical approach to planning the build, then your flexible approach to reinvention as your experience grows is so inspiring. I had a chance to try the basses out in some depth before everyone turned up, and Nadya is right behind me in ensuring that there’ll be a commission in the near future.

It was lovely seeing you all again, and great to be able to introduce my mate Theo to Michael’s basses. He’s now a convert.

Hera says hi to you all! She was plum tuckered after making so many new friends she had to have a bone and a good lie down.

Cheers,
Tim

Juan Lauda

Post by Juan Lauda » 27 Aug 2018, 14:53

Dang, we had some nice basses there.

I'd previously mocked up something in Photoshop to prank my wife while she was overseas (see below) but what we had on Saturday was the real deal!

Towards the end of the GTG after some people had left we tested the REF210 on top of the CN212, juiced by the Berg B|Amp. That sounded gooooooood.

sic608

Post by sic608 » 27 Aug 2018, 20:07

:cool:
Wow! Looked like a great little gtg. Wish i could of made it...

Definitely some nice pieces there

I still remember dr bass basses feel and sound from the syd gtg last yr... they are very sweet!

And man would of been nice to hear and try that alembic too
Einstein was onced asked, "How does it feel to be the smartest man alive?" To which he repiled, "I dont know, you'll have to ask Nikola Tesla"