TO ALL WORKING BASSISTS

Techniques, Instruction, Live Sound, Recording Equipment, GTG's etc...
Soong

TO ALL WORKING BASSISTS

Post by Soong » 11 Jul 2018, 11:11

Thought I'd share this flowchart and some thoughts of mine on this topic.

1. Don't be afraid to say no, or to ask what the gig pays.
2. Music students and weekend warriors: STOP taking $50 and a meal gigs. It'll hurt you in the end and KILLS our industry.
3. Don't feel guilty about saying no to a charity you don't support.
4. 'Exposure' will not pay your rent or put food on the table.
5. KNOW your worth.

A gig will be worth doing if it has at least 2/3 of these 'M's:

Good music
Good money
Good musicians

Keep in touch with me online!
Facebook
YouTube
Instagram

pjm

Re: TO ALL WORKING BASSISTS

Post by pjm » 11 Jul 2018, 12:49

Should be one for, should i drive an hour for a rehearsal
Less is more

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 11 Jul 2018, 13:22

I had to talk our drummer through this list recently or something like it. I reckon clubs are the worst offenders. Please don't let them pretend they're not making money when the place is stacked with poker machines. Minimum $50/player/set, and make sure you pay the guy who brings the PA a little extra. ;)
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - https://www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 11 Jul 2018, 13:28

Thats EXACTLY why I haven't been a "working" bassist for many years now Daniel.

In 1984 I had a residency with a band and was paid $60 per night plus full on 3 course meal. The median house price in Melbourne was $65,000.

In 2018, the median house price in Melbourne is over $900,000.

So doing the math, to keep up with housing that gig should now pay around $830 per night (per person), plus 3 course meal. No way is that gonna happen.
Last edited by Classic5 on 11 Jul 2018, 14:00, edited 1 time in total.
IB-Classic#001, Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"Money will buy a fine dog but only kindness will make him wag his tail"

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 11 Jul 2018, 13:33

my originals band mates convinced me no one pays original acts so I agreed to a couple of free shows.

Then I booked us 3 gigs for increasingly good money, OK not good money, but money. $200 at the Gov front bar, $300 at the Exeter and $600 for our last gig. Woollies owned that pokie bar and it took six weeks to get paid lol

Why do we do this again?

BTW the $300 at the Exeter is EXACTLY what we got paid there in the early 90s lol. Their income from beer went up 5 fold,lol scum all of them.
Not worth leaving home for those first two gigs. $200 per set is our new minmum price. Probably no one will pay us that but I'm sick of making money for bars that rake it in on pokies and cry like poor babies when we expect to be compensated for our work.
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

Soong

Post by Soong » 11 Jul 2018, 13:45

Classic5 wrote:
11 Jul 2018, 13:28
That EXACTLY why I haven't been a "working" bassist for many years now Daniel.

In 1984 I had a residency with a band and was paid $60 per night plus full on 3 course meal. The median house price in Melbourne was $65,000.

So doing the math, to keep up with housing that gig should now pay around $830 per night (per person), plus 3 course meal. No way is that gonna happen.
That's assuming gigs is your only source of income. Many pro musos are also earning significantly from private teaching, production and session work. It'd be foolish to think you might be able to gig your way to paying off a mortgage. Possible, but rare.
Keep in touch with me online!
Facebook
YouTube
Instagram

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 11 Jul 2018, 14:10

Soong wrote:
11 Jul 2018, 13:45
Classic5 wrote:
That EXACTLY why I haven't been a "working" bassist for many years now Daniel.

That's assuming gigs is your only source of income. Many pro musos are also earning significantly from private teaching, production and session work. It'd be foolish to think you might be able to gig your way to paying off a mortgage. Possible, but rare.

True, my example is nothing ground breaking that we all don't know. I think to survive as a musician these days you have to either be in a world class touring band or be doing many things on the side (nothing new here either). Hopefully after all those things on the side we can still put bread on the table and keep our love of music alive. For me it's the fact that I have a fallback, call it plan B, work in the IT industry and music is my sanity break.

drbass

Post by drbass » 11 Jul 2018, 14:25

Classic5 wrote:
Thats EXACTLY why I haven't been a "working" bassist for many years now Daniel.

That would actually be almost 14 3-course meals, Ivan. And that's NEVER going to happen.

Regards,
Michael
- Merlin “Kermit” 6 multi, Merlin Gaia 6 fretless, Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3

veebass

Post by veebass » 11 Jul 2018, 14:38

The "rules" are good guidelines. We do covers and we do them well. We have over 100 songs in our repertoire and our gear and attitude is professional.

We won't work for under about the money people are talking above ($200 each a night). Means we leave some of the venues to the guys who will work for less. There is actually a bit of animosity up here with the bands who work for a $200 all up and a plate or two of chips.

We do some charity work as well. We do dances for disabled people roughly every 6 months for free. They are THE BEST gigs ever!
Happiness is .......a Telebass and 500W.

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 11 Jul 2018, 14:52

I just LAUGHED OUT LOUD reading this same post on TB.

here we are all pretty much sharing experiences and views and having an intelligent discussion.

Over there, it's a sh!tfight, as usual. They just cannot converse in a civilised manner lol

THANK YOU PHIL for OzBass
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

packrat

Post by packrat » 11 Jul 2018, 15:29

I bet TB would be perfectly civilised if only they hadn't banned discussion of relicing :)

packrat

Post by packrat » 11 Jul 2018, 15:30

The rules might not perfeftly capture the situation of someone who is trying to get started though.

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 11 Jul 2018, 15:34

veebass wrote:
11 Jul 2018, 14:38
The "rules" are good guidelines. We do covers and we do them well. We have over 100 songs in our repertoire and our gear and attitude is professional.

We won't work for under about the money people are talking above ($200 each a night). Means we leave some of the venues to the guys who will work for less. There is actually a bit of animosity up here with the bands who work for a $200 all up and a plate or two of chips.

We do some charity work as well. We do dances for disabled people roughly every 6 months for free. They are THE BEST gigs ever!
I totally applaud that :clap:

Enjoy making music, don't let others take advantage of you and do some charity work for those who appreciate it :thumbup:

ozrider

Post by ozrider » 11 Jul 2018, 16:57

I think like a lot of industries, the musician industry will continue to be disrupted. I think you're holding onto a dream that you will be treated well and not exploited. This kinda casualisation of work with few protections or worse no pay (internships) are become so everyday across the board that you wonder if anybody is really paying attention. I don't think musicians are particularly good at collective action either - bit of a lost cultural form really.

packrat

Post by packrat » 11 Jul 2018, 17:38

I suspect we are seeing the wave of there simply being not enough employment to go around In just maintaining current things. The gig economy thing we are seeing is a temporary patch.

This is first in human history and we are going to facing some pretty big cultural changes to adjust from the current state where it's typical to define someone's moral worth based on their employment.

Hopefully we're going to end up in a world that supports public goods (reporting, art, music). Uh until then, it's going to be a pretty rough ride for people in those fields.

This doesn't really fall wholly at the feet of people charging too little though, it's more structural.

B>