Tube Amps

Techniques, Instruction, Live Sound, Recording Equipment, GTG's etc...

Would you buy a reasonably priced tube amp?

Poll ended at 01 May 2018, 08:02

Yes
75%
No
25%

Total votes: 36

basshack

Re: Tube Amps

Post by basshack » 22 Apr 2018, 20:22

NotTheFish wrote:
22 Apr 2018, 19:23
Just long enough for you to forget you loaned it to me :poke:
Ha! i'm running a little book now on where stuff is.

Ivan, yes i saw the interview, it is posted here on the forum.
><((((º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... >((((º>

mmw

Post by mmw » 23 Apr 2018, 15:30

I said yes Blane, but i'm not sure when I would use it seeing as I already have a Monique. I suppose it would have to be a very small venue and a gig that I wanted more tube vibe than i could get from just Monique.
Fodera Monarch 5 Deluxe; Jule Amps Monique; Glockenklang Bass Art; Wayne Jones; Acoustic Image;
Origin Effects/Eventide/Chunk Systems/FreeTheTone/Pete Cornish

basshack

Post by basshack » 25 Apr 2018, 14:56

mmw wrote:
23 Apr 2018, 15:30
I said yes Blane, but i'm not sure when I would use it seeing as I already have a Monique. I suppose it would have to be a very small venue and a gig that I wanted more tube vibe than i could get from just Monique.
Same boat here Michael although I tend to take Monique out when it's a special gig otherwise it's the Glock that goes or the AI Flex if it's the Azola.

basshack

Post by basshack » 25 Apr 2018, 14:59

I have been looking around, checking out schematics, what the parts are going to cost and the equivalent in kits. Found a very nice looking Canadian kit builder who looks more than reasonable against buying all the bits, building a chassis etc. Pricing will still be up around the $1200 mark though. I suspect that this takes most people out of the equation. However, if somebody wants me to build one up I would be interested.

vin-tone

Post by vin-tone » 25 Apr 2018, 15:18

$1200 would be a great price. IS that for a pre? or an amp?
Warwick SS2, Fender 63AVRI, Eberhard Meinel Upright > Markbass & AI Coda

basshack

Post by basshack » 25 Apr 2018, 15:56

Hi Vin, It's modelled on a B-15NC (1964) with B-15NF modifications (1965-67) which puts a switch in to put the EQ either pre or post the volume. 30-40W head only but can handle the KT88 Power Tubes with the transformer design so could do a bit more like 50W.

This does have a pre-amp out though so could double up if you really want to step up the power through a SS amp but have that vintage tube feel behind it. It comes in at 13kg shipped so say 15kg with a case around it. Same guys do a Speaker Cab to match if you want a flip top configuration. That's another $1K shipped here so I'd think building locally would be a fair bit cheaper.

The only other kits I have found that are bigger are copies of Marshall amps.

drbass

Post by drbass » 27 Apr 2018, 20:00

Blaine,

Good to have a chat earlier today. Been thinking: you should build one of them as a demo - just saying.

Regards,
Michael
- Merlin “Kermit” 6 multi, Merlin Gaia 6 fretless, Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3

basshack

Post by basshack » 27 Apr 2018, 20:42

Ok peoples I've had a chat with the minister for internal affairs, now I have costs sorted, and she's not keen given our current circumstances, to fund an amp without a sale up front or I have to sell stuff to fund it. Which I fully understand and support.

The kit's cost CAN$900, Shipping is CAN$180 and a middle of the range valve set is US$170 plus postage. So under $1,400 landed I'd expect. The modern equivalent is the Ampeg Porta Flex 50T it's going to cost around $2,500 (BassCentre) for the same thing with solid state component style assembly. So the question now is would you buy one from me if I put $400 on the top to cover my labour? What would be reasonable to sell one at that would see a few orders come in? Ultimately I want to be able to source all the bits myself but need a bit of volume for that which I expect how the kit builders are able to get the parts so competitively.