Sandberg Factory Tour

Techniques, Instruction, Live Sound, Recording Equipment, GTG's etc...
drbass

Sandberg Factory Tour

Post by drbass » 05 Dec 2017, 10:21

Let's finish this off with a single document covering my visit to the Sandberg factory in Braunschweig.

I've met Holger Stonjek a couple of times in Melbourne (once at the Bass Centre where he half-offered to buy back my Classic S2 - was never going to happen - and then at the Sandberg workshop with Ida Nielsen which resulted in sigs of both Holger and Ida on said Classic S2). I simply emailed Holger a few weeks before my trip and asked if I could drop in, and he was quite happy for me to do so. Not sure if it's generally possible to do a tour.

Since he didn't charge I thought I'd take a bottle of Waterwheel Malbec - he appreciated the thought :) .

As already hinted the Sandberg experience was quite different to the Warwick experience. While both companies who been around for a similar period of time (mid-80s) but have taken quite different paths. Let's have a look.

Sandberg is on the first floor of this building in a very small industrial pocket on the outskirts of Braunschweig:

As you walk in you're greeted by this "larger than life" poster:

as well as some older little ones - here's a young Holger shaping a neck:

The actual floor area is much smaller than the Warwick factory (although both have a similar output of basses a year - 1,400 - 1,500) which means it's a lot more cluttered. Here's the actual woodworking area:

Some body timber:

and some more:

Body material is typically either alder or European ash - here's Holger himself drawing the outlines on a slab of ash:

A very rough first cut before further preps for gluing:

This is the neck CNC router:

and the body CNC router is to the left of that.
Necks coming off that machine had a great initial shape but were pretty rough (grooves in the back) so there is absolutely a need to hand-sand:

Fret slots are now also cut by the CNC router (used to be a saw that cut all slots at once - there's a video on the Sandberg site showing the saw and the resulting smoke!!). The slots, by the way, were a lot deeper than the fret tang which surprised me - I always try to have a very small to non-existent space under the tang).

Some old-fashioned gluing of headstock veneer using Titebond, by the way (Warwick use a machine and Collano glue, not available to he public):

All fretting is done by hand (good to see the zero frets!!) and all necks are then plekked:

Don't have a lot of pics of the body progression but ultimately they end up here:

Close-up:

As you can see there's a range of things available, with the biggest contrast right there: beautiful quilted maple top with black contrast veneer versus what looks like a hard core-aged body. YMMV.

Was asked not to take any pictures in the "ageing facility". This is obviously a major Sandberg drawcard, and someone spends around 15 hours to complete a Stage 4-ageing process. Solvents and abrasive implements of all shapes and sizes are involved ;) .

Final assembly takes place here:

All Stage 4 aged ("Hardcore Aged Masterpiece) instruments get the vibration treatment (we didn't talk about the "thermo treatment", I didn't know about it):

This a Tecamp "Pleasure Board". Completed basses are claimed onto this and exposed to 100 hours of a loop of bass riffs (probably played by Holger himself) including finger-style and slap. They certainly vibrate but not anywhere near as much as I thought they would.

Pete asked how the final positions for the pickups was determined. Well, here's the mule:

Pickups are mounted on those little carriers which in turn are held in place by magnets. Holger told me that Ida spent hours and hours to fine-tune the position for her signature bass until she was happy. All this was done while playing with a drummer since, and I think he's right, Holger said that by themselves the basses sound pretty good but the proof in the pudding is whether or not it works with a bass drum. Makes sense to me, and that might explain why a VM with the Stingray humbucker sounds more like a J (since the position of the humbucker is more bridge J than Stingray).

That's all I have. Holger was a little pre-occupied with a photoshoot later in the day to finalise the new catalogue, bit of a shame but hey, it was still pretty good. Very different to the videos you see online (which are always "nice" - applies to the Warwick ones as well - but don't necessarily reflect "real") so I was glad I made the trip.

And to anyone who is complaining about our traffic: on the way from Braunschweig to Duesseldorf (my departure airport) I was stuck in a traffic jam on the autobahn. I did not move - at all - for 2 hours, and the jam ended up being 14 kms long (three lanes!). There.

OK, happy to answer any questions if you have any, and if I can.

Regards,
Michael
- Merlin “Kermit” 6 multi, Merlin Gaia 6 fretless, Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3

Petebass

Re: Sandberg Factory Tour

Post by Petebass » 05 Dec 2017, 10:48

Love the mule pic, thanks for that.

Imo, they're wasting their time with the vibration thingy, but hey, if they believe it does something .......
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

blizzard

Post by blizzard » 05 Dec 2017, 12:03

Cool. I love seeing all the different methods companies to produce a very similar product. Is the theory behind the vibration treatment similar to Yamaha's that it ages the wood for a better sound?

RedVee

Post by RedVee » 05 Dec 2017, 12:08

Thanks Michael. Another cool visit and report.
Ibanez AEB10-BK; Feider P Bass; Challenge Bass; T'Bird Goth; Gibson T’Bird
Fender Rumble 15; Eminar Amps x2; Elfa 410 cab; GK CX115 cab; Zoom B2.1u & B3

drbass

Post by drbass » 05 Dec 2017, 12:38

Thanks, guys.

Yes, the vibration treatment: "opening up" the tonal characters through "crystallisation of resins or sap", "creep of the wood or glue joints", and/or "weakening of the structure" (see here: http://www.savartjournal.org/index.php/ ... ile/22/pdf). This particular study in a peer-reviewed open access journal found no significant changes (based on player evaluations and physical measurements) of vibration-treated vs untreated instruments. Mind you, these are acoustic guitars where I personally would expect a much bigger effect. Anyway, really don't want to go there. If it rocks your boat, no worries.

On a related note: in the pic of the vibration treatment have a look at the shelf in the background. Looks like Sandberg is all out of tort pick guards ;) .

Regards,
Michael
- Merlin “Kermit” 6 multi, Merlin Gaia 6 fretless, Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3

Juan Lauda

Post by Juan Lauda » 05 Dec 2017, 22:39

Thanks for putting this up, Michael. What a great report... I'm keen to see how you impart your experience into your Polaris basses.
Best regards, Tim

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 06 Dec 2017, 09:04

Another really informative writeup Michael. Thanks for taking the time to share with the Ozbass community :thumbup:

The article documenting the study was very interesting. The premium for a Yamaha BB series bass which has undergone such a treatment is quite significant.
IB-Classic#001, Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"If you keep buying things you DON'T need, eventually you'll have to start selling things you DO need"

Heath

Post by Heath » 17 Dec 2017, 22:47

Very awesome!
And I do own such a sandberg that has undergone such witchcraft :peep:
Cole Clarke LL5, Yamaha 425x, Warwick Corvette5, Fender CS 57P, Musicman Sabre, Sandberg Ida
Amps: Markbass, Epifani, Tc, Bergantino

http://cruzersnewcastle.wixsite.com/rock-band