Warwick Factory Tour, Part 2

Techniques, Instruction, Live Sound, Recording Equipment, GTG's etc...
drbass

Warwick Factory Tour, Part 2

Post by drbass » 03 Dec 2017, 11:01

This will be a lot shorter than the first one, eye candy really with some instruments in the showroom.

The tour was about 2 hours all up, and I had the opportunity to spend more time in the showroom to try a few things but had a 4 hour drive ahead of me in rather bad weather so I rushed through it a little. Next time.

This is the first half of one of the walls relevant to bassists - plenty of nice basses hanging there:

Second half of the same wall:

Some amazing paint jobs there. Nicolas told me that they do a fair bit of bleaching darker timbers which a) retains the grain but b) makes it possible to get those brilliant transparent colours. I'll have to try this at some stage myself. From memory the two green ones in the top row were done that way (forget which timber it was, sorry).

I also had a quick chat with the "painter", guy called Sebastian, about dyes they use. I'm sure you're familiar with those quilted or flamed maple finishes that "pop" like crazy - normally achieved by staining black first then sanding back, and then applying the final colour stain. Apparently they have developed a product that is so intense that no black pre-staining is required. And looking at the sample, believe me, they popped (didn't take a picture).

There are some guitars in the showroom as well.

By now we had returned to the entry/reception hall where a small collection of special instruments, basically the signature ones, are displayed like in a museum. Here are a couple of those.

The Trujillo on the left was hand-painted by his wife. The other two have this amazing finish that looks like a see-though acrylic - I was half-shocked that I couldn't see through it. Crazy.

Double-neck dolphin. Nicolas hinted that they were originally separate instruments which subsequently were glued together. Not sure about that but when you look at the body contour there's this groove in the middle that seems to confirm the statement. Anyway.

This is a one-off (nothing to do with Steve Bailey, some instruments just fill the gaps) with an attempt at doing true tempered fret work (like these guys: http://www.truetemperament.com). This one looks vastly different to any true tempered attempt I have seen but apparently it works, and according to Nicolas he knows only one guy who can actually play this. Interesting.

A Jonas Hellborg sig bass (the one on the right). It is SOLID, folks, no chambering, and I could hardly lift it. The next one was chambered though, no surprises there (although Hellborg plays sitting down most of the time).

A double-neck Star bass - I'm sure there are people who would like to have one of those (not me ;) ).

And the last one - it's been around for a while and has rusted badly :) . Surely the best guitar for metal :poke: .

Oh, while I was there they did their first CNC attempt at a new line of basses that is supposed to be introduced at NAMM next year. I took a photo but the CNC run had only just started so it's a piece of wood, really.

We also had a brief look at the Star bass "production" but there wasn't anything to see really except for some amazing laminates and laminate gluing (not really interesting unless you're into that sort of thing).

That's it for the Warwick tour. Looking back at it all I would have liked to spend a little more time in the showroom and the museum part, and it would have been nice to chat with a couple more people on the floor. Next time.
Hope you enjoyed this, and I'll try and do the Sandberg tour some time later today, or tomorrow.

Regards,
Michael
- Merlin “Kermit” 6 multi, Merlin Gaia 6 fretless, Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3

Classic5

Re: Warwick Factory Tour, Part 2

Post by Classic5 » 03 Dec 2017, 11:18

That was a nice wrapup on the Warwick tour Michael. Some beautiful basses hanging on that wall :yep

Is it my imagination or is the body on the green Trajillo larger than the other two basses beside it?
IB-Classic#001, Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"If you keep buying things you DON'T need, eventually you'll have to start selling things you DO need"

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 03 Dec 2017, 11:25

I'm not even a Warwick fan, but I still found this fascinating. Thanks for sharing. No doubt there will be some interesting experiments happening over at Polaris Basses soon :)
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

drbass

Post by drbass » 05 Dec 2017, 08:57

Classic5 wrote:
03 Dec 2017, 11:18
That was a nice wrapup on the Warwick tour Michael. Some beautiful basses hanging on that wall :yep

Is it my imagination or is the body on the green Trajillo larger than the other two basses beside it?
Thank you, Ivan.

It sort of looks like it in the picture but I don't recall noticing a size difference in person.
Petebass wrote:
03 Dec 2017, 11:25
I'm not even a Warwick fan, but I still found this fascinating. Thanks for sharing. No doubt there will be some interesting experiments happening over at Polaris Basses soon :)
Thank you, Pete. I don't think I'll be able to apply anything I saw directly to what I'm doing. Obviously I don't have a CNC router but I'll modify my body shaping and neck outline protocol based on routing to get more initial consistency in the future.
Since I don't have access to the dyes/stains used and/or the UV-cured lacquer or the curing booth I'll pretty much stick with what I've been doing so far. Will look into stains a little more to move away from pigmented nitro but not sure how that's going to end up.

The main takeaway for me really is "consistency consistency consistency" while retaining the "charm" of the natural variations of a non-mass-produced instrument.

Regards,
Michael
- Merlin “Kermit” 6 multi, Merlin Gaia 6 fretless, Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)

BigDaddy

Post by BigDaddy » 05 Dec 2017, 09:32

Have you looked into aniline dyes Michael? I used to use them often on highly figured timber veneers and solid timber back when I was making decorative boxes. Mix with water or metho (my pref) and they penetrate exceptionally well. Done this way, there was no bleed into any clear oil based finish so the transparency was well preserved and therefore the figure in the timber. Worth a crack. I reckon I still have some if you would like a trial?
Basses: Sandberg, Fender, SUB & Squier
Amps & Cabs: Ashdown, Ampeg, Tecamp & Aguilar

drbass

Post by drbass » 05 Dec 2017, 10:31

BigDaddy wrote:
05 Dec 2017, 09:32
Have you looked into aniline dyes Michael? I used to use them often on highly figured timber veneers and solid timber back when I was making decorative boxes. Mix with water or metho (my pref) and they penetrate exceptionally well. Done this way, there was no bleed into any clear oil based finish so the transparency was well preserved and therefore the figure in the timber. Worth a crack. I reckon I still have some if you would like a trial?
Definitely something I was going to look into. I really want a "popping" vibrancy in the colour and not end up with some washed-out "meh" result. Where did you buy those dyes?

The other thing I forgot to mention in the previous reply is bleaching of wood (which may help with the pop factor of stains/dyes) - will definitely look into that.

Regards,
Michael

BigDaddy

Post by BigDaddy » 05 Dec 2017, 16:38

I can't remember where I bought them to be honest. I'll pull them out of the cabinet tonight to give u an idea of brands and types etc.
Basses: Sandberg, Fender, SUB & Squier
Amps & Cabs: Ashdown, Ampeg, Tecamp & Aguilar

drbass

Post by drbass » 05 Dec 2017, 16:59

BigDaddy wrote:
05 Dec 2017, 16:38
I can't remember where I bought them to be honest. I'll pull them out of the cabinet tonight to give u an idea of brands and types etc.
:thumbup:

sic608

Post by sic608 » 07 Dec 2017, 18:51

Thanks for sharing these tours Michael

I will admit it. I'm and probably will.always be a loyal warwick fan.

I sent off a question about a preamp :blah: and guess who wrote me back?

Hans! Yes the man himself! Can you believe it. So obviously I replied and got some insider info.

Talk about goin straight too the top. What a dude answering emails and all that sort of thing
Einstein was onced asked, "How does it feel to be the smartest man alive?" To which he repiled, "I dont know, you'll have to ask Nikola Tesla"