Countdown

Techniques, Instruction, Live Sound, Recording Equipment, GTG's etc...
User avatar
aphekgreg
Posts: 2327
Joined: 24 Nov 2009, 16:10
Location: Narara Central Coast
Contact:

Re: Countdown

Post by aphekgreg » 22 Nov 2017, 08:30

Frobie wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 23:53
aphekgreg wrote:
13 Nov 2017, 16:39
Watched the '83 episode today. I noticed I was hearing quite a bit of fretless, with the guys 'playing' fretted basses on the show. Didn't notice any real pattern to what was popular that year. A couple of Ibanez Musicians, a few Stingrays and Jazz Basses, an aluminium necked Kramer and I forget what else.

I did enjoy seeing the classic Peavey Mk III/EV TL stack. Were they 200 watts into 8 ohms and 300 watts into 4 ohms? That was such high power for the time. I wonder what happened to all those heads? They must be around somewhere, as they never seemed to die.

Noticed our own Juan Lauda's band The Expression (before he was in it) made the cut too.
I still have mine Greg..a Peavey MKIV head..210@4ohms..the full 300watts at 2ohms with an ext cab. I bought it new with the 1820 cab from Regent Music in the 80's..possibly 85 or 86 i think..both head and cab still going strong. I wish I had it in the mid 70's when my lead singer owned Southern Artists booking agency and organised an Elizabeth Oval all day concert with mainly local Adelaide bands plus Billy Thorpe and Skyhooks as special guests. I had this old Lenard 150watt head and 4x12 cab at the time and the old valves in the Lenard were running a pretty blue. Was a great gig anyway if any Adelaide musos remember it. If I had a Peavey MKIV back then I could have blown the hair off my legs..lol
Image
Alright. Good to know there's at least 1 around and accounted for. I always liked that they looked like they meant business. Didn't seem to be much concern about making them look pretty. They were designed to be workhorses and succeeded.

So is that can an 18 + two 10s? That must be heavy.
Greg

Ibanez Musician, MusicMan, Dingwall Z3, Rickenbacker, MIJ Fender Precision & Jazz, Warmoth/Musikraft P/J-bass, Danelectro Longhorn.
Traynor YBA300, MarkBass, GK1001RB2, Berg AE212, Hartke 4.5, '64 Fender Bassman
http://www.aphekstudio.com.au

User avatar
Frobie
Posts: 64
Joined: 08 Feb 2017, 22:16
Location: Adelaide

Re: Countdown

Post by Frobie » 22 Nov 2017, 09:35

aphekgreg wrote: Alright. Good to know there's at least 1 around and accounted for. I always liked that they looked like they meant business. Didn't seem to be much concern about making them look pretty. They were designed to be workhorses and succeeded.

So is that can an 18 + two 10s? That must be heavy.

************

Hi Greg..yep that darn 1820 is a dead weight. 18" Black Widow 2x10" Scorpions..I could never find anyone to help me in and out with it at gigs...the drummer always seems to have got lost somewhere lolll..inevitably I would be the last one loaded in or out with that cab..I believe 122 pounds in weight from memory. Thats why I use a lightweight Fender Rumble 500 Combo rig now with the added 115 Fender Rumble cab...both weigh in less than 17kg each (in other words both units are less than 40pounds each). Heaps easier on my old back these days after 50 years of gigging..lol
Peavey Dynabass 5, EBMM Stingray 5, RickenBacker 4003, Sterling byMusicMan S.U.B. Ray4, Fender CB100CE AcousticBass, Peavey MKIV 1820 Rig, Fender Rumble500 Combo w/115 Cab, Peavey T-40 Bass.
Getting paid for something you love doing is a dream fulfilled

User avatar
aphekgreg
Posts: 2327
Joined: 24 Nov 2009, 16:10
Location: Narara Central Coast
Contact:

Re: Countdown

Post by aphekgreg » 22 Nov 2017, 11:19

Frobie wrote:
22 Nov 2017, 09:35
aphekgreg wrote: Alright. Good to know there's at least 1 around and accounted for. I always liked that they looked like they meant business. Didn't seem to be much concern about making them look pretty. They were designed to be workhorses and succeeded.

So is that can an 18 + two 10s? That must be heavy.

************

Hi Greg..yep that darn 1820 is a dead weight. 18" Black Widow 2x10" Scorpions..I could never find anyone to help me in and out with it at gigs...the drummer always seems to have got lost somewhere lolll..inevitably I would be the last one loaded in or out with that cab..I believe 122 pounds in weight from memory. Thats why I use a lightweight Fender Rumble 500 Combo rig now with the added 115 Fender Rumble cab...both weigh in less than 17kg each (in other words both units are less than 40pounds each). Heaps easier on my old back these days after 50 years of gigging..lol
I recorded a band years ago, where the guitarist used a Marshall + Quad, but drove an original Mini. The other guys carted his gear for them. He said they wanted him to use a Marshall, so he said they'd need to carry it and did! I suspect he's the only person in the world, to pull that off.
Greg

Ibanez Musician, MusicMan, Dingwall Z3, Rickenbacker, MIJ Fender Precision & Jazz, Warmoth/Musikraft P/J-bass, Danelectro Longhorn.
Traynor YBA300, MarkBass, GK1001RB2, Berg AE212, Hartke 4.5, '64 Fender Bassman
http://www.aphekstudio.com.au

User avatar
narcdor
Posts: 3898
Joined: 15 Apr 2011, 16:36
Location: Melbourne

Re: Countdown

Post by narcdor » 22 Nov 2017, 11:20

My first upgrade to the little practice amp was a 2x10 + 1x18 cab. Sounded like arse on fire. Got it in the late 90s and looked like it was from the early 80s.
Strings: Fender, Framus, Warwick, Custom
Knobs: Mesa, MarkBass
Patch: TC Electronic, Aguilar, T-Rex

User avatar
veebass
Posts: 8523
Joined: 10 Apr 2011, 07:01

Re: Countdown

Post by veebass » 10 Dec 2017, 19:03

A Gibson Victory Bass on tonight- the Paul Kelly clip. Also I think i saw a Dan Armstrong lucite- Georgia Satellites?
Happiness is .......a Telebass and 500W.

User avatar
narcdor
Posts: 3898
Joined: 15 Apr 2011, 16:36
Location: Melbourne

Re: Countdown

Post by narcdor » 11 Dec 2017, 09:42

I'm really happy I worked out how to save these from iView for watching later on, so they don't get pulled before I get around to checking them out. I know what I'll be doing over the holiday break. There are lots of Extras on iView as well, interviews and performances.
Strings: Fender, Framus, Warwick, Custom
Knobs: Mesa, MarkBass
Patch: TC Electronic, Aguilar, T-Rex

User avatar
aphekgreg
Posts: 2327
Joined: 24 Nov 2009, 16:10
Location: Narara Central Coast
Contact:

Re: Countdown

Post by aphekgreg » 11 Dec 2017, 10:00

veebass wrote:
10 Dec 2017, 19:03
A Gibson Victory Bass on tonight- the Paul Kelly clip. Also I think i saw a Dan Armstrong lucite- Georgia Satellites?
No idea what the pickup was in the Victory? Looked similar to a Wal design. I did an EP with a band about 22 or 23 years ago, where the bassist had a fretless Victory, like that one. Sounded great, although from memory, weighed a ton.

Yeah, saw the Dan Armstrong. A few Jazz Basses and Stingrays. Yamaha seem to have been popular in '87 too.

What was Iva Davies wearing?
Greg

Ibanez Musician, MusicMan, Dingwall Z3, Rickenbacker, MIJ Fender Precision & Jazz, Warmoth/Musikraft P/J-bass, Danelectro Longhorn.
Traynor YBA300, MarkBass, GK1001RB2, Berg AE212, Hartke 4.5, '64 Fender Bassman
http://www.aphekstudio.com.au

User avatar
veebass
Posts: 8523
Joined: 10 Apr 2011, 07:01

Re: Countdown

Post by veebass » 11 Dec 2017, 10:14

aphekgreg wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 10:00
veebass wrote:
10 Dec 2017, 19:03
A Gibson Victory Bass on tonight- the Paul Kelly clip. Also I think i saw a Dan Armstrong lucite- Georgia Satellites?
No idea what the pickup was in the Victory? Looked similar to a Wal design. I did an EP with a band about 22 or 23 years ago, where the bassist had a fretless Victory, like that one. Sounded great, although from memory, weighed a ton.

Yeah, saw the Dan Armstrong. A few Jazz Basses and Stingrays. Yamaha seem to have been popular in '87 too.

What was Iva Davies wearing?
I think the pickup in the Victory was a DiMarzio of some type.
I don't know why he bothered- the standard pickup in them sounds huge. I have a passive single coil one and an active/ passive two pickup one. They are P Bass Killers but they are heavy.

I tried not to take in what Iva was wearing. :thumbdown
Happiness is .......a Telebass and 500W.

User avatar
aphekgreg
Posts: 2327
Joined: 24 Nov 2009, 16:10
Location: Narara Central Coast
Contact:

Re: Countdown

Post by aphekgreg » 11 Dec 2017, 10:53

veebass wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 10:14
aphekgreg wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 10:00
veebass wrote:
10 Dec 2017, 19:03
A Gibson Victory Bass on tonight- the Paul Kelly clip. Also I think i saw a Dan Armstrong lucite- Georgia Satellites?
No idea what the pickup was in the Victory? Looked similar to a Wal design. I did an EP with a band about 22 or 23 years ago, where the bassist had a fretless Victory, like that one. Sounded great, although from memory, weighed a ton.

Yeah, saw the Dan Armstrong. A few Jazz Basses and Stingrays. Yamaha seem to have been popular in '87 too.

What was Iva Davies wearing?
I think the pickup in the Victory was a DiMarzio of some type.
I don't know why he bothered- the standard pickup in them sounds huge. I have a passive single coil one and an active/ passive two pickup one. They are P Bass Killers but they are heavy.

I tried not to take in what Iva was wearing. :thumbdown
Dimarzio sounds right, now that you mention it. Definitely seen that model before.
Greg

Ibanez Musician, MusicMan, Dingwall Z3, Rickenbacker, MIJ Fender Precision & Jazz, Warmoth/Musikraft P/J-bass, Danelectro Longhorn.
Traynor YBA300, MarkBass, GK1001RB2, Berg AE212, Hartke 4.5, '64 Fender Bassman
http://www.aphekstudio.com.au

User avatar
BazzBass
Posts: 2813
Joined: 28 Sep 2014, 13:36
Location: Adelaide

Re: Countdown

Post by BazzBass » 11 Dec 2017, 11:52

Anyone remember Iva Davies' first band? before Flowers?

It was a 60s covers band called the Boys ??

Saw em in 1978 or 79 at an Adelaide Uni O Ball show or Skullduggery, wearing all black leather a la The Quarrymen.

Anyone else remember this or did I dream it?
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

User avatar
aphekgreg
Posts: 2327
Joined: 24 Nov 2009, 16:10
Location: Narara Central Coast
Contact:

Re: Countdown

Post by aphekgreg » 11 Dec 2017, 12:33

BazzBass wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 11:52
Anyone remember Iva Davies' first band? before Flowers?

It was a 60s covers band called the Boys ??

Saw em in 1978 or 79 at an Adelaide Uni O Ball show or Skullduggery, wearing all black leather a la The Quarrymen.

Anyone else remember this or did I dream it?
I don't know about earlier bands. What I do know though, is that we went to the same high school. I found out from the librarians, when I was in about years 8. They were quite proud of him, as he'd been a library prefect.
Greg

Ibanez Musician, MusicMan, Dingwall Z3, Rickenbacker, MIJ Fender Precision & Jazz, Warmoth/Musikraft P/J-bass, Danelectro Longhorn.
Traynor YBA300, MarkBass, GK1001RB2, Berg AE212, Hartke 4.5, '64 Fender Bassman
http://www.aphekstudio.com.au

User avatar
BazzBass
Posts: 2813
Joined: 28 Sep 2014, 13:36
Location: Adelaide

Re: Countdown

Post by BazzBass » 11 Dec 2017, 15:05

aphekgreg wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 12:33
They were quite proud of him, as he'd been a library prefect.
I bet THAT's not in his biography, not rock and roll enough haha :bat:
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

User avatar
aphekgreg
Posts: 2327
Joined: 24 Nov 2009, 16:10
Location: Narara Central Coast
Contact:

Re: Countdown

Post by aphekgreg » 11 Dec 2017, 16:32

BazzBass wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 15:05
aphekgreg wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 12:33
They were quite proud of him, as he'd been a library prefect.
I bet THAT's not in his biography, not rock and roll enough haha :bat:
He left at the end of year 10, to go to the Conservatorium High School, where I think he studied oboe. I believe he hated rock at that point in his life anyway.
Greg

Ibanez Musician, MusicMan, Dingwall Z3, Rickenbacker, MIJ Fender Precision & Jazz, Warmoth/Musikraft P/J-bass, Danelectro Longhorn.
Traynor YBA300, MarkBass, GK1001RB2, Berg AE212, Hartke 4.5, '64 Fender Bassman
http://www.aphekstudio.com.au

User avatar
OzzyGreg
Posts: 1610
Joined: 26 Apr 2011, 11:16
Location: Just south of Wollongong, NSW
Contact:

Re: Countdown

Post by OzzyGreg » 12 Dec 2017, 05:24

.
Well, after watching the re-runs of the 1984-85 episodes I can see why I pretty much stopped watching Countdown around that time.
A good tune here and there, yes, but way, WAY too much crap in general!
Can't quite let go of my basses. They're kind of addictive.

User avatar
aphekgreg
Posts: 2327
Joined: 24 Nov 2009, 16:10
Location: Narara Central Coast
Contact:

Re: Countdown

Post by aphekgreg » 12 Dec 2017, 06:26

OzzyGreg wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 05:24
.
Well, after watching the re-runs of the 1984-85 episodes I can see why I pretty much stopped watching Countdown around that time.
A good tune here and there, yes, but way, WAY too much crap in general!
I stopped around '84 too.
Greg

Ibanez Musician, MusicMan, Dingwall Z3, Rickenbacker, MIJ Fender Precision & Jazz, Warmoth/Musikraft P/J-bass, Danelectro Longhorn.
Traynor YBA300, MarkBass, GK1001RB2, Berg AE212, Hartke 4.5, '64 Fender Bassman
http://www.aphekstudio.com.au

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests