What's your main GIGGING gear?

Techniques, Instruction, Live Sound, Recording Equipment, GTG's etc...
BassLine

Re: What's your main GIGGING gear?

Post by BassLine » 24 Sep 2016, 08:45

StinkyPete wrote:Acoustic gigs: Stripped back originals and soul/Amy Housewine type stuff with female vocalist
Aggi TH500, Fishman Platinum Pro, Eden EX112, Kala Ubass
That sounds like a sweet rig!!! I bought a Kala Ubass recently.
Oz Bass Forum Moderator

Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

FunkDragon

Post by FunkDragon » 24 Sep 2016, 11:56

I only have the one lot of gear....

I usually gig 2 nights a week. Mostly covers bands. Sometimes pick up gigs with (Aussie) touring singer's.

Since 2008 my Spector Legend Custom has been my weapon of choice. Has handled everything I've needed to do with ease.
Am interested in trying an MTD at the moment though.... (as an alternative - NOT a replacement.. :p )

Pedal board :
A constant "always on" addition is my MarkBass SuperBooster DI pedal. (Bought this around 2006-ish?)
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe gets a fair bit of use in the cover band territory (have had the for a long time now too)
Boss 7 band EQ - used almost all the time (had that even longer - since the late 80's - bought from Brash's if memory serves me correctly!)
Polytune tuner

Since moving along my Trace rig years ago, my amps and cab's have varied a lot over the last 10 years...
Cab's of choice for a looong time was Hartke XL series.
Amps of choice for a long time has been Warwick. Dig their Cab's too, but too heavy for me to bother lugging now...
Have just gone back to a Genz Benz head this week. (Have been a big Genz fan for years).

Have been running an Ampeg Portaflex 4x10 for a few months now. Very happy with it. Great tone and pretty versatile.
Would still like to p/up a 4ohm neo 2x12 though for lighter weight and full power out of my head though, as the Portaflex is 8ohm.
It's ALL about the groove!
Spector - ReBop MM 4, & Legend Custom 5 :partydance:
Genz Benz GBE750
Ampeg Portaflex 4x10

groovinbass.com

Ben B

Post by Ben B » 24 Sep 2016, 14:13

I only have one gigging rig, it was a Peavey Tour 700 head and Peavey VB810 cab, but Ive just Moved to a Woogie 1000W Head, and Woogie 810.

I still have my Peavey Tour 700 head, so may put that in a smaller rack unit (was in with sansamp RBI/Line 6 Wireless/Korg Tuner/DBA Compressor/Drawer etc) and purchase one of the peavey VB410 cabs getting around, for a small rig if need be.

Basses are -

Not The Enemy - metal band - Jackson CBX Ellefson and Jackson Kellybird Ellefson 5 strings.

Thrown to the Wolves - Hardcore Band - Modified Fender MIM Jazz basses, 1 x black/1 x white.

Just switched to a pedal board too - Line 6 G30 Wireless, Boss TU3 Tuner/ODB Overdrive/BC1X Compressor pedal, and a passive DI box, may put my sansamp BDDI pedal back in and remove the OD pedal/DI box, but at the moment I'm still tweaking everything and seeing what works/what doesn't. First time playing tube amps in 10 years. Good to be back.

Its always a pain carrying an 810 around, but i wouldn't do anything less haha.
Fender MIM Jazz - 1 x Black/1 x Oly white
Jackson Ellefson CBXV - 1 x Black/1 x silver
ESP GC04 x2
1994 EBMM Stingray 4
Ibanez SRFF805
Ibanez SR655
Peavey VB3/Peavey VB810
Peavey Max 115 combo
Line 6 Wireless/Sansamp BDDI/TC Electronics PT3

Heath

Post by Heath » 24 Sep 2016, 18:14

every gig, no matter who im playing with is always;
TC RH450
TC RS212 (either one or two depending on venue)
Yamaha BBNE2
Ergo EUB
Pedalboard - Line6 G30, Boss Flanger, 3Leaf Youre Doom, TC Spectra Comp. Tc Strobo Stomp for the electric
Fishman Platinum Pro EQ for the Ergo

and i may add the Kubicki or BB425X
Cole Clarke LL5, Yamaha 425x, Warwick Corvette5, Fender CS 57P, Musicman Sabre, Sandberg Ida
Amps: Markbass, Epifani, Tc, Bergantino

http://cruzersnewcastle.wixsite.com/rock-band

mcrawfordmusic

Post by mcrawfordmusic » 24 Sep 2016, 19:24

My current rig is my 69' Fender P/J bass (heavily modded) running into an Aguilar TH500 and Bergantino HT112ER cab.

This rig handles about 90% of my gigs, but i will often bring out my Aguilar GS212 or Berg HD410 if i'm playing out of town, playing a large outdoor gig, doing a sub gig or I haven't played the venue before.

I do like to switch up basses sometimes, usually my Jazz bass or my 71' Ibanez EB3. Both with flats.
I'm doing a run of theatre gigs next week, "The Wedding Singer", so i'll be using my Yamaha TRB5II 5 string (with rounds) for that 80's vibe.

My usual bread and butter gig is playing covers at small local pubs and clubs, so the 112 is plenty for me, even standalone with no PA.

If i do play a venue with a large PA and can DI, i'll usually run a Radial passive DI or my GT "The Brick" Tube DI if i can be bothered to haul it along. I also have an Avalon U5, but i haven't had a chance to use it live yet.

I usually don't run pedals, but if i do it's usually just an OC-2 or B3K.

Matt

Paisley

Post by Paisley » 27 Sep 2016, 09:21

Rig depends on the gig largely; if I need a Fiver, it's usually either a Spector Euro or a Yamaha BBN-5A; if I can get away with a 4 on the job, it'll always be my '64 P-Bass (w/'69 Jazz neck), and maybe a Jerry Jones Longhorn w/flats for a bit more tubbiness. Main Fretlesses are either a G&L L-2500 or a late '70s Ibanez Roadster. If the gig is suitable, I'll sometimes bring a Ergo 5 String EUB as well & switch between that & the Bass.

Amp for general gigs is mainly an Eden WT-550 these days, but that's mostly because my Acoustic 320 Head seems to have dropped a cap in one of the channels (first issue I've had with it in 34 years!), so it needs to head off to the Doctors at some point. For any Old Skool dates, I'll use an Ashdown ABM-900; there's also a couple of Ampeg Combos for smaller gigs. Cab is usually either a Epifani UL2-310 or a Markbass Classic 610; sometimes both together for bigger gigs, as they actually compliment each other well.

I have a pedalboard with a stash of EBS pedals, but the truth is they hardly get touched most of the time. I run the Compressor always on, & sometimes might kick in the Filter & Octaver to simulate a Synth Bass sound; but aside from that, the board does little else except allow me to switch between the Bass & EUB.
BASSES: Spector; Fender; Yamaha; G&L; Alembic; Ibanez; Jerry Jones; Danelectro; Rickenbacker; Ergo; ESP; Kraken; DeArmond.
AMPS: Acoustic; Ashdown; Ampeg; Eden; Epifani; Markbass

jezzamac

Post by jezzamac » 27 Sep 2016, 11:07

Amp: Markbass CMD121P (+ occasional no-name 4x10 extension - it sounds massive but is very heavy)
Bass: Up until recently - Squier Classic Vibe jazz modded with stacked tone (62 plate) but now G&L Tribute SB2.
Plus a moveable assortment of pedals.

I tend not to take my old Fender and Maton out to pubs anymore.
Fender '78 Precision, Squier CV Jazz, Maton JBIV, Ibanez SR405, G&L Tribute SB2, Ashbory and Markbass CMD121P, Fender Rumble V# 12" cab, GK 400RB, No-name 4x10 cab
funKtus, Samurai Trash, Exploding Happiness, Night Radio (no longer).

jcburn

Post by jcburn » 28 Sep 2016, 09:56

I only really have one rig. My main band gigs are either top 40 rock covers or Metallica tribute.

G&L L2000 (1 red, 1 blue) - G90 wireless - Aguilar Agro - Boss Bass EQ - MXR Bass Crybaby - MXR M80 DI+ - Warwick Quad VI amp - 2 x Ashdown ABM cabs. Ernie Ball Slinky rounds 105-50, the newer the better!

The Agro is for mild to medium overdrive, nearly always on. It does compress nicely too. The Bass EQ for nips and tucks.

The MXR is an interesting one. People complain about the colour switch having too much of a mid scoop. The main culprit is a notch at 800hz. The benefit of the colour switch to me is a steep EQ roll off at about 80hz and 5khz that cleans up my sound a heap. I just bump some 800hz back in via the EQ to my taste.

The MXR also has a nice clean DI that I sometimes use to FOH if a sound guy doesn't like taking it from my amp head (I've found some sound guts just don't like doing this).

Constant merry go round of overdrive pedals!
'97 G&L L2000. '95 G&L L2000. Fender Frank Bello. Yamaha TRB4
Warwick Quad VI. Warwick Tubepath 5.1. Hartke LH500.
Ashdown ABM 410 x 2
Line 6 G30. Dunlop Bass Crybaby Wah. EBS Billy Sheehan Dlx. DSM Noisemaker OCS. BOSS Bass EQ.

slave

Post by slave » 28 Sep 2016, 12:17

I play original music exclusively these days, think rock / stoner-rock sorta stuff

I almost always take the same gear no matter where I'm playing.
Maton JB4 and/or Rick 4003, Ampeg SVT2 nonpro, Berg NV412, Pedalboard
Yes, Í even take the Berg fridge to small *be quiet* art house gigs.

I'll occasionally bring some optional stuff depending on the venue, like cab/vocal mics, PA stuff, recorder etc.
When the SVT is getting serviced, my Ampeg V4 takes charge.

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 28 Sep 2016, 12:19

Blues band - Passive bird, TH350 lunchbox, 1x10" + 1x12" stacked up.
I could probably use some sort of OD pedal, but the TH does a good job of that so it's just bass into amp.

Church (rare these days) - Passive 6 or fretless 5, lunchbox, 10 or 12 cab.

I go to a jazz jam almost every Wed night. The passive 6 usually goes. House rig there.
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - https://www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/

balzac

Post by balzac » 28 Sep 2016, 14:23

These days, the bass is a toss-up between the Fender Starcaster and the Maurizio Uber-J - both are great to play and cover a good range of tones

Main rig for band gigs is Radial Tonebone DI with Mooer octave & dirt, Boss chorus and Digitech synth in the loop into EA Micro into EA Wizzy 112 with one or two Bill Fitzmaurice Jack 110s depending on the size of the room. For duo gigs or when backline's provided, I just go direct from a Tech 21 Bass Flyrig.

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 29 Sep 2016, 21:06

balzac wrote:These days, the bass is a toss-up between the Fender Starcaster and the Maurizio Uber-J
There's 2 basses I'd LOVE to see some pics of. :hyper:
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - https://www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 29 Sep 2016, 22:19

FunkDragon wrote:Would still like to p/up a 4ohm neo 2x12 though for lighter weight and full power out of my head though, as the Portaflex 4x10 is 8ohm.
Check out the Bergantino 2x12 cabs. AE, CN & HDN sound great & are lightweight 21kg.
Genz 212 cabs are real nice too.
Oz Bass Forum Moderator

FunkDragon

Post by FunkDragon » 30 Sep 2016, 00:40

BassLine wrote:
FunkDragon wrote:Would still like to p/up a 4ohm neo 2x12 though for lighter weight and full power out of my head though, as the Portaflex 4x10 is 8ohm.
Check out the Bergantino 2x12 cabs. AE, CN & HDN sound great & are lightweight 21kg.
Genz 212 cabs are real nice too.
Yes, a Genz 2x12 is on the wanted list - hard to find these days though...

Haven't had the opportunity to check out a Berg cab yet. Am intrigued though... :)
It's ALL about the groove!
Spector - ReBop MM 4, & Legend Custom 5 :partydance:
Genz Benz GBE750
Ampeg Portaflex 4x10

groovinbass.com

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 30 Sep 2016, 08:47

FunkDragon wrote:Yes, a Genz 2x12 is on the wanted list - hard to find these days though...

Haven't had the opportunity to check out a Berg cab yet. Am intrigued though... :)

I've played the Genz head & 212 at a mates place. Great sound. But having the Berg took it to another level.

Maybe put a feeler out to try one in the Bris/Sunshine coast area at a gig/rehearsal/etc. Many obliging OBFers (hehe) around.

Edit: AE212 Brisbane.
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=20878
Oz Bass Forum Moderator