Band PA?

Techniques, Instruction, Live Sound, Recording Equipment, GTG's etc...
Aussie Mark

Re: Band PA?

Post by Aussie Mark » 27 Jun 2011, 12:27

If your band can afford it, the above suggestion is excellent. However, not all venues with in-house PAs will let people other than their in-house sound guy touch the mixer.

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

Ben_Dougherty

Post by Ben_Dougherty » 27 Jun 2011, 18:23

Regarding Vocals, if you dont like paying em, then learn to sing :)

Regarding sound guy. we mix onstage. not ideal, and has taken a wile to learn how to do it well (we now mix better than most sound guys), but it saves us having a sound guy. one less mouth to feed and find a bed for. not to mention sound guys tend to drink the house down.

I own all the PA gear in our band inc stands leads etc as well as my bass rig.
I get a larger cut for supplying the PA.
It works very well I upgrade each piece every 5 years. repair things as needed. and buy leads and things as needed. We can now do almost any size gig because after 3 upgrades we are running pretty high-end gear.

also i do not sell the old gear. instead i lease it to a local school and hire the rest and so this funds further upgrades.

I end up making a bit extra and i am happy with the money to time ratio.

the other thing is that the gear is available to the band 100% of the time. and if we have a breakdown i can always go and get the stuff from the school for the weekend.

apell

Post by apell » 28 Jun 2011, 14:31

With our band we all chipped in using gig money to buy our small PA. As we’ve been more or less gigging weekly for almost 2 years now it’s been a great investment as most our gigs have been at venues with no PA. As a jazz/funk/soul band we are generally are playing at restaurants, cafes and weddings etc we’ve probably only done a handful of gigs without it. Hiring a PA every week would eat into our regular gig fees at these smaller venues. We also charge extra for the PA at private gigs which is a nice bonus that is shared amongst the band members. So it’s more than paid for itself.

The PA is just 2 powered Wharfdale speakers and a small mixer that is used for vocals, percussion (sometimes) and when we play with a keyboard player they also sometimes use it if they’re not using their own amp. The singer bought his own mic and stand so that’s his own equipment.

While our original keyboard player left last year he still has the option to use it of he wants and we’ve jammed at parties a few times since with him using the PA. Plus other band members including myself have used the PA for other side project gigs and parties etc.
http://www.apellmusic.com - bass guitar electronica
http://www.trumpetjazzband.com.au - jazz/funk/soul
http://www.bassguitarlessons.com.au - bass lessons melbourne

ozrider

Post by ozrider » 16 Jul 2018, 19:11

apell wrote:
28 Jun 2011, 14:31
With our band we all chipped in using gig money to buy our small PA. As we’ve been more or less gigging weekly for almost 2 years now it’s been a great investment as most our gigs have been at venues with no PA. As a jazz/funk/soul band we are generally are playing at restaurants, cafes and weddings etc we’ve probably only done a handful of gigs without it. Hiring a PA every week would eat into our regular gig fees at these smaller venues. We also charge extra for the PA at private gigs which is a nice bonus that is shared amongst the band members. So it’s more than paid for itself.

The PA is just 2 powered Wharfdale speakers and a small mixer that is used for vocals, percussion (sometimes) and when we play with a keyboard player they also sometimes use it if they’re not using their own amp. The singer bought his own mic and stand so that’s his own equipment.

While our original keyboard player left last year he still has the option to use it of he wants and we’ve jammed at parties a few times since with him using the PA. Plus other band members including myself have used the PA for other side project gigs and parties etc.
Found this old thread. I am now thinking about a PA for my new band that is really for quieter gigs, like the above poster, private parties, cafes, restaurants. It makes sense for the type of band we are. So what are people's thoughts nowadays with all the latest tech available? I'm sure there must be a small PA option that is quite modular these days

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 16 Jul 2018, 20:59

Recent update. Our drummer has bought some good powered foh speakers, lights, etc and I had a small mixer. So far it's working well and we throw him an extra $50 for bringing the speakers, stands, cables and lights. For the size gigs we're doing it's perfect.
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - https://www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 17 Jul 2018, 03:09

every venure I've played this past year has had a house PA and basic lights as a minimum. And we are just starting out , playing all originals so we are at the bottom of the venue scale of things, I don't see a need for one in my situation. What venue doesn't have a setup these days?
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

bigswifty

Post by bigswifty » 17 Jul 2018, 18:28

Wow, go you Bazz, that's great! A quick glance at the calendar and it looks like 3 out of 9 gigs this month have their own setup. That setup varies from a full house PA and operator down to speakers and a power amp that you plug your own desk into.

Last month it was 2 out of 7.

So lots of our venues have nothing. Actually I'm thinking some venues seem to begrudge us floorspace for that matter.

Mike
BazzBass wrote:
17 Jul 2018, 03:09
every venure I've played this past year has had a house PA and basic lights as a minimum. And we are just starting out , playing all originals so we are at the bottom of the venue scale of things, I don't see a need for one in my situation. What venue doesn't have a setup these days?
I'm a mean offloading machine!

ozrider

Post by ozrider » 17 Jul 2018, 19:06

bigswifty wrote:
17 Jul 2018, 18:28
Wow, go you Bazz, that's great! A quick glance at the calendar and it looks like 3 out of 9 gigs this month have their own setup. That setup varies from a full house PA and operator down to speakers and a power amp that you plug your own desk into.

So lots of our venues have nothing. Actually I'm thinking some venues seem to begrudge us floorspace for that matter.

Mike
BazzBass wrote:
This is where I am. Having gone to a small two piece plus two vocalists, having come down from a 6 piece with full drums etc to address the size issue. Some cities are better than others, I think melbs was pretty good for pa, but I don't think the same applies in perth

bigswifty

Post by bigswifty » 17 Jul 2018, 22:11

ozrider wrote:
17 Jul 2018, 19:06
bigswifty wrote:
17 Jul 2018, 18:28

Mike
BazzBass wrote:
This is where I am. Having gone to a small two piece plus two vocalists, having come down from a 6 piece with full drums etc to address the size issue. Some cities are better than others, I think melbs was pretty good for pa, but I don't think the same applies in perth
And it goes without saying that Sydney (as in so many things) is utterly cr@p.
I'm a mean offloading machine!

FunkyJase

Post by FunkyJase » 18 Jul 2018, 12:41

Ive kind of collected bits and pieces over the years to have a PA that would work. Sometimes borrowing what I need but these days we have a fairly decent and compact system - 3 x RCF 15s and an Allen & Heath Mixer. I also have a little Mackie Mix 8 desk for cafes etc.

The sort of stuff we do sounds better at lower volumes so it's really only the vocals and maybe a little bit of kick that we need to amplify but even then the kick is just if the drummer brings his "bop" kit with a little 16inch kick...

Sometimes we only use 2 speakers - one for the crowd and one for us...

It has been run hard before though and handles it nicely.

As far as who should own it, I feel it's the responsibility of whoever is the most invested in the band. No point in the bass player owning it if they're not really the band leader as such.
"If only you could have seen what I've seen with your eyes"
Roy Batty

Sandberg VS4, 57RI P Bass, Fretless PJ Bass, Frankenbass PJ, & 75' Fender Jazz Rip Off.

Markbass Big Bang, AG TH500, Bassman 115 Pro, Eden EX112, Lab Sys 212

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 18 Jul 2018, 13:52

I think the reason why the Adelaide pubs have house PAs is mainly coz only a few pubs have live music, and they are the ones that are serious about live music so they have a stage, lights and PA. All the other pubs ripped out their stages, pool tables and dart boards decades ago when polkies came in.
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

ozrider

Post by ozrider » 18 Jul 2018, 17:11

FunkyJase wrote:
18 Jul 2018, 12:41
Ive kind of collected bits and pieces over the years to have a PA that would work. Sometimes borrowing what I need but these days we have a fairly decent and compact system - 3 x RCF 15s and an Allen & Heath Mixer. I also have a little Mackie Mix 8 desk for cafes etc.

The sort of stuff we do sounds better at lower volumes so it's really only the vocals and maybe a little bit of kick that we need to amplify but even then the kick is just if the drummer brings his "bop" kit with a little 16inch kick...

As far as who should own it, I feel it's the responsibility of whoever is the most invested in the band. No point in the bass player owning it if they're not really the band leader as such.
I have always been the Band leader-sigh... my new Band isn’t loud either so I just want to buy something compact like my berg cabs are.

FunkyJase

Post by FunkyJase » 18 Jul 2018, 17:54

ozrider wrote:
18 Jul 2018, 17:11
FunkyJase wrote:
18 Jul 2018, 12:41

I have always been the Band leader-sigh... my new Band isn’t loud either so I just want to buy something compact like my berg cabs are.
Ha cool. For me two RCF 15s and a briefcase full of cables and mixer fits just fine :-)
"If only you could have seen what I've seen with your eyes"
Roy Batty

Sandberg VS4, 57RI P Bass, Fretless PJ Bass, Frankenbass PJ, & 75' Fender Jazz Rip Off.

Markbass Big Bang, AG TH500, Bassman 115 Pro, Eden EX112, Lab Sys 212

ozrider

Post by ozrider » 18 Jul 2018, 21:44

I'm getting pretty convinced to buy a pa now, I want modular as possible. So two powered speakers like the 15s... but smaller maybe, for cafe gigs. No subwoofer, but just a mixer. Is it possible to set the speakers just behind the vocalist so no need for a foldback?

ozrider

Post by ozrider » 18 Jul 2018, 21:44

ozrider wrote:
18 Jul 2018, 21:44
I'm getting pretty convinced to buy a pa now, I want modular as possible. So two powered speakers like the 15s... but smaller maybe, for cafe gigs. No subwoofer, but just a mixer. Is it possible to set the speakers just behind the vocalist so no need for a foldback?
EDIT: that will bleed into the mics right :banghead: