The "Not a Slappa" build

Building, Modding, Setup and Repair
BazzOnBass

Re: The "Not a Slappa" build

Post by BazzOnBass » 12 Jul 2012, 11:33

All good Pilbara, I chuckled. :)
Washburn Force 8, Ibanez Acoustic/Elec, Fender MIA Precision, Michael Tobias 5 pre Gibson, MTD Artist, for gigs Mailloux #008.

Amps: LabSys 400B, GK MB500, TC Electronics RH500, Peavey TNT 130 Combo
Cabs: Ampeg SVT-410HLF Classic, Peavey 410

shporsche

Post by shporsche » 13 Jul 2012, 10:04

Pilbara ha ha I assumed that.
Just wanted to put it out there that drawing is rough as it gets.

I started designing the body last night in full scale, the lower horn is not easy to make it look right and flow well. There are a few more slight variants I will draw up this evening.

I will update tonight.

BazzOnBass

Post by BazzOnBass » 14 Jul 2012, 23:49

Sean sent me the drawings (body only), early days yet, lots of tweaking still to be done but getting close to what I'm after.
Washburn Force 8, Ibanez Acoustic/Elec, Fender MIA Precision, Michael Tobias 5 pre Gibson, MTD Artist, for gigs Mailloux #008.

shporsche

Post by shporsche » 16 Jul 2012, 11:02

Yeah sorry didnt post up any of the pics until I have confirmed something close to what were are doing.

Peter TRB

Post by Peter TRB » 17 Jul 2012, 10:16

Hi,

Can I suggest you look at the F bass design and build.Incidently not far from the drawings. These basses are designed for comfort, whether the neck radius, balance or scale length. Alain Caron has had a large part to play in the design so you can see the standard is very high for his playing requirements. I am fortunate enough to make this comparison with a range of other high end basses- LEJs , Fodera, TRBS, Roscoes, Daniel Fernadez basses and a few others.
In terms of electronics - OB3 great , Demeter roscoe onboard great. Mike pope great and some bartolinis. The ob3 is a good choice IMO.
Good luck,
Peter
PS - The F bass is very versatile but a slap machine. ;)

BazzOnBass

Post by BazzOnBass » 17 Jul 2012, 11:36

Cheers Peter. http://www.fbass.com/models

Well blow me down they've flogged my design concept, bar stewards! Thanks for the heads up though, didn't really think my idea was the first of/one of a kind.

Checking out a couple of vids with Michael Tobias and it is very interesting to hear him talk about how he chooses the wood to suit the sound one is after. He mentions that Alembic go the opposite way and try to take the wood out of the equation and instead, use the electronics to achieve the desired tonal qualities.

My idea is to use both to create THAT sound what I'm after, well that's the plan anyways... I'm always learning, always having my eyes opened and keen to continue to do so. *thumbs up*

BazzOnBass

Post by BazzOnBass » 01 Aug 2015, 13:57

....time ticks on. No progress apart from picking out the woods and mulling over design concepts.

Looking at a headless system alla Kubicki Factor bass style.

Will this build ever happen?
One day...

RedVee

Post by RedVee » 01 Aug 2015, 22:31

I was wondering about headless from your post trying to workout the tuner config. Also pushes the bridge back on the body etc

Looking forward to following this
Ibanez AEB10-BK; Feider P Bass; Challenge Bass; T'Bird Goth; Gibson T’Bird
Fender Rumble 15; Eminar Amps x2; Elfa 410 cab; GK CX115 cab; Zoom B2.1u & B3

BazzOnBass

Post by BazzOnBass » 26 Jul 2018, 13:13

....tick tock and the latest update.
Sean's no longer building. Taken awhile but I've finally got the wood including rosewood fretboard plus truss and carbon fibre rods delivered from him. All sourced from Stewmac apparently.

That was earlier this year and I've since picked up these Hipshot tuners and EMGX PJ pups all from this forum. Thank you.

I contacted Phil Mailloux but he's too busy and can't start on a new build until the New Year. Suggested I talk to DrBass, sorry I've not done so because I found Fretco and Brian West (in the Lutherie thread here) being much closer to me. Thus, I've spoken with Brian and in the coming few weeks I'll be taking what I have for the build for him to assess and talk numbers.

The build is now looking like turning into a Fenderesque PJ clone but until the wood shavings start flying, all bets are off. Upshot is that progress is being made on getting that 2nd custom build into the stable. :thumbup:

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 26 Jul 2018, 15:40

Now that is some patience, good to see it’s moving again!
Strings: Fender, Custom, Framus, Warwick
Knobs: Mesa, MarkBass
Cones: Baer
Patch: TC Electronic, Aguilar

drbass

Post by drbass » 14 Aug 2018, 10:26

BazzOnBass wrote:
26 Jul 2018, 13:13
....tick tock and the latest update.
Sean's no longer building. Taken awhile but I've finally got the wood including rosewood fretboard plus truss and carbon fibre rods delivered from him. All sourced from Stewmac apparently.

That was earlier this year and I've since picked up these Hipshot tuners and EMGX PJ pups all from this forum. Thank you.

I contacted Phil Mailloux but he's too busy and can't start on a new build until the New Year. Suggested I talk to DrBass, sorry I've not done so because I found Fretco and Brian West (in the Lutherie thread here) being much closer to me. Thus, I've spoken with Brian and in the coming few weeks I'll be taking what I have for the build for him to assess and talk numbers.

The build is now looking like turning into a Fenderesque PJ clone but until the wood shavings start flying, all bets are off. Upshot is that progress is being made on getting that 2nd custom build into the stable. :thumbup:
Only just saw this.

Close is good - I think it is important (if at all possible anyway) to be able to have not just regular updates but to catch up and get feedback (something I didn't have for the Q that's going to Sydney in a couple of weeks).

Would love to see actual pictures because the original ones don't seem to be available any more - keep us updated.

Regards,
Michael
- Merlin “Kermit” 6 multi, Merlin Gaia 6 fretless, Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3

BazzOnBass

Post by BazzOnBass » 20 Aug 2018, 15:25

Cheers Michael,

Yeah, Photobucket put a spanner in the works, grumble grumble... fixing over a decade of pic links is just a PITA and low priority for now.

Work has me pinned down too, might be a few weeks longer before I can "escape" to see Brian.

FunkyJase

Post by FunkyJase » 21 Aug 2018, 14:18

Im late to the party but those specs at the start are pretty much my favorite go-to specs.
i would slap that thing like a red-headed step child ;-)

Cant wait to see it :-)
"If only you could have seen what I've seen with your eyes"
Roy Batty

Sandberg VS4, 57RI P Bass, Fretless PJ Bass, Frankenbass PJ, & 75' Fender Jazz Rip Off.

Markbass Big Bang, AG TH500, Bassman 115 Pro, Eden EX112, Lab Sys 212