74 Musicmaster bridge replacement

Building, Modding, Setup and Repair
tiltbell

74 Musicmaster bridge replacement

Post by tiltbell » 13 Sep 2018, 14:21

Hi all,
I have recently got my hands on a 1974 Musicmaster that has had the bridge replaced with a Schaller roller.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fender-Musi ... 3505719856
The roller bridge was mounted terribly, well off centre from the middle of the neck. I have a Bronco bridge which is cosmetically very similar but the rear two screw holes don't mount up (the original bridges have four rear screw mounts, the Bronco one only two). I also have a Mustang bridge in my possession.
My conundrum is:
Do I just use the Bronco bridge as a replacement as it is the closest option cosmetically (the two saddle style is not great but not the worst) or do I use the Mustang bridge and have four saddle control over string height and intonation? The Mustang bridge is only string through body and I would have to drill for the ferrules. Would this effect the value of the instrument or as it's a Musicmaster (and what was considered the lowest price option from Fender at the time) not have a huge impact? Either way I am not going to have it 100% original....I am a little torn.
1980 Rickenbacker 4001 burgundyglo
Epiphone Thunderbird Classic Pro 4
Swr Baby Blue ii & extension cab/Labsystems VP300
Several Projects half completed...

narcdor

Re: 74 Musicmaster bridge replacement

Post by narcdor » 13 Sep 2018, 14:38

I’d go bronco, drilling holes for the mounting is less invasive than the through body mustang, and it already has been messed with on the front but not the back so the damage is done to resale. If you find a music master bridge in future you can drop it in instead to cover it all up.
Strings: Fender, Custom, Framus, Warwick
Knobs: Mesa, MarkBass
Cones: Baer
Patch: TC Electronic, Aguilar

tiltbell

Post by tiltbell » 13 Sep 2018, 15:19

That's what I was thinking. I mean, it would be nice to have the Mustang bridge on but it would be a very invasive install.
1980 Rickenbacker 4001 burgundyglo
Epiphone Thunderbird Classic Pro 4
Swr Baby Blue ii & extension cab/Labsystems VP300
Several Projects half completed...

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 14 Sep 2018, 08:32

I gotta say, I know that bridge looks a little dicky, but it's miles ahead of the standard one in terms of adjustment and stability. If I were you I'd keep it for now and just keep your eye out for a musicmaster bridge.
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - https://www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/