Set up

Building, Modding, Setup and Repair
sic608

Set up

Post by sic608 » 07 May 2018, 19:57

I so a video of a luthier and his bass and it had that brupee bite when u dig in, that i am now obsessing about. I do get it on a bass or 2 of mine. He mentioned that that uts mostly with the setup of said bass.

I was wondering if anyone here knows the best way to achieve this so i dont need to dig in as much too get it.

String types etc. I assume action will play apart?

I think its a good question 4 dr bass as when i tried your basses at the gtg they had it in spades

Any thoughts most welcome
Einstein was onced asked, "How does it feel to be the smartest man alive?" To which he repiled, "I dont know, you'll have to ask Nikola Tesla"

drbass

Re: Set up

Post by drbass » 08 May 2018, 08:41

sic608 wrote:
07 May 2018, 19:57
I so a video of a luthier and his bass and it had that brupee bite when u dig in, that i am now obsessing about. I do get it on a bass or 2 of mine. He mentioned that that uts mostly with the setup of said bass.

I was wondering if anyone here knows the best way to achieve this so i dont need to dig in as much too get it.

String types etc. I assume action will play apart?

I think its a good question 4 dr bass as when i tried your basses at the gtg they had it in spades

Any thoughts most welcome
Hi Andrew,

I'm not doing anything particularly special. I have my personal setup preferences that may play a role, don't know, but I certainly don't aim for the grunge. Here's what I do:
1) set up neck as straight as possible;
2) adjust action (which is done with the neck relief and the bridge height adjustment) so that I get a clean ring when plugged (pretty) lightly, some light fret buzz when playing normally and a modest amount of buzz when digging in. This is clearly audible when played acoustically but not that much when played through an amp;
3) adjust pickup height according to Sheldon's gospel (google Dingwall bass setup videos - there's a whole series with great tips).

That's really it. I think the choice of pickups and electronics plays a pretty big part here as well.
I've come to love Delano pickups because (when setup as outlined above) they are pretty clean with a light touch but go all grungy when you dig in - there's a little bit of overloading happening which results in exactly what you heard last year. I've found this for the MC5 HE (that's the MusicMan-style) and for the PC5 HE (P-bass - there is an amazing amount of that throaty growl when you dig in).
And for me the Delanos work very well with the Nordstrand pre (I've been using the 3b-3), very complementary.

The Nordstrand FP3 pickups (which are basically Dingwall pickups) with the Glockenklang pre (so it's basically the electronics you find in a typical Canadian Dingwall) also give some growl but it's not quite as "nice" (at leat to my ears) as the Delano/Nordstrand combination.

Strings are important as well. I used to have DR HiBeams on all basses - clear as hell, plenty definition, very happy with those. Plus they are quite flexible which makes them easy to play.
Then I read about the DR PureBlues which are nickels, and I really dig (no pun intended) those a lot more. A tad less top end but a lot more growl than the HiBeams - yet very defined as well.

There you go - might just be a combination of factors here but I don't set out to make a "clean and defined yet also able to be growly" bass.

And here's the big can of worms: does timber make a difference? I maintain my position: if it does it's a very small part.

Anyway, that's my view. Looking forward to other's experiences.

Regards,
Michael
- Merlin “Kermit” 6 multi, Merlin Gaia 6 fretless, Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3

bigswifty

Post by bigswifty » 08 May 2018, 10:20

Hey Michael, how do you find the tension of the DR PureBlues compared to the HiBeams? I like the sound of HiBeams but find they are very floppy and there is either (a) more buzz than I'm happy with (I dislike buzz) or (b) can't get the action as low as I'd like. Also they are way too soft for me if I downtune even a semitone (which is 90% of my gigs). Was wondering if the PureBlues are any better?
Mike
I'm a mean offloading machine!

drbass

Post by drbass » 08 May 2018, 10:22

bigswifty wrote:
08 May 2018, 10:20
Hey Michael, how do you find the tension of the DR PureBlues compared to the HiBeams? I like the sound of HiBeams but find they are very floppy and there is either (a) more buzz than I'm happy with (I dislike buzz) or (b) can't get the action as low as I'd like. Also they are way too soft for me if I downtune even a semitone (which is 90% of my gigs). Was wondering if the PureBlues are any better?
Mike
Hi Mike,

I find them very similar - I like "soft" strings so they're perfect for me which means they're not what you're after.

Regards,
Michael
- Merlin “Kermit” 6 multi, Merlin Gaia 6 fretless, Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3

bigswifty

Post by bigswifty » 08 May 2018, 12:53

Cool, thanks for the reply mate.
M
drbass wrote:
08 May 2018, 10:22
bigswifty wrote:
08 May 2018, 10:20
Mike
Hi Mike,

I find them very similar - I like "soft" strings so they're perfect for me which means they're not what you're after.

Regards,
Michael
I'm a mean offloading machine!

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 08 May 2018, 14:43

hey sic608, can u post a link to the vid you saw?

coz I have no idea what " that brupee bite when u dig in" sounds like hehe

someone might have some ideas once they've heard what tone you're after.
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

sic608

Post by sic608 » 08 May 2018, 16:34

Thanks Michael for the insight

I was thinking maybe a set of string without a high tension

Here is the video. 3:54 there abouts for where they're talking about it

Einstein was onced asked, "How does it feel to be the smartest man alive?" To which he repiled, "I dont know, you'll have to ask Nikola Tesla"