Custom Neck

Building, Modding, Setup and Repair
Paisley

Custom Neck

Post by Paisley » 29 Apr 2018, 23:00

Anyone here in Melbourne ever had a custom neck built?

Trying to get a rough idea what sort of costs I’d be looking at to get a Fretless Neck made from Ovangkol (or something similar) with an ebony fingerboard.
BASSES: Spector; Fender; Yamaha; G&L; Alembic; Ibanez; Jerry Jones; Danelectro; Rickenbacker; Ergo; ESP; Kraken; DeArmond.
AMPS: Acoustic; Ashdown; Ampeg; Eden; Epifani; Markbass

slowlearner

Re: Custom Neck

Post by slowlearner » 30 Apr 2018, 01:08

You talking a fender style neck?
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - https://www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/

Paisley

Post by Paisley » 30 Apr 2018, 07:54

slowlearner wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 01:08
You talking a fender style neck?
No, more of a 5 string Warwick design, albeit with a slightly different profile.
BASSES: Spector; Fender; Yamaha; G&L; Alembic; Ibanez; Jerry Jones; Danelectro; Rickenbacker; Ergo; ESP; Kraken; DeArmond.

slashin_velvet

Post by slashin_velvet » 30 Apr 2018, 08:47

Considered warmoth?

Paisley

Post by Paisley » 30 Apr 2018, 10:07

slashin_velvet wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 08:47
Considered warmoth?
Interesting you mentioned that; I was just looking them up this morning. I originally thought that Warmoth mainly did necks that were compatible with Fenders, which does seem to be the case; however they list a number of Basses that aren't compatible with their neck, & Warwick isn't listed there (whether they may be compatible, or just that they haven't bothered to list any non F type Instruments I don't know, but it might be worth looking into).

The other thing is though, I'm after a specific neck profile; probably the safest way to achieve that is to have one made from scratch locally.
:yep

basshack

Post by basshack » 30 Apr 2018, 10:18

^ And that's where somewhere like MSGM comes into play. David and Rob can teach you how to build a neck that fits the bass you have and the shape you want. Good place to start if you haven't got any experience with woodworking. They have all the tools, will know where to get the timber you want to use and have the knowledge to get you to the end point.
><((((º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... >((((º>

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 30 Apr 2018, 11:35

^ This. Failing that they can just build you one.
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - https://www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/

slashin_velvet

Post by slashin_velvet » 30 Apr 2018, 16:11

basshack wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 10:18
^ And that's where somewhere like MSGM comes into play. David and Rob can teach you how to build a neck that fits the bass you have and the shape you want. Good place to start if you haven't got any experience with woodworking. They have all the tools, will know where to get the timber you want to use and have the knowledge to get you to the end point.
Also maybe worth not discounting the option of both?

If you can find a neck that fits the neck pocket appropriately, then just order the fattest shape they offer. Take that bad boy to msgm, and let them teach you how to whittle that down to the shape you want. I'm not really sure if Warmoth basses will fit a warwick neck pocket, but can recommend the unofficial warmoth forum as a handy place to ask questions.

I did that with my second warmoth build where i wanted to get more into woodwork. Bought a tele but picked a fatter neck profile and custom carved a shape with spokeshave and sandpaper. Easier than doing it from a square blank for a first attempt.

Paisley

Post by Paisley » 30 Apr 2018, 23:40

Thanks for the tips guys; great stuff! :thumbup:

Yeah, the MSGM Is great option; unfortunately I would have to be probably the worst woodworker I can think of! :D I subscribe to the theory of “measure twice; go to cut once; stop, go back & measure again; measure another time to be sure; then cut - and it’ll be 10mm too short!!” :banghead:

Luckily I’ve had a member message me about an arrangement for building a neck, so it looks like I may be sorted for now. Thanks again everyone!
:)

Paisley

UPDATE: Custom Warwick Neck

Post by Paisley » 17 May 2018, 10:21

The madcap Warwick Fretless project I'm undergoing has just hit a fork in the road. 8|

Up until now I'd been looking to have someone build a Fretless neck for a 5 String Warwick body I have here. I've just come across an actual Warwick 5 String neck (fretted), albeit one that has a non functioning truss rod & a slight twist in the neck (both are common Achilles heels for Warwicks!) which I could get for a fairly modest price. It's the 2004 fat style neck, so there's the possibility of reshaping it slightly to get closer to the profile that I want.

Unusually for Warwick, the truss rods aren't crazy expensive to buy. I'm wondering whether the prospect of having someone replace the fretboard & truss rod on this existing neck would be a better bet? It seems to me that if the board is coming off anyway, it shouldn't be too much of an issue to replace the truss rod; likewise, the surface of the neck should be able to be evened out before fitting a fretless fingerboard, taking care of the twist.

Mind you I'm no expert in luthiery, so this is all in theory! :red face Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing having been done to a Warwick neck? (or any other neck for that matter)
Does it seem like a fairly straightforward operation, or would it be less fiddly/time consuming/costly to just have a neck built from scratch?

basshack

Post by basshack » 17 May 2018, 11:17

Seriously just come down to MSGM and build one that suits you. Yes you can strip the board off that broken one and replace the rod but you've still got to reshape and put a new finger board on anyway. You'd be saving yourself an evenings work at best. Classic 5 started with building just a neck, knew what he wanted shape wise and worked with the guys to get the result. Made a beautiful one and learnt some skills along the way.

As an aside a truss rod is a truss rod. I would be too fussed about buying a Warwick one if you go down that path.
><((((º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... >((((º>

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 17 May 2018, 12:19

Doing that much rework to a neck is not much less work than a build and potentially more if there are surprises, so unless it's cheap probably not worth it. Unless it comes with tuners, and you want the Warwick logo, stuff like that. Removing the board is certainly a task, then relevelling the neck face to take out the twist ready for the new ebony board, then the shaping/reshaping work which has to be done either path you take. This neck is already twisting so nothing to guarantee it won't keep moving over time, safer option is to start from scratch. I know it's a pain, I had a Warwick where the neck twisted, still played fine but I knew it was there and I was paranoid it would keep moving.

If you are prepared to buy a neck and have it reshaped/defretted there's a 5 string broad neck on ebay with no apparent issues, but again, probably the more expensive route than a fully custom built neck at the price it's going for.
Strings: Fender, Framus, Warwick, Custom
Knobs: Mesa, MarkBass
Patch: TC Electronic, Aguilar, T-Rex

drbass

Post by drbass » 17 May 2018, 12:26

A lot to be said for giving a “from scratch” approach under MSGM guidance a serious go. Same ball park in terms of cost (ball park!), you end up with something you know will work and you get an understanding how it all works.
Two left hands? Rubbish, even I can do it, and if you should run into trouble Dave and Rob will be able to get you back on the right path.

Regards,
Michael
- Merlin “Kermit” 6 multi, Merlin Gaia 6 fretless, Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3

Paisley

Post by Paisley » 18 May 2018, 10:34

Thanks for the replies guys; yep, decision time alright!! My head hurts...... 8/
narcdor wrote:
17 May 2018, 12:19
If you are prepared to buy a neck and have it reshaped/defretted there's a 5 string broad neck on ebay with no apparent issues, but again, probably the more expensive route than a fully custom built neck at the price it's going for.
Yep, I've seen that Warwick neck on the 'bay; looks nice, although there'd be a fair bit of work in reducing the width (those things are massive; something like 15mm wider than the standard Warwick neck!), & I'd still be looking at ripping off & replacing the board off anyway. I could definitely see that one ending up being a money pit; in fact the faulty neck would probably be less work (& will cost me a fraction of what that Broadneck is going for).
drbass wrote:
17 May 2018, 12:26
Two left hands? Rubbish, even I can do it, and if you should run into trouble Dave and Rob will be able to get you back on the right path.
Oh man; you should see the last Studio I built - lets just say I've discovered the joys of quad trim.... :lol:

Paisley

Post by Paisley » 18 May 2018, 10:52

Paisley wrote:
18 May 2018, 10:34
Thanks for the replies guys; yep, decision time alright!! My head hurts...... 8/
narcdor wrote:
17 May 2018, 12:19
Yep, I've seen that Warwick neck on the 'bay; looks nice, although there'd be a fair bit of work in reducing the width (those things are massive; something like 15mm wider than the standard Warwick neck!), & I'd still be looking at ripping off & replacing the board off anyway. I could definitely see that one ending up being a money pit; in fact the faulty neck would probably be less work (& would cost me a fraction of what that Broadneck is going for).
drbass wrote:
17 May 2018, 12:26
Oh man; you should see the last Studio I built - lets just say I've discovered the joys of quad trim.... :lol: